Eric is Quiet

West Side Story | 10 DEC 2021 | RIP Stephen Sondheim | Comes to Disney+ March 2nd

9 hours ago, Cap said:

As someone's who true passions are basically musicals and the MCU (Let's go, Kevin.  Disco Dazzler Musical!! Make it Happen!), I really can not stress enough that this was a movie that basically no one wanted.  And Spider-Man had nothing to do with that.  

There wasn't a great demand for remake. Most of the response I saw on the Internet and in heard in real was "Why?" It's not like the property -- between the original film, multiple cast recordings available, multiple Broadway revivals (last one was **2020**) -- isn't super accessible to those looking for it.  Between that, Ansel, COVID, and older women not running to the theater, the writing was on the wall months ago.  Even in a perfect scenario, I think it would've had trouble getting to 100M.

Now all of that said -- if Wicked bombs, then yeah.  Musicals are dead.  But I would not write off the genre based on this.

Meh. "Nobody wanted" Little Women remake yet it received some of the best reviews of the year and grossed over 200m WW. Also, the audience reception is very positive to West Side Story... "A" cinemascore, 7.9 IMDB, 94 Rotten Tomatoes audience score. In a perfect scenario, I'm not sure why this would have struggled getting to 100m

• Like 4

Just now, AJG said:

Boy Disney are still trying with this movie…

Probably because this is expected to get +10 nominees or so at Oscars.

Not every marketing campaign is about box office, it's a flop like pretty much everything this year failed, but still they need to keep the movie alive to get those nominations.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

DeBose is also pretty much the one closest to being considered a lock for an acting nomination out of anyone from this (who knows, maybe even the frontrunner for her category? Anita tends to be the role that always gets the most recognition whenever the play is revived). Might as well take advantage when there isn't much happening on the pop culture scene for SNL to latch onto.

• Like 1

Zegler and DeBose have actually tweeted and acknowledged the wins

I guess performative boycotting is meaningless until it benefits you lol. But expected. I figured studios would cave. They have no choice since awards buzz is what keeps them alive and Fox needs all the help after the opening weekend floppage

7 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I guess performative boycotting is meaningless until it benefits you lol. But expected. I figured studios would cave. They have no choice since awards buzz is what keeps them alive and Fox needs all the help after the opening weekend floppage

Yeah, it seems really stupid. You're boycotting this event because it's corrupt and racist...and now you're so honored that these corrupt racists like your work? Make it make sense

1 hour ago, snarkmachine said:

Yeah, it seems really stupid. You're boycotting this event because it's corrupt and racist...and now you're so honored that these corrupt racists like your work? Make it make sense

8 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

This year’s winners were pretty diverse, so how racist can the Globes be? They've done the work, racism solved! /s

Even the movie's Twitter account posted about the wins:

Definitely got a reluctant vibe from Zegler's tweet about the win and she's seemed pretty eager/excited about awards all season.

Will Fox cut adds touting the wins? Stay tuned... Even all the awards media/junkies who know about the HFPA are acting like these results seriously say something about the state of the Oscar race. The average person who watches awards shows for the fashion/jokes may remember there was some sort of scandal with the Globes, or they may just think there was no ceremony because of Covid/Zoom Fatigue.

9 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

2 hours ago, snarkmachine said:

Celebrities being fake activists is nothing new. How many of them renounced their "white privilege" without renouncing their multi-million dollar homes? Oh wait, ALL of them except Michael Sheen who actually sold his house to finance his charity and returned his OBE so that he could continue to criticize the monarchy without being a hypocrite. 

WSS didn't just bomb on OW. Legs aren't there and OS is even worse than dom. No public interest in this movie anywhere in the world despite millions still poured into attempts to lure audience. 

32 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

This year’s winners were pretty diverse, so how racist can the Globes be? They've done the work, racism solved! /s

I wonder what it say about just how much American are exporting their views on racism and diversity in such a blunt way, that one of the most diverse award body ever made that was the HFPA, born from all over the world and writing for publication of all over the world could be perceived to have a big diversity issue.

HFPA recent former president was named Meher Tatna, was from India, I think only 3 of the 87 voters were Americans which has a bit of the point (Euros, Asian, Indian, South Americans, etc...), to expect that body to reflect American diversity and have member of the American-X community and trying to impose American population type of views and diversity on the Foreign entertainment press.....

They even had a voter that was almost blind and deaf.

I would not mix activism here with the situation too much (how many people life get lifted for the better if anything change with the HFPA, come on), it was a not controlled/owned by the industry powerful and hated group.

Edited by Barnack

2 hours ago, snarkmachine said:

NBC didn't broadcast any event to boycott. There wasn't any event to broadcast to boycott. 

I dont think anyone that tweeted about winning a golden globe actually said anything about boycotting the golden globes.

Also the alt-right twitter accounts zero-ing in on every black or brown person acknowledging they won a golden globe is so weird to me.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, AJG said:

NBC didn't broadcast any event to boycott. There wasn't any event to broadcast to boycott. 

I dont think anyone that tweeted about winning a golden globe actually said anything about boycotting the golden globes.

Also the alt-right twitter accounts zero-ing in on every black or brown person acknowledging they won a golden globe is so weird to me.

The HFPA was still trying to make an "event" out of it last week, it's just that the stars/studios largely declined to participate and their hopes for a livestream fell through. There are links about it in the awards section here. Every year stars would screen their projects for the HFPA and gushingly acknowledge their nominations. Studios would instantly cut ads touting the nominations. Even without a ceremony, Hollywood clearly blanked the Golden Globes this season...until now.

If anyone was going to acknowledge their wins, it would be winners who aren't white and from a diverse project so I'm not surprised by the WSS response. The Power of the Dog people probably won't say anything about their Globe wins, there's no upside for them and they don't need the publicity.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl