grim22

BOTs Top 25 Movies of 2017 | NOLANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

1 minute ago, New Year New Panda said:

Honestly, I’m pretty sure we knew before 2017 even started that Dunkirk would win this year.

If Interstellar could win 2014, I don’t think Nolan can lose on these lists.

Especially with Dunkirk being arguably the most acclaim film of his career. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

Hide contents

mother!

mother-movie-poster.jpg

From @WrathOfHan

"Wow, you really love Him. God help you."

No movie in 2017 can quite replicate the experience of watching mother! There has not been a studio film as divisive as this in YEARS. mother! works so well because of how confident Darren Aronofsky is in his work. He took a script he wrote in a few days, went over to Paramount, and somehow got it greenlit with no interference from the studio. Combine that with an A-lister like Jennifer Lawrence, and there is an interesting concoction afoot. Aronofsky invites you into his creation but does not tell you what to think. Some are enamored by this hellhole and allow him to take hold of their hearts out of their chests. Others see the movie as a shallow allegory that acts bold solely for the sake of being shocking. The believers see Jennifer Lawrence giving the best performance of her career as a helpless victim, yet the dissenters see her performance as one-note and repetitive. Almost nobody is stuck in the middle on this movie, and it isn't hard to see why. For me, mother! is one of the best films of the decade. Aronofsky's confidence and Lawrence's vulnerability are why I and many others love this film so much. mother! is simply horror at its finest.

User Reviews:

Aronofsky has crafted an absolute mindfuck of a film. There are so many ways to interpret mother!, yet none of them feel quite right. This is a movie that requires you to digest what you've watched and think about what it means. Everyone is on their A-game in the film, especially Lawrence. Filming the entire movie from her perspective (save for a couple of shots) immerses you into this home and immediately lets you sympathize with mother. Michelle Pfeiffer gives a hilariously bitchy performance too despite some limited screentime. mother! is a piece of art that I will be revisiting many times in the future. 10/10 | A+

@WrathOfHan

:lol: It was my #13 film. @WrathOfHan you probably feel vindicated now.

Edit: Wait, nvm. What a cruel joke :rofl:

Edited by Rorschach

Good list. I wish Coco had placed a little higher but my top 3 had a great showing (BR49, Coco, SoW). Actually, I think only God's Own Country was the only one in my top 10 that failed to make (and I never expected it to). Dunkirk winning, meh, but assumed. Nolan is BOT's Patriots.

1 hour ago, New Year New Panda said:

I think TI2 has a better chance to win the BOFFY than top 25 list, compare the winners

Top 25

2017 - Dunkirk

2016 - Arrival

2015 - Mad Max

2014 - Interstellar

2013 - Gravity

2012 - TDKR

BOFFYs

2017 - ??

2016 - La La Land

2015 - Inside Out

2014 - The Grand Budapest Hotel

2013 - Gravity

2012 - The Master

Arrival>La La Land

Mad Max>Inside Out

Interstellar>Grand Budapest Hotel

Gravity=Gravity

I haven't seen the master but TDKR is excellent.

top 25>BOFFYs

9 minutes ago, Tower said:

Arrival>La La Land

Mad Max>Inside Out

Interstellar>Grand Budapest Hotel

Gravity=Gravity

I haven't seen the master but TDKR is excellent.

top 25>BOFFYs

I wasn’t saying one’s better than the other.  I was saying they produce different kinds of winners.

The genre and style of boffy winners is more varied.  Top 25 seems to favor one style over all else.  If you’re a huge high-concept genre fan, that’s good for you.