grim22

Jurassic World: Dominion | June 10 2022 | 6th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

17 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It's pretty clear that the actual twist in the first movie was that the I-Rex was combining T-Rex, Raptor AND Human DNA. It's set up throughout its escape and initial scenes but was written out for some reason.

??

At no point is it set up that the Indominus could have human DNA. All its abilities are clearly linked to either other dinosaurs or animals as is explained in the film.

44 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It's pretty clear that the actual twist in the first movie was that the I-Rex was combining T-Rex, Raptor AND Human DNA. It's set up throughout its escape and initial scenes but was written out for some reason.

The thing is EVEN IF you give the I-Rex credit for having FULLY HUMAN-LEVEL INTELLIGENCE, its still doesn't explain:

- How it knows what electronics are

- That it understands what a tracker is

- How it knew not only what a heat tracker is but that they didn't have the heat tracker with them at that moment

- How the mechanics of its pen work

- It knows the psychology of human beings

- How it predicts that the humans would be stupid enough to think it had gone

- That it though the humans would be stupid enough to leave the compound open

- Why it thought there was anything interesting outside of its compound where it gets fed every day

- Why it had never turned invisible in its entire existence until that one moment it decided to execute *the escape plan*, so that the humans wouldn't know it could turn invisible.

- How it could create scratching marks convincing enough to make everyone think it had escaped while being so subtle the one (one!) bloke who was watching its pen didn't notice. 

- How none of the scientists who had operated on this animal for its entire life had any idea what it could and couldn't do.

- Why the supposed big massive future attraction and biggest experiment had approximately 20x less attention and security on it than the velociraptors. 

The I-Rex wasn't some 'plot hole' or anything. It was just magic.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose

14 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

The thing is EVEN IF you give the I-Rex credit for having FULLY HUMAN-LEVEL INTELLIGENCE, its still doesn't explain:

- How it knows what electronics are

- That it understands what a tracker is

- How it knew not only what a heat tracker is but that they didn't have the heat tracker with them at that moment

- How the mechanics of its pen work

- It knows the psychology of human beings

- How it predicts that the humans would be stupid enough to think it had gone

- That it though the humans would be stupid enough to leave the compound open

- Why it thought there was anything interesting outside of its compound where it gets fed every day

- Why it had never turned invisible in its entire existence until that one moment it decided to execute *the escape plan*, so that the humans wouldn't know it could turn invisible.

- How it could create scratching marks convincing enough to make everyone think it had escaped while being so subtle the one (one!) bloke who was watching its pen didn't notice. 

- How none of the scientists who had operated on this animal for its entire life had any idea what it could and couldn't do.

- Why the supposed big massive future attraction and biggest experiment had approximately 20x less attention and security on it than the velociraptors. 

The I-Rex wasn't some 'plot hole' or anything. It was just magic.

The I-Rex was a plot device to have a fun summer popcorn movie that you can enjoy to the fullest if you dont try to nitpick everything.

Its as simple as that. Most people chose to have fun with it because otherwise, it woundt have been the 3rd highest-grossing movie of all time.

I dont know why it is so difficult for some to accept that JW was just a really well-liked movie.

Edited by Brainbug the Dinosaur
  • Like 3

How can these two marked as rotten by RT? They sound solid. 

Jun 9, 2022
Admittedly, the story here is pretty thin, but let’s face it, fans don’t go to see these films for the scintillating dialogue. They go because the visual effects --- the dinosaurs --- are AMAZING.

Jun 9, 2022

… while it’s not particularly good, it manages to be pretty entertaining for the most part.
Full Review | Original Score: 12/20

1 minute ago, Borobudur said:

How can these two marked as rotten by RT? They sound solid. 

Jun 9, 2022
Admittedly, the story here is pretty thin, but let’s face it, fans don’t go to see these films for the scintillating dialogue. They go because the visual effects --- the dinosaurs --- are AMAZING.

Jun 9, 2022

… while it’s not particularly good, it manages to be pretty entertaining for the most part.
Full Review | Original Score: 12/20

If Universal, which owns Rotten Tomatoes, aren't concerned then there's no reason for us to be.

My streak of not disliking Jurassic movie continues by a thread, thanks to the 2nd half 

But man, what a disappointment. 

I can't believe someone who directed Indominus vs T Rex vs Raptor in Jurassic World can also make that climax..... I mean it's a dinosaur fight, but that epicness, that fight choreography is missing. It's just a dinosaur fight, whereas Jurassic World final fight was EPIC. 

Also the fact that we can't even see what's happening on screen due to darkness.

I mean i don't care about anything else, but Colin Trevorrow should've Atleast pulled that climax at minimum.

Edited by THUNDER BIRD

2 hours ago, Juby said:

200.gif

I remember watching JW on premiere weekend in my hometown cinema. Me and my 2 brothers laughed so hard at the end when Velo-Boromir run to save Mary and Pippi... to save T-Rex from Indominus, that I couldn't watch it any longer :D This was one of the dumbest film I've ever seen in my life, the whole idea to cook in lab new, bigger dinousaur because the public quickly become bored with the classic dinosaurs (in, you know, our world, where, you know, we go to ZOO and will never get bored with Lions, snakes and Tigers :lol:) was lol x10, train raptors where LOL x100, and the military guy trying to convince Owen to give him raptors to the army as a weapon was... I can't even... The whole script was on Sharknado type-of-film level. Lack of suspense and not as great as in the first two CGI also didn't help the film. It was bad.

Jurassic World is still the most incomprehensible box-office success in the history of cinema for me. Maverick is the same level of mega-surprise this summer, but thanks god, this time it's a great film.

Yet everything they did was deliberate. This trilogy has been much more satirical and wink-wink-nudge-nudge than the original. It knows what it’s doing and most audiences have responded really well to the silliness. 

I totally agree that I wish it didn’t have it, but I don’t understand the criticism of it when it’s by design.  If people are laughing and clapping along at some of the stuff that some of us aren’t, then who is in the right? Movies are subjective experiences, and clearly the vast majority loved what they got. 

I mean, the indoraptor literally played dead and smiled at the audience in FK. 

So I don’t really have any skin in the game criticising the World films. I can say I’d have preferred them to take things more seriously, but I can’t really criticise them for not being what they’ve not even attempted.  I do think FK struggles with balancing tone, much more so than JW. It’s of the same spirit though, so that’s very much what I’m expecting when I see Dominion tomorrow. 

11 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Yet everything they did was deliberate. This trilogy has been much more satirical and wink-wink-nudge-nudge than the original. It knows what it’s doing and most audiences have responded really well to the silliness. 

I totally agree that I wish it didn’t have it, but I don’t understand the criticism of it when it’s by design.  If people are laughing and clapping along at some of the stuff that some of us aren’t, then who is in the right? Movies are subjective experiences, and clearly the vast majority loved what they got. 

I mean, the indoraptor literally played dead and smiled at the audience in FK. 

So I don’t really have any skin in the game criticising the World films. I can say I’d have preferred them to take things more seriously, but I can’t really criticise them for not being what they’ve not even attempted.  I do think FK struggles with balancing tone, much more so than JW. It’s of the same spirit though, so that’s very much what I’m expecting when I see Dominion tomorrow. 

That was amazing and the best scene of the first two World movies by far.

Honestly my complaint towards these movies is that we haven't gotten enough moments like that (the aforementioned drawn out death of BDH's assistant would be another if that character, while bad at her job, had actually done something to deserve such an over-the-top demise). That kind of tonal imbalance is always going to cause problems, especially when we're talking about a series in which the entire plot hinges upon people behaving like total idiots.

38 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

My streak of not disliking Jurassic movie continues by a thread, thanks to the 2nd half 

But man, what a disappointment. 

I can't believe someone who directed Indominus vs T Rex vs Raptor in Jurassic World can also make that climax..... I mean it's a dinosaur fight, but that epicness, that fight choreography is missing. It's just a dinosaur fight, whereas Jurassic World final fight was EPIC. 

Also the fact that we can't even see what's happening on screen due to darkness.

I mean i don't care about anything else, but Colin Trevorrow should've Atleast pulled that climax at minimum.

Anyways won't finalize my opinion until i watch it again, this time with calm open mind and knowing what to come.

I'm already thinking if I'm too harsh, but there are stuff that i didn't expect and just took me out of it, let's see if those things are more tolerable on repeat watching.

If that's the case then my rating will be better. 

Edited by THUNDER BIRD

5 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Anyways won't finalize my opinion until i watch it again, this time with calm open mind and knowing what to come.

I've no doubt it's a movie you have to see multiple times to appreciate all the nuances and intricacies.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I've no doubt it's a movie you have to see multiple times to appreciate all the nuances and intricacies.

Lol no, but as i said, initial reaction was more harsher, now I'm at home thinking about it and think maybe it was indeed harsh.

Plus the theater i watched in was not that good and i watched in hindi, sound wasn't that clear.

Tomorrow I'll watch it in good Theater, English version in proper way, let's see.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Lol no, but as i said, initial reaction was more harsher, now I'm at home thinking about it and think maybe it was indeed harsh.

Plus the theater i watched in was not that good and i watched in hindi, sound wasn't that clear.

Tomorrow I'll watch it in good Theater, English version in proper way, let's see.

Good to see a fellow Indian JP fan 🙂

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

I do think as a fan of this series, that the right expectations for this movie is a dealbreaker. After having seen it now, for my next viewing ill know exactly what to expect and will probably enjoy it even more. Maybe its similar for you?

4 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I do think as a fan of this series, that the right expectations for this movie is a dealbreaker. After having seen it now, for my next viewing ill know exactly what to expect and will probably enjoy it even more. Maybe its similar for you?

Us fans are always the biggest critics. I’ve lost count of the amount of franchise films I’ve liked much more the second time. We get so hyped up for these films that are part of something we love that we have certain expectations. 

Look at me last night. First time in 21 years I admitted to myself I actually quite like Jurassic Park III. I was raging when I came out of it on opening day in 2001. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Yeah, obviously, i mean I'm disappointed but i don't dislike it as i mentioned earlier.

There were some things that caught me off guard which then affected whole mood throughout the movie. 

Watching it again means no more getting caught unaware, and watch with open mind.

And is there a Jurassic World Dominion Spoiler thread where we can discuss more about this.

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Us fans are always the biggest critics. I’ve lost count of the amount of franchise films I’ve liked much more the second time. We get so hyped up for these films that are part of something we love that we have certain expectations. 

Look at me last night. First time in 21 years I admitted to myself I actually quite like Jurassic Park III. I was raging when I came out of it on opening day in 2001. 

For me, maybe its an age thing but ive just become less critical of movies from franchises that im personally attached to. In the end, whats the point of hating on something that you love, especially if its a movie franchise? Could be that im just a lot more willing to ignore flaws and embrace the good things about Dominion for example.

2 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Yeah, obviously, i mean I'm disappointed but i don't dislike it as i mentioned earlier.

There were some things that caught me off guard which then affected whole mood throughout the movie. 

Watching it again means no more getting caught unaware, and watch with open mind.

And is there a Jurassic World Dominion Spoiler thread where we can discuss more about this.

Spoiler thread isnt there (yet, maybe one comes out), but the Review thread is up where you can review the film with spoilers.

9 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

For me, maybe its an age thing but ive just become less critical of movies from franchises that im personally attached to. In the end, whats the point of hating on something that you love, especially if its a movie franchise? Could be that im just a lot more willing to ignore flaws and embrace the good things about Dominion for example.

Spoiler thread isnt there (yet, maybe one comes out), but the Review thread is up where you can review the film with spoilers.

I'll review it once i watch it again. 

1 hour ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

That's called the movie experience.  You should have an "open mind" every time you see something.  Your first reaction was the best, that means you actually realized the movie's faults, you should be honest with yourself.  😉

Edited by Macleod