MaxAggressor

Weekend Thread | Estimates (per DHD) ~ MR:TDC 23M, J 15.8M, H 9.8M, TGS 9.3M, TP 8.7M, 12S/DoT 7.9M, TSOW 5.7M, P2 5.5M, TLJ 4M, TBOEM 3.6M

TLJ's 0.967m is +86% from Thu.

77% of RO's Friday of 1.255m (+113% from Thu).

On Thu TLJ was looking at 622m dom if it behaved like RO. This weekend it's gonna fall ~40% vs RO's 27% though.

If it behaves like RO from now on it gets to 620m. I think it will settle around 618m.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

That movie was seen as something of a significant underperformer though.

Maybe it wasn't.  It was a Western and it starred Denzel and it grossed 93 million.  Maybe it did exactly what all Denzel movies do.  Maybe it was us who had unrealistic expectations for it.

13 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

But they have to basically be Best Picture material to get those numbers.

True Grit was BP material though and had a ton of nominations. Westerns are not that popular OS anymore with oscars or not, Revenant and Django are rare exceptions. Even if Hostiles got in the oscar race and did something like 80m DOM it would still struggle to make half of that OS. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I don't buy it

while I agree the views mean nothing, I still don't see Black Panther beating Infinity Wars and I have BP doing at least $150 on the OW, so it's not like I think BP will do poorly

but this is probably for another thread :P 

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

There's like a 1/5 chance that Black Panther beats Infinity War.

Sure, Wonder Woman beat Justice League, but Justice League was following a stained legacy with BVS's and Suicide Squads, and then its own wom wasn't great. Not at all the case with IW.

Theaters can't handle the combined power of Maze Runner and The Post around here my friend. They were unprepared.

• Astonished 1

14 minutes ago, baumer said:

Maybe it wasn't.  It was a Western and it starred Denzel and it grossed 93 million.  Maybe it did exactly what all Denzel movies do.  Maybe it was us who had unrealistic expectations for it.

It also opened with around 34m, which was pretty good for a regular western, and standard for a Denzel film. It argubably "underperformed" somewhat due to having a 90m budget because of star salary and the shooting location / set, but it didn't open bad. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

But they have to basically be Best Picture material to get those numbers.

True Grit was. I don't think that BP material is much of a draw OS. It's more a domestic thing and some European countries. But anyway, Leo obviously helped.

Just now, filmlover said:

Never would've thought Meryl would be a box office queen in Portugal and yet here we are!

She is a strong draw here. Her movies usually do well.