Ezen Baklattan

BOT Golden Globes - Ceremony Discussion Thread!

Well, the woman narrative should help Gerwig at least for a nom, but 3B has the pumped up justice/revenge/etc thing going which may give it an edge when it comes to Picture. It's much bigger representative of what Hollywood was droning on all night about than Lady Bird. 

Unless backlash over racism becomes deafening. Right now, the crowd was super pumped for that win. Super, super pumped. 

Edited by Valonqar

2 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Anyway, I guess it is a good thing that How I Met Your Dad went nowhere.

:sparta:

lol I completely forgot that was almost a thing. Amazing how CBS was like "let's create a How I Met Your Mother universe" and then the horribly-received finale for the show came along and they were like "uh maybe not."

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Oscars nailed the last two years, giving it to the best movies when it very much looked like they wouldn't. I have faith they go Get Out or Lady Bird and do it again. But we'll see. There's five potential winners.

Get Out doesn't deserve to win BP at all. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Huh? No one is going crazy over Three Billboards winning at all. My Twitter has reacted with a gigantic shrug. Three Billboards doesn't have much buzz among general audiences one way or the other. Lady Bird is the indie movie with buzz, and Get Out and The Post seem to be driving the rest of the conversation.

And they weren't "droning on." Cut it out. They had a right to speak up.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Noctis said:

Get Out doesn't deserve to win BP at all. 

Get Out is our best chance for Genre win because it's also important. It's always genre vs importance and this year stars lined up and the movie is both. Unfortunately, political narrative, at least from tonight's ceremony, is not supporting that kind of importance which is why 3B won. 

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Huh? No one is going crazy over Three Billboards winning at all. My Twitter has reacted with a gigantic shrug. Three Billboards doesn't have much buzz among general audiences one way or the other. Lady Bird is the indie movie with buzz, and Get Out and The Post seem to be driving the rest of the conversation.

I think they have a right to speak up,

However, knowing that there are probably more than a few assholes among the crowd makes me uncomfortable. Feels self congratulatory in a way for some of the audience to act like they haven't done something or seen something and put their heads down and that they're the good ones (as in the general audience)

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 6

This year actually reminds me of 2015 in terms of contenders and where they stand. Three Billboards = Spotlight. Dunkirk = Mad Max: Fury Road and The Shape of Water = The Revenant. I guess Get Out = The Martian, Lady Bird = The Big Short, The Post = Bridge of Spies, and Call Me by Your Name = Room. I guess The Big Sick and I, Tonya are some combo of Brooklyn (Sundance favorite/Actress contender).

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Considering how big deal they made about equality, her name better be read on the Oscar morning or Hollywood will look really REALLY stupid if she is snubbed. 

I will be shocked if at least either Gerwig or Peele doesn't get in. Fair shot both make it in too. 

I'm disappointed Three Billboards won Best Drama. While Frances McDormand is fierce and fantastic in it, I don't think it is a great, cohesive movie, and it has some problematic aspects.

I reaaally need to see Lady Bird and The Shape of Water.

I've been hopeful that Call Me by Your Name can win something at the Oscars, but that seems less and less likely. 

On the TV side, if you haven't watched Big Littles Lies yet (which obviously the HFPA just showered with wins), I highly recommend it. 

Peace,

Mike

• Like 2

Just now, MikeQ said:

I've been hopeful that Call Me by Your Name can win something at the Oscars, but that seems less and less likely.

Best Adapted Screenplay is pretty much a done deal. Its closest competition (Molly's Game, The Disaster Artist, Mudbound) have close to zero chances at getting Best Picture nominations.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I personally hated Billboards. I went in thinking it was a great oscar caliber film. The topic and cast made it seem so. The trailer felt super weird and off, but I thought it was just a bad cut. I got an hour in and turned if off. I love these actors, but the whole thing felt super obtuse and completely off color with the characterization and the violence. Has this person ever been to middle America? Then I realized it was Martin McDonagh and it all made sense. You have this very British director and writer trying to tell a subtle story about rural America. Yeah no. He has no idea what he is talking about. The characters were completely wrong across the board. The violence felt more in line with In Bruges or Seven Psychopaths than what they were trying to do here. The tone was cartoony, and it should not have been at all. Terrible choice for best pic IMO

• Like 3