filmlover

Best Actor Predictions 2018

2 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

I keep going back to Cooper as the clear frontrunner due to his possible other multiple nominations for Director, Pictures, Adapted Screenplay, etc.

No individual has ever an Acting Oscar AND a Technical/Creative Oscar in the evening.  Most of the same night, multiple Oscar winners are writers/directors or directors/producers (or writer/director/producer in like the case of the Coen Brothers, Peter Jackson, Alejandro González Iñárritu, etc).

So, unless Cooper is about to make history [and make you a sadface Roma fan], Actor feels like the logical "A Star is Born was excellent, we're not giving you four Oscars, please accept this as our show of gratitude" Award.  Especially if voters are trying to spread their love around, which they seem to be doing more and more of.

(Interesting enough, Gaga could ALSO be the first if she wins Best Actress and Best Song.  But MPR had slowed down my Gaga is the Clear Winner train on both of those awards.) 

I think Actor and Actress are the cats ASIB has the best shot in.

I think Director and Cinematography might as well be Cuaron’s to lose.

Picture is tough because I’m not sure if the Academy will necessarily be wanting to shower Cooper or Cuaron with Oscars. But if they shower one of them, Cuaron makes more sense.

• Like 1

Just now, PANDA said:

I think Actor and Actress are the cats ASIB has the best shot in.

I think Director and Cinematography might as well be Cuaron’s to lose.

Picture is tough because I’m not sure if the Academy will necessarily be wanting to shower Cooper or Cuaron with Oscars. But if they shower one of them, Cuaron makes more sense.

Totally agreed.

I also think this year with Picture, you could have another Spotlight-esque win that feels out of left field.  It's still really early, and it feels like a lot of the so-called favorites are underwhelming.  I think Picture is WAY more wide open at the moment.

Edited by captainwondyful
i can't type

8 hours ago, Spagspiria said:

I’m....starting to think Rami could win.

I’ve been a fan of his from before Mr. Robot and liked his performance in BR but this is starting to seem like a very real and very scary possibility based on the film’s performance so far. Especially if they decide awarding Cooper in another category is enough and BR ends up a Best Picture nominee. Also helps his case that he’s the only person in serious contention in his category playing a real person with the most likely chance at winning (Mortensen’s performance isn’t showy enough and Bale is both a previous winner and in a film that’s looking to be a critical/financial nonstarter).

22 minutes ago, YLF said:

Are you guys going to watch the critics choice awards? Does this have any implications for the oscars? Lol

If their affect varies from a year by year basis, then I think it's safe to say this year is not the year for maximum critics' influence.

Still hope Ethan Hawke sneaks in.

Edited by Slambros