Eric Loves Rey

West Side Story | 10 DEC 2021 | RIP Stephen Sondheim | Comes to Disney+ March 2nd

Matt Belloni tells us the budget for this one

Spielberg isn’t going to love the weekend numbers for West Side Story, which is tracking lower than expected in all categories. Even with those ecstatic reviews, a domestic opening in the teens is likely, and even single digits is possible. And because of the packed holiday corridor, old-people Covid fears, a nine-figure budget (officially it’s $100 million; my sources say closer to $130 million), and Spielberg’s top-of-market deal, Disney is looking at another money-loser inherited from Fox. Thanks, Rupert.    

• Like 2

100-130m is insane but he is Spielberg. And every cent is on screen

Didn't love as much as I wanted. That said, every musical sequence is magnificently staged and achieves a scale unprecedented for modern Hollywood. The camera is so excited to catch these performers and every frame is splashed with spikes of color. The issues just come down to the source material itself and Kushner's wordy screenplay amplifies them.

Hoping it can still do well at box office. We don't really need another 300m Disney opening next weekend lol. 

Dear evan Hansen: 8m opening on a 25 M budget during a pandemic. Media: wow such a disaster, let's make 8000 articles in a day about it

West side story: 14M opening on a 130M budget during a pandemic. Media: an encouraging start, we are in a pandemic, you have to think about that. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

2 hours ago, vale900 said:

Dear evan Hansen: 8m opening on a 25 M budget during a pandemic. Media: wow such a disaster, let's make 8000 articles in a day about it

West side story: 14M opening on a 130M budget during a pandemic. Media: an encouraging start, we are in a pandemic, you have to think about that. 

All that Black Widow hoopla earlier this year is really embarrassing in hindsight. Covid keeps shifting the goalpost.

Imagine taking on the greatest musical ever made, and with each and every classic number, bettering every one. Lol. 

Iconic musical sequences with his own unique stamp on them - what a delight. 

I can’t speak for those that have never seen the original film, or an adaptation of the musical before. So the events play like I knew them to the letter (for the most part). But the tears flowed from the quality of the filmmaking which is just peerless. If you’re a Spielberg fan, there’s sequences in this that are like Xmas come early. 

The movie is flat out great. 

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

20 hours ago, wildphantom said:

In my seat about to start.  10am first show and I’m the only one in here. Private screening for my most anticipated film of the year. Bliss….

Mixed feelings about seeing this film in a crowd. On one hand, feels like the kind of film to watch with a crowd. On the other hand, watching it alone means no one to see me sobbing for the final 30 minutes.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, vale900 said:

Rules are always different for films the media folks want to win.

Genuinely got overwhelmed by this one. About midway through the Tonight (Quinet) I just straight up burst into tears and was pretty much a goner from there until the credits rolled. So much love and care put into every single frame. Spielberg at the absolute top of his game.

Only two other girls in my showing who made an effort to sit on polar opposite ends of the theatre to one another.

• Like 5