La Binoche

A24's HEREDITARY

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

I'm excited for this for sure but not gonna lie the preview got laughs and laughs in front of Deadpool. That wacky voiceover not helping

Every time I've gotten it it's gotten opposite reactions.  Played very well in front of my nearly sold out A Quiet Place audience

1 hour ago, Ranger Tree said:

Just because some people overpredicted the performance of The Witch doesn't mean it flopped.

It seems funny that people celebrated Ex Machina's performance but decry The Witch... even though Ex Machina cost 3x as much.

Ex machina is actually a great movie that's remembered. No one cares about the witch

6 hours ago, TombRaider said:

They flopped.

I imagine you are probably just trolling at this point, but under your evaluation how many millions does those movies lost ?

For example those movies made money and got sequels greenlight:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=beforesunrise.htm

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $5,535,405    100.0%
Foreign:  n/a    0.0%

Worldwide:  $5,535,405

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=beforesunset.htm

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $5,820,649    36.4%
Foreign:  $10,171,966    63.6%

Worldwide:  $15,992,615  

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=beforemidnight.htm

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $8,114,627    72.6%
Foreign:  $3,061,842    27.4%

Worldwide:  $11,176,469  

Before Midnight with is 3million dollar budget and a 10.5m marketing + prints cost made a small profit for Sony Classic:

Before Midnight revenues:

Domestic theatrical: 2.862m (just 35% retention unlike regular studio release or more popular genre like horror can get)

Intl theatrical: 0.396m

Domestic home ent: 5.903m

Domestic PPV: 0.629m

Intl home ent: 0.496m

intl home ent ppv: 0.081m

domestic pay tv: 2.01m

domestic free tv: 0.6m

Intl tv: 1.7m

Airlines & soundtrack: 0.15m

other: 0.34m

Total revenues: 15.167m

Expense

Net production: 3m

participation: 0.1m

residual: 0.4m

Marketings: 9.141m

prints&Others: 1.01m

manufacturing: 1.154m

Total expenses: 14.805m

Profit: around 362k

Why movies with similar production budget more than doubling that box office performance (and almost quadrupling for The Witch) would loose money ?

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, TombRaider said:

Ex machina is actually a great movie that's remembered. No one cares about the witch

Ehh you are one of those people - guys who came here to not really talk about box office results and you will trash movies that did well commercially but you didn't like and hype movies that failed commercially but you liked. It's funny since Ex-Machina is in the green probably only after VOD and TV, definately not from Cinemas. 

3 hours ago, TombRaider said:

And Flop = underperformed

No.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box_office_bomb

In the motion picture industry, a "box office bomb" or "box office flop" is a film that is considered highly unsuccessful or unprofitable during its theatrical run, often following significant hype regarding its cost, production, or marketing efforts.[1][2] Generally, any film for which the production and marketing costs exceed the combined revenue recovered after release is considered to have "bombed"

And The Witch didn't underperform it did 10+ times it's budget for a movie speaking old english.

What is The Witch ROI you think and what ROI would it have not under performed according to you ?

Remove the horror genre aspect to that release and I really doubt you would be talking about a 40m+ box office movie on a 4m budget has a flop, was The Gift a big disappointment (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=blumhousejuly2015.htm), if The Witch was a flop I would imagine you think that it is the case.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

On 5/22/2018 at 3:43 PM, TombRaider said:

The witch:

Total Est. Domestic Video Sales $4,345,743

Ex machina:

Total Est. Domestic Video Sales $9,668,513  

That's what matters.

Not in terms of greenlighting new movies. It's not 1994 and studios don't greenlit movies based on video sales. Box office is still the primiary measure of success for studios and international distributors and it influences if a director will get to make more movies, how much creative freedom he gets, if similar movies will get greenlit, will the actors get new roles etc.

Also yeah Ex Machina probably did more on TV, Pay TV and VOD sales but still it had a way higher budget. You are ignoring it only because you like one movie more than the other. Hell I like Ex Machina more than the Witch but that doesn't mean I have to lie. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Is this movie getting a wide release?

For those who have already watched it, any ideas about CinemaScore for this? Most of the reviews say: "People will ask "what the hell did I just watch?". lol

It is but the marketing campaign has been nonexistent. I'll be surprised if this does more than a high-single digits opening.