grim22

Jurassic World: Dominion | June 10 2022 | 6th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

5 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

STOP COMPARING IT WITH JURASSIC PARK.

How is this really small thing isn't understandable for people, Jurassic World Dominion is different movie than Jurassic Park..... They are not supposed to be compared.

Why must people compare, why can't movie stand on its own.

I mean...it's a sequel to Jurassic Park though (and filled with nostalgia bait from the original specifically), it's pretty obvious they want you to remember the first film. 

• Like 8

Bad arguments, it's about judging a movie on its merit, it doesn't matter what characters are there or not.

Is it as good as original - No

Is that a bad thing though - No

Is it good movie or bad movie irrespective of what came before or will come later - correct manner of judging something

Edited by THUNDER BIRD
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

Of course Jurassic Park movies are going to be compared to each other. I understand that it is difficult to see a film that you are looking forward to get poor reviews but take a deep breath. You are still allowed to enjoy the film.

5 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

The seems to be getting the kind of reviews the first Jurassic World film should have.

A very wrong opinion. Jurassic World is one of the best blockbusters of the 2010s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

A very wrong opinion. Jurassic World is one of the best blockbusters of the 2010s.

The 5 mintues when it was actually the movie they promised was fun, I'll give it that. :P

Edited by Hatebox
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

This. It's highly rewatchable and enjoyable. Has always been. Great monster mash, one of more memorable recent blockbuster romances, annoying enough kids so that you root for dinos which you should, Prime Pratt, memes

z4ceL9N.gif

tumblr_nraxdj5wkg1u5tn07o6_400.gif

Love this movie. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

This. It's highly rewatchable and enjoyable. Has always been. Great monster mash, one of more memorable recent blockbuster romances, annoying enough kids so that you root for dinos which you should, Prime Pratt, memes

z4ceL9N.gif

Love this movie. 

People seem to forget that Jurassic World beat the OW record and had a 650M DOM and 1,67B WW gross for a reason. Nostalgia, Marketing and Hype can only get you so far, it was the pure entertainment value of JW that allowed it to be record-breaking.

Its one of the most unapologetically summer blockbuster of recent memory. It just wants to entertain and imo, you have to be a bit of a cynic to not at least have some fun with it.

Edited by Brainbug the Dinosaur
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

z4ceL9N.gif

Love this movie. 

“One of the more memorable recent blockbuster romances”….I’m assuming you mean between Chris Pratt and Blue?

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

People seem to forget that Jurassic World beat the OW record and had a 650M DOM and 1,67B WW gross for a reason. Nostalgia, Marketing and Hype can only get you so far, it was the pure entertainment value of JW that allowed it to be record-breaking.

Its one of the most unapologetically summer blockbuster of recent summary. It just wants to entertain and imo, you have to be a bit of a cynic to not at least have some fun with it.

And great legs. had it not been for TFA, an arguably worse movie and unwatchable now, it would have won the year. It also completely obliterated AoU even though expectations were for AoU domination. Social media chatter missed the boat with JW. It was really the strength of silent majority that took it to the top. 

6 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

“One of the more memorable recent blockbuster romances”….I’m assuming you mean between Chris Pratt and Blue?

Did I ever say otherwise? 💙

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My favourite thing about Jurassic World is still Jake Johnson's original logo wearing meta-character, because he could go between parallel dimensions and see the 1993 film we saw instead of remembering how it was in his world: a terribly managed disaster that resulted in the deaths of multiple members of staff. 😵

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

z4ceL9N.gif

Love this movie. 

The memorable romance you're referring to is Blue and Owen, no?

Kidding aside, I haven't watched any Jurassic flicks aside from Park, Lost World and III more than once. Not a huge fan of the new ones. My favorite dino action in blockbuster this century would be Jackson's Kong and, while not exactly dinos, the recent Skull Island movie.

That said, I'll be there tonight to see Dominion.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

Jurassic World did two things very well - the realisation of the Jurassic Park itself and what that looked and felt like. And it judged the relationship to the first film extremely well. Plus the third dynamic of picking Chris Pratt before he was overexposed and while he was a genuinely inherently likeable and charismatic presence.

Those were only two things. But they were pretty massive things that gave the film a lot of its popularity.

I also think the velociraptor pen was well done.....

....except the sort-of-credible high security velociraptor pen only served to highlight how ridiculous, dumb and contrived every single stage of the escape sequence was. And the subsequent reduction of any pretence of animals to monsters (exemplified by the IR killing everything for 'sport')

The entire rest of the film is pretty awful. The failure to acknowledge or realise BDH was the villain (and giving what should have been her death scene to a side character in what therefore became one of the most obnoxious sequences in a family movie) was bizarre, the characterisation was non existent, the kids annoying and the eternal ridiculous notion that "dinosaurs in the military" is a viable plot point.

I maintain the argument that Jurassic World and The Force Awakens being the ultra mega hits they were have been responsible for a lot of the more negative trends we've seen since then and, in the long run, will be seen in later generations the way we look at Jaws 2 (also a massive hit) today.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1