grim22

Jurassic World: Dominion | June 10 2022 | 6th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

On 3/27/2022 at 3:35 PM, Brainbug said:

Atleast on the BOT forums here, there are no such people. There were some around when JW and JW:FK came out, but atleast I have not seen any posts containing the argument that the GA somehow hates the franchise on these forums here for years.

There are some who are just more cautious about the box office and predict lower numbers. Thats certainly not a burning hatred.

Sure can't wait to see the reaction on this board to underwhelming initial pre-sales only to go PIKACHU SHOCKED FACE when it explodes in the last week of pre-sales.

Spoiler

Veterans of JW:FK's pre-sale run will know what I'm talking about.

*loooooooong pause*

*cough* :ph34r:

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

Just now, Porthos said:

Sure can't wait to see the reaction on this board to underwhelming initial pre-sales only to go PIKACHU SHOCKED FACE when it explodes in the last week of pre-sales.

Reveal hidden contents

I was there for every second of it. I remember, Porthos, i remember.

They were all proven WRONG and it was GREAT.

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

I was there for every second of it. I remember, Porthos, i remember.

They were all proven WRONG and it was GREAT.

happened-before-will-happen-again.gif

(I mean, I've learned my lesson — but you KNOW at least some people are gonna look at initial pre-sales and Start Asking Questions)

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

happened-before-will-happen-again.gif

(I mean, I've learned my lesson — but you KNOW at least some people are gonna look at initial pre-sales and Start Asking Questions)

The great walk-up discussion will see a lengthy comeback, that i also think.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

The great walk-up discussion will see a lengthy comeback, that i also think.

We might be spared it a bit having a semi-recent example in F9's sale pattern to be able to point to*.  Aside from that, it'd be a never-ending stream of "yes, but this time it'll be different because [more people buy pre-sales now]/[people hated the last flick]/[trailer metrics]/[whatever talking point du jour]".

* Also is Godzilla vs Kong, but that really can't be used due to it being All Day + still early in the re-opening of theater chains.

I mean, maybe they'll be right!  But I vow here and now not to bury JWD until Tue or Wed of release week.  And possibly not even then.  As I said, I learned my lesson.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

We might be spared it a bit having a semi-recent example in F9's sale pattern to be able to point to*.  Aside from that, it'd be a never-ending stream of "yes, but this time it'll be different because [more people buy pre-sales now]/[people hated the last flick]/[trailer metrics]/[whatever talking point du jour]".

* Also is Godzilla vs Kong, but that really can't be used due to it being All Day + still early in the re-opening of theater chains.

I mean, maybe they'll be right!  But I vow here and now not to bury JWD until Tue or Wed of release week.  And possibly not even then.  As I said, I learned my lesson.

F9's walkups weren't that amazing, Venom 2 is the one to look at. 

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Favourite poster material, right there.

Im already looking very much forward to follow this movies tracking. I honestly think the hype for Dominion is bigger even now than it ever was for Fallen Kingdom.

11 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

F9's walkups weren't that amazing, Venom 2 is the one to look at. 

I'm not looking for "amazing" walkups though.  Just something in the ballpark of action-adventure/monster movie flicks which have a very different sales pattern than CBMs, even backloaded ones like Let There Be Carnage.

While it petered out at the very very end, there was a strong correlation between Fallen Kingdom and King of the Monsters.  So much so that even with petering out a bit, I think it still forecasted about 1m of its eventual preview number (dropping from around a projected 7.5 or so to the eventual 6.3, if memory serves).

Not saying that LTBC won't be useful, as it will be.  Just that I think being reminded that monster movie/action adventure flicks just play differently than most CBMs is a good thing to keep in mind.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I'm not looking for "amazing" walkups though.  Just something in the ballpark of action-adventure/monster movie flicks which have a very different sales pattern than CBMs, even backloaded ones like Let There Be Carnage.

While it petered out at the very very end, there was a strong correlation between Fallen Kingdom and King of the Monsters.  So much so that even with petering out a bit, I think it still forecasted about 1m of its eventual preview number (dropping from around a projected 7.5 or so to the eventual 6.3, if memory serves).

Not saying that LTBC won't be useful, as it will be.  Just that I think being reminded that monster movie/action adventure flicks just play differently than most CBMs is a good thing to keep in mind.

I think F9's presale pattern was actually closer to a typical CBM than Let There Be Carnage, though. We'll see in a couple of months, but I'm expecting JW Dominion to have a really explosive final week like LTBC rather than the fairly normal jumps that F9 saw. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, european1992 said:

2 billion here we come.

JW 1 is probably a bit over 2.1 billion

By this point I feel like people know what to expect of this movies, and that enough people have decided that they're not interested in what that is, so I can't see, how even with all the hype, it comes so close to JW admits

And all that with covid still an issue, a so-so precursor, and good competition

Sure china might increase, but predicting anything over 400 million best case scenario is irresponsible, meaning that even if inflation it still needs to sell 350 million worth of tickets over Fallen Kingdom

9 hours ago, Bigscrubnus said:

God I hope so

I seriously doubt it but I hope so

Lets look at this pragmatically:

For 2 Billion to happen, 3 things are needed.

1) DOM must be in the realm of 700-800M. While imo not 100% impossible, that is extremely unlikely. Im the biggest JP fanboy, but reaching the first's JW numbers already would be a wet dream worth cumming.

2) China would have to double its grosses from the last two JW films, so something like 400M there. Again, while not 100% impossible, that is VERY much to ask for and i dont think it will happen.

3) All other OS countries need to overperform. Even if DOM and China will deliver something like 1,1B already together, that would mean another 900M OS is needed. This is i think even more unlikely than the other 2 points. It would mean drastic increases in attendance compared to the first two movies and while i absolutely see an increase from Fallen Kingdom, i dont see it to this level.

So 2 Billion is NOT impossible, but highly improbable. I think it will settle in the 1,5 - 1,6B range, similar to the first JW.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Lets look at this pragmatically:

For 2 Billion to happen, 3 things are needed.

1) DOM must be in the realm of 700-800M. While imo not 100% impossible, that is extremely unlikely. Im the biggest JP fanboy, but reaching the first's JW numbers already would be a wet dream worth cumming.

2) China would have to double its grosses from the last two JW films, so something like 400M there. Again, while not 100% impossible, that is VERY much to ask for and i dont think it will happen.

3) All other OS countries need to overperform. Even if DOM and China will deliver something like 1,1B already together, that would mean another 900M OS is needed. This is i think even more unlikely than the other 2 points. It would mean drastic increases in attendance compared to the first two movies and while i absolutely see an increase from Fallen Kingdom, i dont see it to this level.

So 2 Billion is NOT impossible, but highly improbable. I think it will settle in the 1,5 - 1,6B range, similar to the first JW.

I honestly think Fallen Kingdom will hurt this more than people think, just personally speaking, I used to be in the bag for these films and consider the original Jurassic Park to be one of my favourite films, but FK was so insultingly bad that I have no interest in this whatsoever, not even the cynical “let’s get the band back together for nostalgia!” inclusion of the original trio is enough to raise my interest in this.

If FK had never happened and Dominion was following JW, then I could definitely have seen it topping JW and making a run for $2 billion. As it stands, I see it doing better than FK, but below JW worldwide.

For the record, I don’t like JWFK.

I find it odd that people are convinced audiences hated JWFK, when it has the same cinemascore as movies that people claim audiences loved. The most recent example is the Batman. Both films have an A-

Also JWFK had decent legs, not a sign that audiences hated it.