MaxAggressor

Weekend Thread | Estimates (per DHD) ~ MR:TDC 23M, J 15.8M, H 9.8M, TGS 9.3M, TP 8.7M, 12S/DoT 7.9M, TSOW 5.7M, P2 5.5M, TLJ 4M, TBOEM 3.6M

19 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

After Django Unchained and True Grit, studios should have taken the heads up 5 years ago that audiences want westerns. Mag 7 put up a respectable total back in 2016, and Hostiles should be crossing 40M from a noob studio. 

Edit: Forgot about The Revenant too

They do but they have to keep the budgets under control because unless it's a Best Pic nominee with a big name star or two it's not going to make much money overseas.  Rather like US sports movies.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

And also the megabomb:

Friend Request

Domestic Total Gross: $3,759,078

What category will Chappaquiddick fall into? :jeb!: 

Maybe it's a pattern of "hit, bomb, hit, bomb". So Chappaquiddick will be a hit. Hurricane Heist? Sadly not. Sorry @Morieris

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Westerns and musicals have been in the same boat for a while: studios are averse to making them because it's embarrassing when they fail. Yet when they hit, they really hit.

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

They're doing better than romantic comedies.  And for all the recent success of musicals Hollywood still isn't doing many of these.  All of these genres used to be their bread and butter.

Romantic comedies are essentially nonexistent now, or are straight to VOD movies. In large part I'm guessing because a lot of the big name popular actors these days are too busy chasing actually interesting projects to make such frivolous fare.

• Like 1

I can see I, Tonya behaving like this with a 1,400 expansion next week:

Remainder of this week: 1.2M (20M Total)

Feb 2: 3.4M (1.3M weekdays, 24.7M Total)

Feb 9: 2.7M (900k weekdays, 28.3M Total)

Feb 16: 1.5M (900k weekdays, 30.7M Total)

Feb 23: 1.1M (500k weekdays, 32.3M Total)

Mar 2: 800k (400k weekdays, 33.5M Total)

Final Total: 35M

It'll shed the additional theaters when Black Panther is out, but big multiplexes should keep it until March 9 after the Oscars. If it was a BP nominee, this could've hit 40M, but the total is still fantastic and puts Neon on the map.

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

People are mocking SMH? 

The last Spider-man movie almost made under 200 m. 

SMH is the biggest superhero movie of 2017 worldwide.

I guess it's time to move those goal posts to 400 m DOM.

Literally who the hell cares about SMH anymore? There are so many other runs to be discussing, and people just want to default back to CBMs.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Westerns are still taboo in Hollywood.

I think it's more to do with increased budgets and lack of interest OS except when Leo is one of the stars (Django, The Revenant). True Grit topped out at 81M OS. M7 made even paltrier 69M OS. 

OTOH, Leo westerns made 262M and 349M OS respectively. 

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Westerns and musicals have been in the same boat for a while: studios are averse to making them because it's embarrassing when they fail. Yet when they hit, they really hit.

Romantic comedies are essentially nonexistent now, or are straight to VOD movies. In large part I'm guessing because a lot of the big name popular actors these days are too busy chasing actually interesting projects to make such frivolous fare.

:WHATanabe:   Some of the greatest films ever are romantic comedies. 

The popular and best actors would probably be me more inclined to do them if the talent on the other end was there - directing and writing. 

• Like 1

Just now, TalismanRing said:

:WHATanabe:   Some of the greatest films ever are romantic comedies. 

The popular and best actors would probably be me more inclined to do them if the talent on the other end was there - directing and writing. 

Exactly, but those are a pretty rare breed. I'm talking the cookie cutter studio romcoms like Julia Roberts used to make in her prime (Runaway Bride, anyone?).

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Exactly, but those are a pretty rare breed. I'm talking the cookie cutter studio romcoms like Julia Roberts used to make in her prime (Runaway Bride, anyone?).

When Hollywood realized they only had Katherine Heigl left they decided it was best to just kill the genre.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I think it's more to do with increased budgets and lack of interest OS except when Leo is one of the stars (Django, The Revenant). True Grit topped out at 81M OS. M7 made even paltrier 69M OS. 

OTOH, Leo westerns made 262M and 349M OS respectively. 

But they have to basically be Best Picture material to get those numbers.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Literally who the hell cares about SMH anymore? There are so many other runs to be discussing, and people just want to default back to CBMs.

Maybe address the person who brought it up?

I'm simply defending a movie I like.

• Like 1