La Binoche

A24's HEREDITARY

8 hours ago, norbar said:

That's the problem. You think you are basically the only one who has anything to say in genre division.  As said above using your terms some classic horror pictures would not be classified as horrors by you. 

I agree though I think the second half becomes a very effective horror. It doesn't relly on jump scares but it overwhelms you with dread and the atmosphere is suffocating plus there are a few scenes that will burn into your eyes for a long time. The first part I agree though there is one event 30 minutes in that informs you the movie will not play nice. I'm not sure about US results but with good distributors in Europe the movie can sell well. I was worried like you it wasn't commercial but I saw this with 2 very jokish bro type people who's arthouse sensibility ends at Quentin Tarantino and they loved the movie too so I have more faith.

I wasn't speaking for anyone but myself.  I don't like bait and switch and I know what kind of horror movie I like.  Seeing this is a forum where people express their opinions about movie, I exercised my right to express mine.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2018 at 7:54 PM, baumer said:

I wasn't speaking for anyone but myself.  I don't like bait and switch and I know what kind of horror movie I like.  Seeing this is a forum where people express their opinions about movie, I exercised my right to express mine.

You are free to express your opinion. Just don't paint it as the opinion of every genre/horror fan while bashing everyone who writes about the movies and ignoring the facts there are critics who specialize in horrors and write/review them exclusively plus posting untrue stuff about critic opinions being uncorrelated with viewer opinion. 

We have no problem with you not believing the hype, not being excited for the movie. 

On 3/21/2018 at 2:21 PM, La Binoche said:

The people I saw it with did not like it.  

And yes, "does not play nice" is the best way to put it. In a Conjuring universe movie, you more or less know what you're in for.  Here, you never know, and that's unnerving. 

Yeah I know 2 people who did not get it too but both of them are working for distributors in countries where the taste is very VERY pulpy and silly(a country where the naked gun movies are in top10 all time box office). Still it's worth remembering it's an 24 release and a cheap movie so a commercial success means much smaller numberes than Conjuring. I'm pretty sure 30-40mil would be huge for them (as in more than the Witch  and that movie was waaaay less commercial)

I really think the coparisons to Rosemary's Baby and to a lesser extent 6th sense are most reasonable here since both of those movies start as non horror thrillers.

Edited by norbar

9 hours ago, norbar said:

You are free to express your opinion. Just don't paint it as the opinion of every genre/horror fan while bashing everyone who writes about the movies and ignoring the facts there are critics who specialize in horrors and write/review them exclusively plus posting untrue stuff about critic opinions being uncorrelated with viewer opinion. 

We have no problem with you not believing the hype, not being excited for the movie. 

Critics don't understand horror and they very rarely have. It's been like this since the 70s. So I will continue to espouse that opinion until they do something to change it.

18 hours ago, baumer said:

Critics don't understand horror and they very rarely have. It's been like this since the 70s. So I will continue to espouse that opinion until they do something to change it.

That's not only plain untrue but also shows you didn't read my posts. First of off what about Dread Central and other movie sites only about horrors. Do 100% horror based sites don't understand horrors? 

Also the part about the 70's shows how little you know about the critics. A lot has changed since then. Critics are no longer old stuffy man in jackets smoking pipes. That's an SNL sketch not reality. Most of them are movie fans on movie sites. This is why RT features reviews from Horror sites or from sites where 90% of the coverage is blockbusters. The opinions of people on those sites probably correlates with yours 90% of the time. 

Lastly again if the critics didn't understand horrors then their opinions would not correlate with the best selling horrors, cinemascore and imdb score which are all measures of how much people like movies. You have been shown there is a correlation and you decided to ignore that fact only because you didn't like some horrors most critics liked (again you do realize not all critics liked them. So those critics that agree with you also don't understand it? How is that logical?)

Edited by norbar
  • Like 1

On 4/12/2018 at 1:11 AM, WrathOfHan said:

Do you think the Cinemascore will at least be in the B-range?

I think B is easily doable. The opinions about the movie seem to vary depending on a person. While yeah the movie is slow early on you don't give scores mid move but after the whole movie and the last 30-40 minutes leaves you destroyed. Plus the movie has some scary moments early on. From the people I talked to who have seen the movie 60-70% people were in love with the movie and 30-40% find it a bit slow like Samarus says but they are industry people and they find Get out and Split slow too. 

• Like 2

On 4/13/2018 at 11:42 AM, Samarus said:

I have to admit my enjoyment was a little diminished by one guy at my screening who tried to replicate one of the "scare sounds" of this movie multiple times. I don't know him, but I hate him.

Were you watching it at a market screening in Berlin? Since that may have been one obnoxious coworker of mine. I was at an earlier screening but I've heard he did that to scare another one of my coworkers.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2018 at 6:44 AM, Samarus said:

Depends on the marketing. People have to know that this movie is VERY slow paced.

The marketing so far does not seem to be headed that way.

On the other hand, it does clearly indicate it's...weird.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2018 at 5:42 AM, Samarus said:

I have to admit my enjoyment was a little diminished by one guy at my screening who tried to replicate one of the "scare sounds" of this movie multiple times. I don't know him, but I hate him.

This advice may sound petty, but it isn't wise to hate the man doing the action; however, it is wise to hate the action itself. Everyone is better than an action such as that; especially in a theater where people are trying to focus. I mean, nobody would do that to an opera singer, so why would they do it to a sound effect?

Edited by slambros

1 hour ago, slambros said:

This advice may sound petty, but it isn't wise to hate the man doing the action; however, it is wise to hate the action itself. Everyone is better than an action such as that; especially in a theater where people are trying to focus. I mean, nobody would do that to an opera singer, so why would they do it to a sound effect?

That makes no sense. Using this logic you shouldn't hate killers and mass murderers.

6 hours ago, norbar said:

Were you watching it at a market screening in Berlin? Since that may have been one obnoxious coworker of mine. I was at an earlier screening but I've heard he did that to scare another one of my coworkers.

No, press screening in Hamburg. But please hit your coworker :D

1 hour ago, slambros said:

Okay....?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slambros said:

nah the dude sounds like a cuntt

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Samarus said:

No, press screening in Hamburg. But please hit your coworker :D

You'd be surprised how many times I wanted to. He's one of the dudes that if he doesn't like a movie he leaves after 15 minutes and then still gives his opinion. For some reason his opinions hold value even though he isn't part of the programming team... 

I'm surprised there are press screenings in Germany already. Was it some festival or did the local distributor organize it? The movie comes in 2 months everywhere so that's super strange.

4 hours ago, norbar said:

You'd be surprised how many times I wanted to. He's one of the dudes that if he doesn't like a movie he leaves after 15 minutes and then still gives his opinion. For some reason his opinions hold value even though he isn't part of the programming team... 

I'm surprised there are press screenings in Germany already. Was it some festival or did the local distributor organize it? The movie comes in 2 months everywhere so that's super strange.

Local distributor I think.