Porthos

Tuesday Numbers (Feb 20): BP- 20.9 PR - 1.9 FSF - 1.6

15 minutes ago, MJL said:

I think people are underestimating what BP is going to do this weekend and in total.  If we look at most MCU movies released outside of summer (June thru Aug), the increase for the 2nd Friday coming from Thursday is generally greater than 130%.  If we apply this to BP it looks as such:

Tues: 21M

Wed: 15.5M (-26%)

Thurs:  14.2M (-9%)

Friday: 32.66M (+130%)

Saturday: 48.99M (+50%)

Sunday: 34.3M (-30%)

2nd Weekend: 116M

And this is actually being generous with drops.  If I was more aggressive, we could be looking at a 120-130M weekend 

Except none of them released on Presidents Day weekend. Go look at Deadpool: +102% Friday, +50% Saturday, and -34% Sunday. And now we find out the East Coast has a bunch of kids out the entire week, not just Monday. Maybe that explains why Deadpool did not jump as much from Thursday to Friday as the other films you mentioned. Deadpool actually had much better legs than some of them too (Civil War, Ultron being prime examples).

I don't think we should expect it to jump as much as films that were released with the entire country in school.

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Taking a brief glance at my theater, BP is still selling well today, but I'm not sold on a drop below 25% (Deadpool was 25.5%). Probably gonna be around 27% or so IMO

But weren’t yesterday gross lower due to “cheap tuesdays” or whatever? So won’t today’s tickets be more expensive meaning more revenue? If not, I might need to amend my projection.

10 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

And now we find out the East Coast has a bunch of kids out the entire week, not just Monday.

Not trying to restart the fun schools debate, but wait what? How? Spring break is in less than 2 months.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alexiswills12 said:

But weren’t yesterday gross lower due to “cheap tuesdays” or whatever? So won’t today’s tickets be more expensive meaning more revenue? If not, I might need to amend my projection.

It's totally normal.

Just now, Alexiswills12 said:

No, cheap Tuesday inflates the gross. Go look at Thor Ragnarok or Beauty and the Beast. Both of them jumped a huge amount on Tuesday and dropped a huge amount on Wednesday. The tickets are cheaper, but that increases demand.

If you can save $5 per ticket (roughly 50% discount), that's a very good value especially for large families. If a movie's dollar gross increases 40% on cheap Tuesday, then it probably increased around 80% in demand for Tuesday.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

Not trying to restart the fun schools debate, but wait what? How? Spring break is in less than 2 months.

There are several posts in this thread from people in the Northeast. Apparently there is a "winter break" this week in the New York/New England areas. That's a pretty big population with kids out of school. We don't have that around here in Texas because our winter is a joke. :lol:

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, 75Live said:

It's midwinter recess for a bunch of places like Boston and NYC.  Just adding these links to show

Boston

https://www.boston.com/news/need-to-know/2018/02/18/what-bostonians-need-to-know-this-week-february-vacation

NYC 

http://schools.nyc.gov/Calendar/default.htm

39 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

Winter Recess. In NY, we’d get Winter Recess in mid February and Spring Break with the rest of the country in mid March. Also, the school year for most public schools extends to mid/late June. So some schools were in for a movie like Jurassic World. 

4 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

yeah we were all talking about on the previous page so there are at least those cities if not more that have off this week

• Like 1

Just now, Jandrew said:

Midwinter break? That is so dumb. :lol: No wonder yall get out so late. But hey, I'm not complaining, it bodes well for Panther as long as parents are off too. 

Don't necessarily need the parents off. If you have teenagers who can drive themselves to theater, then that's good enough. That's generally what happens with full summer boost in July. Parents are still working, but the teenagers can do whatever the eff they want. :lol:

7 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Don't necessarily need the parents off. If you have teenagers who can drive themselves to theater, then that's good enough. That's generally what happens with full summer boost in July. Parents are still working, but the teenagers can do whatever the eff they want. :lol:

True, I remember we had a half day for some reason and my friend and I met up with his gf and my prom date from the other school to see Project X :lol:.

Edited by Jandrew

Movie Distributor Gross Change Thtrs. Per Thtr. Total Gross Days
1 (1) Black Panther Walt Disney $20,857,361 -48% 4,020 $5,188   $263,013,041 5
- (3) Fifty Shades Freed Universal $1,605,005 -25% 3,768 $426   $80,235,580 12
- (6) The 15:17 to Paris Warner Bros. $882,343 -34% 3,042 $290   $27,553,166 12
- (5) The Greatest Showman 20th Century Fox $609,206 -59% 1,936 $315   $156,515,159 63
- (8) Maze Runner: The Death Cure 20th Century Fox $291,023 -55% 1,892 $154   $55,015,003 26
- (9) The Post 20th Century Fox $232,921 -48% 1,050 $222   $77,280,285 61
- (12) Three Billboards Outside Eb… Fox Searchlight $210,768 -45% 780 $270   $48,575,293 103
- (11) The Shape of Water Fox Searchlight $207,809 -47% 957 $217   $53,841,575 82
- (-) Den of Thieves STX Entertainment $124,131 -32% 730 $170   $43,742,851 33
- (14) Darkest Hour Focus Features $121,665 -46% 602 $202   $53,516,517 91

(I'll post the full chart when it gets totally updated)

35 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

There are several posts in this thread from people in the Northeast. Apparently there is a "winter break" this week in the New York/New England areas. That's a pretty big population with kids out of school. We don't have that around here in Texas because our winter is a joke. :lol:

I live in the New England area and I can confirm. Schools have week long breaks in February and April. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1