La Binoche

A24's HEREDITARY

I really wish A24 had the money to give this film the studio promotion it deserves. With the reviews Hereditary has, it could generate so much hype. I hope it is audience-friendly enough to at least get a B- CinemaScore. 

2 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

I really wish A24 had the money to give this film the studio promotion it deserves. With the reviews Hereditary has, it could generate so much hype. I hope it is audience-friendly enough to at least get a B- CinemaScore. 

B- is where I think it’ll land. The lack of horror for a significant portion of the movie is going to make some people antsy.

28 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

I'm reading the movie's synopsis now ( full ). So far, I've read half of it ( as I can tell ).

There's no way this movie is getting a B- CinemaScore. 

Edit: I've just read the whole thing. Yeah, I guess CinemaScore won't be pretty for this movie. I have no idea how people will react to this thing. I was imagining the whole thing while I was reading. Definitely not audience friendly. No way, really no way. In fact, I still don't know what the hell did I just read, lol. Some crazy shit, obviously.

Edited by Blaze Heatnix
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Is this movie getting a wide release?

For those who have already watched it, any ideas about CinemaScore for this? Most of the reviews say: "People will ask "what the hell did I just watch?". lol

It's definately not an F cinemascore outright Lie like it was with "It comes at night". The marketing isn't really deceptive and I'm saying this as someone who has already seen it twice. They could have went balls to the wall and sell it as an exorcism, ocultism, possession type of film but they are not. It's clear it's a film that has great scary atmosphere but aims much higher than a typical horror. Of course some people will be dissatisfied since there is a certain group of horror viewers who go to most wide releases not looking like shit so I assume it will be a "B" Cinemascore. "C" only if they change the marketing later into the game.

It will probably get a wide release.

16 hours ago, filmlover said:

It is but the marketing campaign has been nonexistent. I'll be surprised if this does more than a high-single digits opening.

They will probably ramp it up now for the last week. I assume they wanted to wait out Solo, Deadpool and Avengers. A24 is really smart with their marketing planing, they just don't have the money to fight the big boys.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I'm reading the movie's synopsis now ( full ). So far, I've read half of it ( as I can tell ).

There's no way this movie is getting a B- CinemaScore. 

Edit: I've just read the whole thing. Yeah, I guess CinemaScore won't be pretty for this movie. I have no idea how people will react to this thing. I was imagining the whole thing while I was reading. Definitely not audience friendly. No way, really no way. In fact, I still don't know what the hell did I just read, lol. Some crazy shit, obviously.

It will be lower than B- only if people who go to see it have seen a completely different marketing than what we see now. After watching the trailers I was not really surprised by the movie. It is NOT as slow paced as The witch or It comes at night. This is important to remember. So far I know of 30+ people who have seen the movie (press etc) and only one didn't like it because inside he is a 12 year old boy (no seriously, he prefers my little pony to this)

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, norbar said:

It will be lower than B- only if people who go to see it have seen a completely different marketing than what we see now. After watching the trailers I was not really surprised by the movie. It is NOT as slow paced as The witch or It comes at night. This is important to remember. So far I know of 30+ people who have seen the movie (press etc) and only one didn't like it because inside he is a 12 year old boy (no seriously, he prefers my little pony to this)

I have no idea, but I know I was shocked to read what happens halfway. I actually stopped reading and even went for a walk. Then I came back to read the rest.

It'll probably shock many people. I'll be surprised if this gets anything higher than C on CinemaScore. It doesn't mean the movie itself is bad, but it's definitely not audience friendly. 

Judging by it's 100% score on Rotten Tomatoes 33 reviews in, it will probably end up with 95%+. That would be pretty unprecedented for a film to get a C CinemaScore with that kind of universal acclaim from critics, would it not? 

I'm getting as many people as I can into the theatre when it's released here on June 7th. It'll be interesting to see what they all think of it given some of them hate horror movies. 

38 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

Judging by it's 100% score on Rotten Tomatoes 33 reviews in, it will probably end up with 95%+. That would be pretty unprecedented for a film to get a C CinemaScore with that kind of universal acclaim from critics, would it not? 

I'm getting as many people as I can into the theatre when it's released here on June 7th. It'll be interesting to see what they all think of it given some of them hate horror movies. 

Critics and general audiences hardly agree, regarding horror movies and movies in general.

It Comes at Night was fresh on RT, but got a D CinemaScore.

The Wolf of Wall Street was fresh on RT, but got a C CinemaScore.

I have no idea where Hereditary will land. I watched the first trailer and I read the whole movie's complete plot. The trailers definitely are telling something different if compared to what I read. 

Edited by Blaze Heatnix

Just now, Blaze Heatnix said:

Critics and general audiences hardly agree, regarding horror movies and movies in general.

I have no idea whehe Hereditary will land. I watched the first trailer and I read the whole movie's complete plot. The trailers definitely are telling something different if compared to what I read. 

Both of those films had considerably more negative reviews than Hereditary has gotten so far. I've read the plot too but the trailers aren't hiding the fact that it's disturbing, they're just trying not to spoil the movie. I think A24 are marketing the film in the best way they possibly can. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I have no idea where Hereditary will land. I watched the first trailer and I read the whole movie's complete plot. The trailers definitely are telling something different if compared to what I read. 

Where can I read spoilers?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

Both of those films had considerably more negative reviews than Hereditary has gotten so far. I've read the plot too but the trailers aren't hiding the fact that it's disturbing, they're just trying not to spoil the movie. I think A24 are marketing the film in the best way they possibly can. 

Well, it's still way too early. Eventually there'll be a rotten review for the movie. Horror movies hardly stay at 100% on RT. 

Yeah, the trailers aren't hiding the fact that it's disturbing, but the trailer is definitely hiding the fact that the movie is much more disturbing than it seems. That's why i have no idea about how audiences will react.

Yeah, I'd rather the trailer for a movie like this look dull or confusing than spoil the movie. Then again, I'm going to see it because of A24's reputation so I'm not necessarily someone who needs to be sold. I can look it at it that way

I wish I had avoided reading spoilers because I feel like it might have taken a lot of the shock out of the actual movie. I still think it sounds way more appealing than The Witch or It Comes at Night to general audiences. Hopefully it can survive with decent drops next to The Incredibles 2 and JW. Completely different audiences, but when opening weekends are looking at 150M potential they tend to suck up the entire market. 

• Like 3