Neo

Top Gun Maverick | May 27, 2022 | Catch it in theaters...again on December 2nd! | Comes to Paramount+ on December 22!

I'm so surprised at how much this is expected to do...like what? This might be one of the most surprising box office runs since American Sniper. At the very least, this is a far superior film than that creation of a Republican's wet dream.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

8 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I wonder if the tragedy of the last few days will affect this.  This top critic hated it and correlated with the kids shooting  https://tyburrswatchlist.substack.com/p/tom-cruise-and-19-dead-children?s=r

What a load of BS, a lot of countries have their own military-theme movie but neither trigger massive shooting incident. It is the politics and twisted value in USA that caused the mass killings. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I wonder if the tragedy of the last few days will affect this.  This top critic hated it and correlated with the kids shooting  https://tyburrswatchlist.substack.com/p/tom-cruise-and-19-dead-children?s=r

No it won´t, because most people know it doesn´t make any sense to link a military movie with tragedies like this. 

This whole piece is delusional and honestly, it´s kinda low to use many photos of children to have an emotional appeal for the words.

The tragedies we´re seeing is literally because of easy access to guns, anyone can get one because the government allow, that´s it.

Of course, the movie is military propaganda just like the previous one, but there´s a huge, gigantic difference between trained professionals from the armed forces that work with guns from a safe and allegedly responsable aproach and a civilian people who can get a gun to do whatever they want in a suburban space.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Curious if Deadline is lowballing it overseas. 

Domestic their prediction is ridiculous at this point. 

But they said 80M OS, and while it would be a nice result, if it's lowballed too and it ended up overperforming to 100M it would probably lock +300M OS and maybe have a shot surpassing Fallout as the biggest Cruise movie ever. 

I think not even the most optimistic person expect this as a reasonable expectation.

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

What a dumbass.

The movie barely had any hand guns at all! 

The reason why there are so many mass shootings in America is not because of any film - it's because of the amount of guns available, the gun culture, and the gun lobby. More and more guns are being bought which is why mass shootings happen every other day in the US. It won't stop until there is a massive surge in gun control. 

But dear God, the fact that person had the gaul to try and make that comparison is just mind-boggling.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Firepower said:

To be honest "Republican wet dream" wasn't anywhere near masterpiece or Eastwood's best work, so it can be better.

It's top 5 Eastwood for me and quite possibly the best Hollywood film about white male supremacy in the past 10 years or so.