MaxAggressor

Weekend Thread | Estimates (per DHD) ~ MR:TDC 23M, J 15.8M, H 9.8M, TGS 9.3M, TP 8.7M, 12S/DoT 7.9M, TSOW 5.7M, P2 5.5M, TLJ 4M, TBOEM 3.6M

4 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

I don't know if everyone is joking about Black Panther opening and not going to go back through everything, but the tracking and pre-sales are off the charts good.  It won't shock me if it does $170m+ for the 4 day.  

Y’all thought my $180M prediction was wack

There's like a 1/5 chance that Black Panther beats Infinity War.

Sure, Wonder Woman beat Justice League, but Justice League was following a stained legacy with BVS's and Suicide Squads, and then its own wom wasn't great. Not at all the case with IW.

People keep forgetting Wonder Woman had a huge female, older, and people who rarely go see movies audience.

Many people who went and saw WW likely had zero interest in watching JL.

There will be many BP viewers (I'm guessing black) that will have zero interest in IW.
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

People keep forgetting Wonder Woman had a huge female, older, and people who rarely go see movies audience.

Many people who went and saw WW likely had zero interest in watching JL.

There will be many BP viewers (I'm guessing black) that will have zero interest in IW.

Infinity War's opening weekend alone will push the movie towards at least a 400M+ finish, and I don't expect Black Panther to do anything over 400M (and even if it has a huge opening, which it will, it certainly won't have WW legs). That audience that has zero audience in IW... I don't think is enough to make a difference. IW is basically what we know around here as an #EventMovie :sparta:

Infinity War's opening weekend alone will push the movie towards at least a 400M+ finish, and I don't expect Black Panther to do anything over 400M (and even if it has a huge opening, which it will, it certainly won't have WW legs). That audience that has zero audience in IW... I don't think is enough to make a difference. IW is basically what we know around here as an #EventMovie

All I'm saying is that the boost BP is going to get isn't really going to help IW. IW is going to have to stand on its own and it will do great regardless.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mojoguy said:

Also BP getting his own movie for the first time is inherently more special than another Avengers sequel.

That I agree with. It isn't as big of an event in sheer cinematic scope, but as far as cultural significance and relevance is concerned, few superhero movies have mattered as much as Black Panther.

26 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

There is a big difference between a movie with the hero you are interested in like WW is her own movie as a lead and just another hero on a team movie like she was in JL.

That's what makes me wonder if fans of the WW movie are fans of the character or just fans of that movie.

I could not imagine not going to see JL if I were a fan of the WW character.   It seemed like there were effectively zero people who liked WW and then went to see JL.

Same with BP.  I would think anyone who liked him in CW would go see his solo movie based on that.   And then wouldn't you go see IW as well?   Why would a fan of the BP character skip IW?    I guess if you hated the BP movie maybe.

That's assuming there is a significant number of people who are only fans of BP and not Marvel in general.   Not sure how many of those exist.

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

Also BP getting his own movie for the first time is inherently more special than another Avengers sequel.

Not sure if you can compare WW to BP, most people knew who WW was before the movie came out.

Edited by AndyK

3 hours ago, CJohn said:

Universal will probably air the Fifty Shades and Pacific Rim spots during the pre-game.

The Super Bowl isn't a sufficient place to advertise Fifty Shades in my opinion. I get that Universal wants money, but in this case, it seems as if their pursuit of money has made them blind.

5 minutes ago, slambros said:

The Super Bowl isn't a sufficient place to advertise Fifty Shades in my opinion. I get that Universal wants money, but in this case, it seems as if their pursuit of money has made them blind.

Why’s that?  It certainly didn’t hurt the other ones to do Super Bowl advertisements.

35 minutes ago, New Year New Panda said:

Why’s that?  It certainly didn’t hurt the other ones to do Super Bowl advertisements.

I meant it as a half-joke based on demographics. There are many fans of football who aren't necessarily interested in an erotic romance film such as Fifty Shades. I get that there is a wide variety of people who watch the super bowl, but I think there is a reason why the vast majority of movies with advertisements during the Super Bowl are action-heavy.

1 minute ago, slambros said:

I meant it as a half-joke based on demographics. There are many fans of football who aren't necessarily interested in an erotic romance film such as Fifty Shades. I get that there is a wide variety of people who watch the super bowl, but I think there is a reason why the vast majority of movies with advertisements during the Super Bowl are action-heavy.

Loud and action heavy trailers do well because the Super Bowl is a loud event.  But there’s plenty of woman who watch the Super Bowl, probably the best place to release a fifty shades trailer 

Just now, New Year New Panda said:

Loud and action heavy trailers do well because the Super Bowl is a loud event.  But there’s plenty of woman who watch the Super Bowl, probably the best place to release a fifty shades trailer 

I mean, technically the trailers for Fifty Shades Freed are loud and action heavy :ph34r: 

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, slambros said:

The Superbowl goes a little beyond just football fans though. Had like 110M viewers last year.

• Like 2