That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

Monday was most impressive to me because it was truly unprecedented for Monday box office. DH2 is comparable to TFA's previews considering it only had midnights, JW was comparable to its true Friday, Sat, and Sun, and it didn't shatter any Tue, Wed, or Thu gross records. And if not for the insane Monday hold, the other weekday grosses wouldn't have been possible. It was at least somewhat realistic to predict the rest of those weekday grosses after Monday's gross than it ever was to expect what it did on Monday. That couldn't have been predicted. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

I know a lot people in film and Hollywood dislike how the MCU has made films more into TV. However, considering how popular TV has gotten, it seems the MCU gives what people want. 

An interconnected story.

Meaning making a standalone film in a franchise simply does not work these days as well as we saw with TLJ. 

BP is more standalone then usual in the MCU but the character was introduced in a 1.1 billion dollar film and the film plays a central role in Post Civil War plotline for the MCU.

54 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

Go big or go home right? Let’s get that fucking 50 million dollar Monday.

I have no orientation when it comes to boxoffice numbers but my theater continues to be the busiest ever. Mostly white audience cause that's the area, all ages, from kids to elderly. I would say that its drawing audience that usually doesn't go to the cinema but they are hearing that the movie exploded and want to be a part of conversation. I've overheard demands for DBOX auditorium and disappointment that it was sold out to the end of the day, so people want to pay even extra premium for better experience. 

My showing was sold out and there was a huge line-up after. I'm not noticing any slowing down. have seen the movie on Thu, Sat and today and it's been the same crazy. Even TFA wasn't. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

17 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I know a lot people in film and Hollywood dislike how the MCU has made films more into TV. However, considering how popular TV has gotten, it seems the MCU gives what people want. 

An interconnected story.

Meaning making a standalone film in a franchise simply does not work these days as well as we saw with TLJ. 

BP is more standalone then usual in the MCU but the character was introduced in a 1.1 billion dollar film and the film plays a central role in Post Civil War plotline for the MCU.

Marvel has successfully turned cinema into television, which is a good thing!

1) I don't remember this many sold out shows for TFA so that's a good sign. (though I do realize they shorted BP with not enough theaters).

2) It's kind of funny how everyone is "meh" about Black Panther already gaining the 2nd biggest Monday history already.

A bunch of box office nerds and we're not even talking about it cause everyone is focused on the record. 

Black Panther done spoiled us.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I have no orientation when it comes to boxoffice numbers but my theater continues to be the busiest ever. Mostly white audience cause that's the area, all ages, from kids to elderly. I would say that its drawing audience that usually doesn't go to the cinema but they are hearing that the movie exploded and want to be a part of conversation. I've overheard demands for DBOX auditorium and disappointment that it was sold out to the end of the day, so people want to pay even extra premium for better experience. 

My showing was sold out and there was a huge line-up after. I'm not noticing any slowing down. have seen the movie on Thu, Sat and today and it's been the same crazy. Even TFA wasn't. 

Fuck 50 m.

Monday > Sunday

14 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

There are basically no seats in a 50mile radius on the AMC app..and there haven't been all day despite small theaters with triple the number of showings they normally have for blockbusters...that's why I'm not framing my expectations by how I normally would for a "weeknight"

• Astonished 1

1 minute ago, ban1o said:

lmao! 

WB deserves every bit of this box office humiliation. They rushed out an entire cinematic universe trying to ride the coattails of their competitor and thinking they could do it just as well without putting in the years of meticulous planning, character, and world building that was the reason for said competitor's success in the first place. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

WB deserves every bit of this box office humiliation. They rushed out an entire cinematic universe trying to ride the coattails of their competitor and thinking they could do it just as well without putting in the years of meticulous planning, character, and world building that was the reason for said competitor's success in the first place. 

This!! 100%. Couldn't have said it better myself.

• Like 2