grim22

Jurassic World: Dominion | June 10 2022 | 6th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

annoying enough kids so that you root for dinos which you should

?????????

Sadistic spectatorship like this is what slasher films and monster mash movies like Piranha are for. Not family popcorn blockbusters.

Where on earth was the precedent for this kind of spectatorship in the first movie? Or even any of the first three movies? Or even any era of mainstream filmmaking?

12 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

The entire rest of the film is pretty awful. The failure to acknowledge or realise BDH was the villain (and giving what should have been her death scene to a side character in what therefore became one of the most obnoxious sequences in a family movie) was bizarre, the characterisation was non existent, the kids annoying and the eternal ridiculous notion that "dinosaurs in the military" is a viable plot point.

I maintain the argument that Jurassic World and The Force Awakens being the ultra mega hits they were have been responsible for a lot of the more negative trends we've seen since then and, in the long run, will be seen in later generations the way we look at Jaws 2 (also a massive hit) today.

Claire was the villain which Owen pointed out. She redeemed herself. What else do you want?

Side character death was good. Raises the stakes. No one is safe. If only people who did something wrong died, what would be stakes? Also, death, like Owen/Claire banter and Claire's iconic high heels run, got negative press only on social media. Movie's legs showed that audience had no problem with any of it. They were having FUN.

The kids were annoying in JP too and bad actors. Annoying kids are a staple of monster movies. Nobody likes Eleven in Godzilla movies either. They go with the genre contievancies. 

[Dinosaurs] in military is another monster movie trope. Sooner or later, military wants to harness the monster power. Shit hits the fan. 

Eh, JW and TFA may be responsible for negative trends but there's always content that is responsible for positive trends. Also, it's highly subjective. If you dislike JW you will think it's nostalgia done wrong, while those who love it will tell you it's done right. So it's inconclusive whether the trend it started wass negative, positive or there was trend at all.

Edited by Valonqar

9 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

?????????

Sadistic spectatorship like this is what slasher films and monster mash movies like Piranha are for. Not family popcorn blockbusters.

Where on earth was the precedent for this kind of spectatorship in the first movie? Or even any of the first three movies? Or even any era of mainstream filmmaking?

I'm sure it was just a joke. Although JW did seem to take sadistic delight at BDH's assistant being torn to shreds and then gobbled up for the sin of... looking at her phone.

(I'd have been up for a movie full of stuff like that, but having it just once was... weird.)

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 4

Just finish watching, I thought JWD is a solid entertainment and dinosaur scenes are actually quite an improvement from FK. There are some really dumb and non-sensical moment but if critics can give a pass on F9, I can't understand why the harsh tone to JWD. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Just finish watching, I thought JWD is a solid entertainment and dinosaur scenes are actually quite an improvement from FK. There are some really dumb and non-sensical moment but if critics can give a pass on F9, I can't understand why the harsh tone to JWD. 

How's Blue's running time? 

Hopefully the next Jurassic trilogy will go all out and give us a massive, epic global world war between Dino and Humans with the ending being the world in destruction, extinction of humans (cause they lost) and the return of the earth to Jurassic era.

What a story that will be!!! It will put every butt on the seat and like... Who says NO??!! Universal better realizes this and start developing that storyline.

I'm so done with Dino in the park, or being controlled and make the Dino weak and outsmarted compared to humans shenanigans. Need new fresh storylines.

1 minute ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Very short. A few scenes, but compared to the first two JW movies, here she has more of a cameo role.

That's terrible. Thanks for the feedback, mate.

A deal breaker for me. Seriously, everyone loves Blue so WTF, Universal?

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

Claire was the villain which Owen pointed out. She redeemed herself. What else do you want?

Side character death was good. Raises the stakes. No one is safe. If only people who did something wrong died, where would be stakes?

She didn't redeem herself. Remotely. What she was responsible for was not redeemable by feeling bad and trying to save children. 

That, as you know perfectly well, was not a normal death scene. You know it. I know it. Everyone knows it. It was a death scene for a big boss villain but the film didn't have the context to do it to a big boss villain so gave a vile, sadistic yet cartoonish death to a side character. 

Richard Schiff's death in the Lost World was 'raising the stakes'. So were SLJ and Bob Peck's in the original. This was 'pointless sadism imported from a different genre'.

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

The kids were annoying in JP too and bad actors.

Neither of those things is true. One of them was annoying from the perspective of Dr Grant, which was deliberate and directly tied to that character's arc.

7 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

[Dinosaurs] in military is another monster movie trope. Sooner or later, military wants to harness the monster power. Shit hits the fan. 

Doesn't make sense in a world where the military's power is overwhelmingly larger than anything the monsters are capable of. It was a trope from a time where that wasn't true. Presented in a contemporary environment (especially when taken to the actual notions of its application) it's ludicrous.

8 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

If you dislike JW you will think it's nostalgia done wrong, while those who love it will tell you it's done right.

I actually argued the nostalgia element of JW was part of the element done right in the film, or at least in terms of relationship to the original. It wasn't in TFA (an even more egregious film IMO, but that's a different argument). We have seen however that the follow ups followed decent nostalgia usage to shoddy, lazy nostalgia usage in 2 and, likely 3.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Claudio said:

Hopefully the next Jurassic trilogy will go all out and give us a massive, epic global world war between Dino and Humans with the ending being the world in destruction, extinction of humans (cause they lost) and the return of the earth to Jurassic era.

What a story that will be!!! It will put every butt on the seat and like... Who says NO??!! Universal better realizes this and start developing that storyline.

I'm so done with Dino in the park, or being controlled and make the Dino weak and outsmarted compared to humans shenanigans. Need new fresh storylines.

I want them to give this series a hiatus for at least 5 years or so and brainstorm good ideas how to go forward. My personal idea for it would be to not make another trilogy, but make standalone movies with new characters and contained storylines which is set in a world where dinosaurs are close to dominating the world again and humans are in danger of extinction. There are so many interesting storys, especially for adventure and thriller movies, you could come up with.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I want them to give this series a hiatus for at least 5 years or so and brainstorm good ideas how to go forward. My personal idea for it would be to not make another trilogy, but make standalone movies with new characters and contained storylines which is set in a world where dinosaurs are close to dominating the world again and humans are in danger of extinction. There are so many interesting storys, especially for adventure and thriller movies, you could come up with.

Well, I agree on that. Some hiatus and new storylines. Some cool story idea you got there. Definitely will get me hooked up but is still prefer mine tho hehehe. Btw I don't mind if it'll be a trilogy or just one-off movie. I just want to see epic battle from Jurassic in the big screen. Something this franchise still lack of I think.

Edited by Claudio
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hatebox said:

The seems to be getting the kind of reviews the first Jurassic World film should have.

200.gif

I remember watching JW on premiere weekend in my hometown cinema. Me and my 2 brothers laughed so hard at the end when Velo-Boromir run to save Mary and Pippi... to save T-Rex from Indominus, that I couldn't watch it any longer :D This was one of the dumbest film I've ever seen in my life, the whole idea to cook in lab new, bigger dinousaur because the public quickly become bored with the classic dinosaurs (in, you know, our world, where, you know, we go to ZOO and will never get bored with Lions, snakes and Tigers :lol:) was lol x10, train raptors where LOL x100, and the military guy trying to convince Owen to give him raptors to the army as a weapon was... I can't even... The whole script was on Sharknado type-of-film level. Lack of suspense and not as great as in the first two CGI also didn't help the film. It was bad.

Jurassic World is still the most incomprehensible box-office success in the history of cinema for me. Maverick is the same level of mega-surprise this summer, but thanks god, this time it's a great film.

Edited by Juby
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Juby said:

200.gif

I remember watching JW on premiere weekend in my hometown cinema. Me and my 2 brothers laughed so hard at the end when Velo-Boromir run to save Mary and Pippi... to save T-Rex from Indominus, that I couldn't watch it any longer :D This was one of the dumbest film I've ever seen in my life, the whole idea to cook in lab new, bigger dinousaur because the public quickly become bored with the classic dinosaurs (in, you know, our world, where, you know, we go to ZOO and will never get bored with Lions, snakes and Tigers :lol:) was lol x10, train raptors where LOL x100, and the military guy trying to convince Owen to give him raptors to the army as a weapon was... I can't even... The whole script was on Sharknado type-of-film level. Lack of suspense and not as great as in the first two CGI also didn't help the film. It was bad.

Jurassic World is still the most incomprehensible box-office success in the history of cinema for me. Maverick is the same level of mega-surprise this summer, but thanks god, this time it's a great film.

It's pretty clear that the actual twist in the first movie was that the I-Rex was combining T-Rex, Raptor AND Human DNA. It's set up throughout its escape and initial scenes but was written out for some reason.

13 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It's pretty clear that the actual twist in the first movie was that the I-Rex was combining T-Rex, Raptor AND Human DNA. It's set up throughout its escape and initial scenes but was written out for some reason.

That was never the plan.