La Binoche

A24's HEREDITARY

3 hours ago, rukaio101 said:

You're suggesting the two are mutually exclusive?

There's a reason that a lot of great horror movies have an element of mundane tragedy or drama present from the beginning. Because that subconsciously unsettles the audience and thus makes it easier to create a scary atmosphere. The Babadook just puts a greater emphasis on that mundane tragedy and drama and makes it the foundation for the slowly building horror to come.

I see you're a man of culture.

It's honestly depressing to read posts like the ones I've seen in this thread and several others about movies like The Babadook not being horror. Like fucking seriously, if The Babadook isn't horror then neither is The Haunting, one of the best horror movies ever made.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

It's honestly depressing to read posts like the ones I've seen in this thread and several others about movies like The Babadook not being horror. Like fucking seriously, if The Babadook isn't horror then neither is The Haunting, one of the best horror movies ever made.

Hopefully not referring to the 1999 version. :lol:

• Like 2

I can't wait to see this.

EDIT: To anyone who has seen a screening, what are the closest comps? Is this Mother!, The Sixth Sense, The Babagook, The Witch, or something else?

Edited by Pure Spirit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

Which version of the Haunting?

• Like 1

Horror fans that grew up with slashers are hyper protective of the genre and prefer umbrella to be small rather than the large umbrella the genre is... It's one of more bizarre, vexing, nonsensical fandom responses. No other genre provokes responses of not only did I not find it scary, it's not even a horror film. It's downright weird.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Horror fans that grew up with slashers are hyper protective of the genre and prefer umbrella to be small rather than the large umbrella the genre is... It's one of more bizarre, vexing, nonsensical fandom responses. No other genre provokes responses of not only did I not find it scary, it's not even a horror film. It's downright weird.

I LOVED slashers when I was a teen but that genre has been dead for almost 10 years (right after the slasher remakes happened) so I understand why he's pressed. But 1996-1998 with Scream, IKWYDLS, Urban legend and Halloween h20 was so fun

• Like 1

On 03/06/2018 at 1:21 AM, baumer said:

Babadook and ICAN had the same praise.... scariest film in years. Just further cementing the point that critics don't understand horror movies at all.

Very true. 

But these reviews are really getting into describing press/audience members coming away really disturbed and shaken. Which I can’t recall about those movies. Might be wrong though. 

I bet baumer also thinks The Shining isn't a horror film.

I agree with johnnygossamer it's really weird how some horror fans object to anything in the genre that doesn't appeal specifically to them.

16 hours ago, Lucas said:

This is quickly becoming the movie I'm looking forward to the most this whole year and the fact that I'm not getting it until the 27th of July is killing me.

Day trip to Norway will allow you to see it 5 weeks earlier ;) 

15 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Might be sort of a hipster mentality there. They liked it that the outside world thought their fandom was low art. The thought that it truly could've been done better puts them on the defensive. 

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I hope that's not me you are talking about.  There are tons of horror movies I love that have nothing to do with the slasher genre.  There's too many of them to list.  I just don't really like certain films that are marketed one way and then pull the rug out from under you.  There are a few films mentioned in this thread that have done that.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ranger Tree said:

I bet baumer also thinks The Shining isn't a horror film.

I agree with johnnygossamer it's really weird how some horror fans object to anything in the genre that doesn't appeal specifically to them.

Oh come on?  Seriously?  The Shining is one of my favourite horror films.

1 minute ago, baumer said:

I hope that's not me you are talking about.  There are tons of horror movies I love that have nothing to do with the slasher genre.  There's too many of them to list.  I just don't really like certain films that are marketed one way and then pull the rug out from under you.  There are a few films mentioned in this thread that have done that.  

Don't ever trust marketing, then. Makes things a lot easier.