grim22

Jurassic World: Dominion | June 10 2022 | 6th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

4 minutes ago, Eric the Last Dinosaur said:

I mean that's another big thing yeah. Which again shows that Lost World's problems weren't because there was no park. I'm still confused why this is the lynchpin for success all of a sudden, especially when almost all the other Jurassic movies still made gangbusters.

jurassic park 3 did gangbusters :redcapes:

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

jurassic park 3 did gangbusters :redcapes:

I mean he did say "almost" all.

But btw, fun fact: Jurassic Park 3 didnt break the OW record back in 2001 only because it opened on a Wednesday. If it had opened on a Friday, it very likely would have been 3/3 for the franchise.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I totally agree. Nowadays every movie is either "amazing, great" or "crap, shit" and the nuance and grey zones are completely ignored. Its really sad in my opinion. So many discussions about films and other media especially ofc on the Internet have gotten so toxic because of it. Its almost as if people cant fathom the idea of other people for example liking a "bad movie" or disliking a "good movie".

Yeah, it’s tragic.

Obviously we’re all going to have banter this weekend in terms of a box office fight between the runaway behemoth TG2 and the pre-summer crown favourite, JWD. 

Yet for social media, the RT score will become like a running sporting match for a couple of hours tomorrow. Movie unseen for the vast majority talking about it. Retweets of reviews, trying to get likes and replies. Everybody wants a piece.  It’s embarrassing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Whole point of this movie was supposed to be dinosaurs in human cities living among us, what was the point otherwise? Dumb!

This right here boggles the mind. Dinosaurs messing up historic landmarks like it's a Godzilla movie sounds badass. Dinos trying to work with humans a la Flintstones is also weirdly badass. It's such an easy concept that could easily print money. I think Jurassic World is one of the worst movies ever (sorry guys, there's nothing that will convince me that it's "dumb, but fun"), and even I thought this was a cool slam dunk idea that not even Colin Trevorrow could mess up. But he somehow managed to fumble even that. How is this even possible?!

Once I’ve seen it and I read the reviews afterwards, if I read critics comparing it to the original then I’m stopping that read. 

These World movies are not like Jurassic Park. Have never pretended they are. They’re tonally very knowing and 100% popcorn fare. 

The inclusion of the OG characters inevitably forces comparison, but I’m not expecting them to particularly seem like they’ve jumped from that movie to this merry-go-round.  No OG character is saying a one-liner when about to get attacked in JP. In JWD - of course they will.  Wildly different types of films. 

Comparing this one with the original will be like comparing The Batman with Batman Forever. Utterly pointless. 

“It misses taking itself semi seriously as the original did”. Wow, what profound criticism. 

This ain’t my Jurassic Park and I’m fine with that. Expecting it to be is just delusional at this point. 

I watched the original film last night and it really holds up. 

I love how many chase scenes there are. The second half is sensational. Very nostalgic too, because the car from Jurassic Park was one of my favourite toys as a kid. 

I used to make the Catwoman figure from Batman Returns “drive” it. 

Ah the early 90’s. 

21 minutes ago, Eric the Last Dinosaur said:

This right here boggles the mind. Dinosaurs messing up historic landmarks like it's a Godzilla movie sounds badass. Dinos trying to work with humans a la Flintstones is also weirdly badass. It's such an easy concept that could easily print money. I think Jurassic World is one of the worst movies ever (sorry guys, there's nothing that will convince me that it's "dumb, but fun"), and even I thought this was a cool slam dunk idea that not even Colin Trevorrow could mess up. But he somehow managed to fumble even that. How is this even possible?!

you dont know he has fumbled it, just because it's getting mixed reviews from critics. critics=/=audience. it's far too early to say this has turned out badly.

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

I love how many chase scenes there are. The second half is sensational. Very nostalgic too, because the car from Jurassic Park was one of my favourite toys as a kid. 

Ah the early 90’s. 

yeah the original film is absolutely wonderful, i watched it in the cinema last year and it's near enough perfect. comparing everything to the original is a futile exercise.

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 1

Am with @Eric the Last Dinosauron this. Never heard anyone say that they went to see a Jurassic movie for the park. People want to see the dinos in cool and memorable scenes with somewhat tolerable characters. The ending of FK promised a cool movie about dinos rampaging in the world, and I'm pretty disappointed that it seems like this wasn't followed through.

• Like 5

It is going to make a lot of money, but the early mixed reaction ( early audiences have a large number of franchise fans who are very forgiving) might put a billion out of reach. You are going to see fewer films make that number because of changes audeince habits.

SHould be clear things are not going back to the way they were before covid.. I think the move to streaming would have happened anyway, but would have taken  four or five years. All Covid did was speed up the process.

I will be seeing this mianly because I want to see the original JP cast together again.

31 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Ah the early 90’s. 

amazing. 
I’ve got the park map that the characters have in the movie. I was in Florida in the Feb of 1993 and they were giving them out in Universal Studios. 

Remember the night I saw Jurassic Park so vividly.  Total mania all summer long. I had pretty much anything I could get my hands on with the logo on it. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I did! 🙋🏻‍♂️

That’s why Jurassic World broke out: the park was finally functioning. 

THIS. People always wanted to see a fully functioning Jurrasiac Park; Jurrasiac World gave it to them.

Supprising thing is it took them that long to do it. It would have been the obvious direct sequel to JP.