La Binoche

A24's HEREDITARY

2 hours ago, baumer said:

The proof is that they like crappy ridiculous films like it comes at night and the babadook LOL

Come on now, do you really not see what some people would love in those movie watching experience, babadook was so so good and one of the most frightening movie I ever saw, It comes at night was not as special but still really good.

A bit like humor, experience with movie that work a lot on mood will vary a lot from people to people.

At a visceral level I have a hard time not understanding how someone didn't love Manchester by the sea, everytime I rewatch it I am blown away by how good the writing is and everything that executed from it, but at a rational level it is obvious. Movies are a fun way to explore emotion and human experience via empathy in the safety of not taking any risk, the realm of those experience that people want to semi live by proxy will change by people to people, I have little interest in gore horror but from time to time those extreme emotion's presented in a ICAN or babadook are great human extreme to explore to some, so it is easy to transfer my feeling about not wanting to experience gore horror type to someone that would not like to explore those 2, without having to think that the gory movie is ridiculous crap.

To think a movie is crappy because it does not work with you personally but do for many people is just strange and something that should disappear a bit once you ever have a different experience with a movie in a rewatch (either now feel like a bad movie while it felt like a good movie on first watch or vice versa)

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

Horror means different things to different people. I say I love horror films because I love films that can evoke an extreme emotion out of me, be it in the form of suspense, anxiety or terror. I found It Comes at Night incredibly suspenseful throughout the entire runtime, and I found The Conjuring a complete bore. A lot of other people have the opposite opinion to me, and that's fine. We can still both say we enjoy horror films. 

• Like 2

Movies scarier than Babadook:

When Harry Met Sally

Citizen Kane

Pretty in Pink

basic Instinct

The Astronaut's Wife

Punch Drunk Love

Heathers

And so on

Babadook was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad excuse for a film.  IMO.

15 minutes ago, baumer said:

Movies scarier than Babadook:

When Harry Met Sally

Citizen Kane

Pretty in Pink

basic Instinct

The Astronaut's Wife

Punch Drunk Love

Heathers

And so on

Babadook was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad excuse for a film.  IMO.

Good for you, I thought it was pretty scary. And it's a very popular movie here in Australia and everyone I've talked to loves it. The fact that it was such a small movie and you're still going on about it four years later just highlights its impact. 

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

So we can probably expect baumer to hate Hereditary, but I still think it's in a pretty good spot right now. Haven't been many horror movies, critically acclaimed or otherwise, since A Quiet Place.

2 months isn't a very long time between acclaimed horror movies, but I guess it's been a while since there's been an old-fashioned supernatural ghost film with rave reviews. The Oscar buzz around Toni Collette might help to, even if it is only June. 

• Like 1

You guys know I love the horror genre, it's my favourite genre.  But there are films that were marketed as horror that never should have been imo.  Babadook and ICAN are two of them.

3 hours ago, Fanboy said:

Good for you, I thought it was pretty scary. And it's a very popular movie here in Australia and everyone I've talked to loves it. The fact that it was such a small movie and you're still going on about it four years later just highlights its impact. 

It didn't make an impact at all.  It came and went and now no one remembers anything about it.  

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

It didn't make an impact at all.  It came and went and now no one remembers anything about it.  

Um, are you saying no one remembers the greatest LGBTQ icon of all time?

Image result for babadook lgbtq

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

You guys know I love the horror genre, it's my favourite genre.  But there are films that were marketed as horror that never should have been imo.  Babadook and ICAN are two of them.

From a box office stand point that would make no sense. Even with the terrible legs it had, It Comes at Night wouldn't have done half as much if it was marketed as an indie drama. 

26 minutes ago, baumer said:

I am trying to understand your perspecctive but to begin with I should know what is your definition of a horror movie?

Does it have to scare you individually to classify it as horror? Should there be gore or jumpscares? 

6 hours ago, baumer said:

I didn’t like The Babadook either, mostly because of the child actors performance.

But it’s still highly regarded in the horror community. Usually in he same sentence as It Follows and The Witch.

I didn’t like The Witch and I only appreciated It Follows on second viewing. 

I don't need a single drop of blood or any scene of extreme violence.

Just don't have the "horror" be the character's imagination.

"Subverting the viewer's expectations" is something critics drool over but it almost always disappoints audiences.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Barnack said:

To think a movie is crappy because it does not work with you personally but do for many people is just strange and something that should disappear a bit once you ever have a different experience with a movie in a rewatch (either now feel like a bad movie while it felt like a good movie on first watch or vice versa)

It's a fine line. I routinely decisively call movies good/bad/etc. instead of just saying I liked or didn't like them but I'm conscious of having to communicate that a movie was good or bad for me, if I not only say that something is crap but at the same time imply that everyone who thinks otherwise is wrong I'm obviously not doing it right. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

It's a fine line. I routinely decisively call movies good/bad/etc. instead of just saying I liked or didn't like them but I'm conscious of having to communicate that a movie was good or bad for me, if I not only say that something is crap but at the same time imply that everyone who thinks otherwise is wrong I'm obviously not doing it right. 

Yeah, opinions and whatnot, but when talking about a movie in a social context you have to acknowledge what the general atmosphere is if you hope to get anywhere. No one is going to care if you casually label something like Bright a "bad movie", but you just can't do that with any movie you hate, especially if you're using good/bad to make a larger point that relies on your audience agreeing with the premise. 

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, TombRaider said:

The Babadook was amazing. bu it wasnt horror, it was a depressing drama

You're suggesting the two are mutually exclusive?

There's a reason that a lot of great horror movies have an element of mundane tragedy or drama present from the beginning. Because that subconsciously unsettles the audience and thus makes it easier to create a scary atmosphere. The Babadook just puts a greater emphasis on that mundane tragedy and drama and makes it the foundation for the slowly building horror to come.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:

You're suggesting the two are mutually exclusive?

There's a reason that a lot of great horror movies have an element of mundane tragedy or drama present from the beginning. Because that subconsciously unsettles the audience and thus makes it easier to create a scary atmosphere. The Babadook just puts a greater emphasis on that mundane tragedy and drama and makes it the foundation for the slowly building horror to come.

Shamelessly advertising my horror countdown, since you seem to have quite a smiliar mindset like me when it comes to horror movies

• Like 1