the beast

Weekend Thread - Insidious 29.6M, Jumanji 37.2M, TLJ 23.7M, TGS 13.8M, PP3 10.3

14 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Will Jumanji be the most surprising 300 grosser ever dom? Seems like Alice in Wonderland, Deadpool, American Sniper, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Passion of the Christ would be its  competitors in that field. 

I wish Sixth Sense had made it to 300. But of recent movies will throw in Zootopia. Even after the 75 ow it was 4x away from 300. Inside Out had done 3.96x with great reception and even for animations in recent years 4x has looked impossible for Fri openers (DM3's 3.6x was the biggest multi last year) unless the ow is very small. On top of that Zootopia (March 1st week) was gonna be followed by BVS, TJB and CW (March end-early May) so late legs and holding theaters was in question.

Edited by a2knet

26 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Worrisome is i think Lucasfilm does not have an overall gameplan for the next ten years

Not going to be one of those "Well, actually" folks, but, well actually, from what I understand they have something of a 'road map' planned out for the next decade or so.

Doesn't mean they'll adhere to said roadmap, but they do appear to have something approaching a Ten Year Plan, covering film, TV and other avenues.

(actually :ph34r:)

20 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Will Jumanji be the most surprising 300 grosser ever dom? Seems like Alice in Wonderland, Deadpool, American Sniper, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Passion of the Christ would be its  competitors in that field. 

No way.  It's not even the most surprising $300m gross of 2017.  

• Like 3

Just now, Mojoguy said:

Both Jumanji and IT were surprise 300m hits.

However, Jumanji successful faced off against TLJ as competition while IT faced absolutely nothing in September.

But then it was September - bereft of holidays unlike Christmas season. IT didn't get a boost of any kind, no 4-day weekend or anything.

1 minute ago, Biggestgeekever said:

The difference between IT and Jumanji is that no one thought the latter would hit 300 even after it opened.

That isn't totally true.  I said $250m+ and others had some predictions in the same realm.  Always thought it had the chance to break out.  

IT was stuck in September and broke all the rules there.  It had the much more shocking and incredible total run in my opinion even though people knew it would break the September opening record.  

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Forrest Gump 

11 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

The difference between IT and Jumanji is that no one thought the latter would hit 300 even after it opened.

Agreed. To be fair there were doubts around IT doing 300 even after a 123+ ow, and that it would show crazy 'Horror' drops. Could have folded below 250 with a 2.0x and I wouldn't have blinked.

Jumanji also had 300 dom doubts even a few days after it released. Removing pre-sales Jumanji did ~51m over it's 5-day ow (Wed-Sun) compared to ~56m for Sing. Sing's great legs (which recovered quickly from the post New Years drop) would have taken Juamnji to around 245 dom. But it's gonna be 244-245 by this weekend :lol:

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

If you didn't know IT was going to be massive in the weeks leading up to release then clearly you don't follow box office. It was showing signs it could hit 300. Jumanji on the other hand showed no signs that it would hit 300, even after release. 200+ was looking likely to some of us in the weeks before release, but even then we were a definite minority. Jumanji hitting 300 is easily more surprising than IT. 

Which is more impressive is completely irrelevant to the question of which is more surprising. IT definitely wins the former. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

I guess some people don't give a fuck about context.  Some movies make a billion.  Cool.  Take a look at a movie like IT.  It made about $700M.  On a $30M budget.  To me that's a bigger story than a movie that cost $200M+ to make and hundreds of millions in marketing crossing a billion. 

If TLJ didn't cross a billion than something went TERRIBLY wrong...   

Edited by Johnny Tran
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

If you didn't know IT was going to be massive in the weeks leading up to release then clearly you don't follow box office. It was showing signs it could hit 300. Jumanji on the other hand showed no signs that it would hit 300, even after release. 200+ was looking likely to some of us in the weeks before release, but even then we were a definite minority. Jumanji hitting 300 is easily more surprising than IT. 

Which is more impressive is completely irrelevant to the question of which is more surprising. IT definitely wins the former. 

That is revisionist history of the highest order unless you are talking about 2 weeks max prior and even that is suspect.  

Edited by EmpireCity
  • Like 6