Neo

Top Gun Maverick | May 27, 2022 | Catch it in theaters...again on December 2nd! | Comes to Paramount+ on December 22!

It was so funny how they didn't want to offend anyone so the enemy was just a nondescript "rogue state" with "5th generation fighter planes" and we never saw those people up close or they were fully in disguise so as to conceal their nationality.

• Haha 2

Saw it. This was a damn good time - way better than that original movie. A proper action film. Great use of CG that rarely ever stood out or distracted. The action rectifies the issues in the first film - I can tell who's who. I can see where they are. I can understand where they're going. In the one sequence that could've been nearly incomprehensible they edit the film to enhance the sense of panic and confusion, it's clever. It works. I was also scared that the film would tell us some cliched and awkward side story where Maverick and Rooster have some tension about Goose's death, like they've hinted at in the promos, but was happy to see their conflict comes from another less eye roll inducing issue. 

It's a big screen movie through and through. In my opinion very few films nowadays need to be seen in cinemas. This does. If you see it at home you're going to get an impressive action film but you just won't get the full scope of what being presented in the combat sequences. I'd also imagine it'll be easier to pick apart the film - you'll be distracted by the "Eragon" level Star Wars 'homages', or the new characters possibly coming off as one note, or THE ENEMY being some faceless nondescript, inoffensive nobodies (like GI Joe's COBRA)

featured-image-template-NL-cobra.jpg

Watching this film via streaming for the first time will rob you of a good time. The use of IMAX here is also necessary to the experience - this isn't a Marvel situation where they just add more blank space to the top and bottom of the screen. The shit is immersive. Hopefully they release the IMAX enhanced on Paramount+

FULL PRICE - 9/10 Thetan's - SEE IN IMAX - (also my family really like it - WOM should spread amongst the young people)

Also I'm gonna need Jon Hamm's face edited onto this image. 

Spoiler

BjoXSWzCcAAasNv.jpg

His character was a jackass.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 2

On 5/31/2022 at 5:17 PM, AJG said:

Saw it. This was a damn good time - way better than that original movie. A proper action film. Great use of CG that rarely ever stood out or distracted. The action rectifies the issues in the first film - I can tell who's who. I can see where they are. I can understand where they're going. In the one sequence that could've been nearly incomprehensible they edit the film to enhance the sense of panic and confusion, it's clever. It works. I was also scared that the film would tell us some cliched and awkward side story where Maverick and Rooster have some tension about Goose's death, like they've hinted at in the promos, but was happy to see their conflict comes from another less eye roll inducing issue. 

How can you tell what was or wasn't CGI?  Serious question.  Most of the plane work here is real, correct? 

1 hour ago, Macleod said:

How can you tell what was or wasn't CGI?  Serious question.  Most of the plane work here is real, correct? 

Not who you're replying to but I feel like I've got a decent eye for CGI. I love the amount of practical work in Top Gun and I think the film is so well directed that even the CGI moments don't pull you out and are only used for absolutely necessary things. They clearly put a lot of work in to do as much practically as they could, especially the cockpit work which is stellar and sells a lot of the action. 

I've only seen the film once last week (plan on catching it again before Jurassic World eats up the IMAX screens) but these are some of the bits I remember. 

Spoiler

Dark Star sequence has a number of CG shots/enhancements, it's not a real plane and it's a heightened sequence so makes sense. Some of it they shot a plate with a different plane then inserted the Dark Star model after. 

The extremely close double spiral definitely had some CG shots.

Anything missile or explosion related is all CGI for safety. 

The final act has some environmental CGI, kicking up snow and extending mountain peaks to make close calls look closer. Notably the bridge they fly under as well. 

The helicopter looked entirely CG. 

The enemy jets and F14 looked as though they'd shot plates with different planes and then inserted the models used in the final film. I don't think America has a functioning F-14 so any shot with that definitely has some trickery going on. But they did really stellar work with that especially. 

• Like 2

That Deadline article comparing the film to ‘The Best Years of Our Lives’ is absolute garbage tier click bait…

The lack of an identifiable villain didn’t bother me at all either, we can all fill in the blanks on who it’s meant to be without having it spelled out to us. The mission itself is clearly explained and that’s all you really need to understand the motivation of the characters.

19 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Scammers, hopefully they won't get a single cent and will lose money along the way over this nonsense.

They are scammers, but they have a case if they can prove the movie was not completed until May 2021, but i doubt they can prove that since the movie was ready for release in 2020

Under Section 203 of the Copyright Act, authors have the right to terminate transfers of copyright after a period of 35 years.

“Top Gun: Maverick” was originally due to be released in June 2020, but was delayed by two years due to the pandemic. The lawsuit contends that the film was not actually completed until May 2021, more than a year after the termination notice took effect.

37 minutes ago, Maggie said:

They are scammers, but they have a case if they can prove the movie was not completed until May 2021, but i doubt they can prove that since the movie was ready for release in 2020

Editor said they locked the picture in July 2020, they have no case, just a desperate attempt to shake Paramount for money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/28/2022 at 7:24 PM, DAJK said:

Bruh :lol: I feel like predicting 300/1B just because I need to counteract some of the negativity you’re bringing to this thread.

Just wanna point out... I was too low oops.

• Haha 1