La Binoche

A24's HEREDITARY

2 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

First 3 Audience Reactions from Rotten Tomatoes:

1) I was so pumped to see this movie but was sadly let down. I was really hoping for a jumping off your seat horror. The movie took off slowly, setting the scene for the first hour. Then I thought buckle up here we go, but it was a false alarm. The last 1/2 hour of the movie seemed to have completely lost it, it skipped trying to be a scary movie and just went straight to ridiculous... all the actors did a great job though, the writers could have done far more with the story line creating more suspense, thrill, surprise and fear.. most of the movie theatre goers were laughing, as we were

2) Talk about dragging and drawn out, we were both so let down, if this was the scariest movie ever I'll eat my own fat arse on toast. Couldn't scare a goddam chook.
The actors were all ugly the acting was SHYTE, the story was boring and a waste of my hard earned $67.
Never again will I believe anyone when they tell me a movie is really scary ever again. 

HINT DON'T BOTHER

3) I think Joni Mitchelle deserves a public apology for her brilliant song being at the end of such a TERRIBLE MOVIE. Please someone explain to me how this was a solid plot at all. I feel bad for the actors, I hope y'all got PAID .... was I drunk when I saw this? Who is paying you to give it 95? Listen, you can pay me too.... I'm not above it. Pay me, and with the money, I'll make my own movie. I have indigestion now

Only the first one sounds legit. Who tf pays $67 for a movie? :hahaha: 

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

On the first one sounds legit. Who tf pays $67 for a movie? :hahaha: 

Depends on where that user lives.

Here in Brazil tickets are expensive, very expensive. I think it's subjective. 

Edited by Blaze Heatnix

Seeing this tomorrow afternoon but I can't understand how critics can talk about how scary the movie is and it looks like general audiences find it a bore-fest if these reactions are accurate.

Just hoping this is more like The Witch and not It Comes At Night.

4 minutes ago, Gamera said:

Seeing this tomorrow afternoon but I can't understand how critics can talk about how scary the movie is and it looks like general audiences find it a bore-fest if these reactions are accurate.

Just hoping this is more like The Witch and not It Comes At Night.

It's on a different level in comparison to both of those, but it's definitely more like The Witch. The reason why critics are hyping the scares so much more than the audience is because a lot of the scares come from the guilt and trauma associated with what's in the film, rather than what's in the film itself. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, harrycaul said:

Sounds like this will have no legs at all.

I was literally just thinking to myself that it would have a 4x multiplier and leg its way over $50 million. I hope that the reactions are exclusive to themselves and that the film can still strike a chord with regular moviegoers.

I swear society right now has a collective case of ADD or something. They think a horror movie is bad or disappointing if it isn't filled with in your face jump scares. 

Is the first act slow paced? Yes, but come on people, you can make it through whilst paying attention. Come on, you can do it!

Actually nah. You can't. If you haven't jumped in the first 20 minutes you're probably pulling out your phone, right?

Edited by JB33
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The A24 formula strikes again.

<_<:unsure:

I think so, could be an other success story for them.

But depending what you mean, I think you will be surprised how straight pure to all the trope horror this is.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fanboy said:

It's on a different level in comparison to both of those, but it's definitely more like The Witch. The reason why critics are hyping the scares so much more than the audience is because a lot of the scares come from the guilt and trauma associated with what's in the film, rather than what's in the film itself. 

Sounds like The Babadook to me. Which means, i shoud really really like it.

18 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

The tone I'd say definitely remains the same. Portentous and heavy to the max. Next to no levity. (This tends to frustrate me, actually, and it does here too, though it's not a dealbreaker.) As for the suggestions, yeah I noticed a handful both visual and dropped into dialogue, but I'd still say the movie spends too much time being a family drama before it abruptly lets all hell break loose. 

Many great movies are "heavy to the max". All this means is that it didn't work for you. 

Also changing from family drama to horror is not changing focus. It's changing tone. The story focuses on the same characters and same plot points. It just shows them in a different way. 

Edited by norbar

1 minute ago, norbar said:

Many great movies are "heavy to the max". All this means is that it didn't work for you. 

It did but it could have worked better. I did say I found the dread-building in the second half very well-done. 

9 hours ago, harrycaul said:

Sounds like this will have no legs at all.

Jesus this is the box office forum. Read the reviews before guessing becaues it's no prediction. This is a more audience friendly film than almost all a24 releases. Yeah it's transgressive and some horror fans may say "not enough jump scares for my tiny brain" but I was excited while watching the really fucked up shit. The movie is very well done and it's much easier to enjoy than The Witch or Babadook.