Eric Prime

The Many Saints of Newark | October 1, 2021 | Sopranos Prequel written by David Chase l ALAN TAYLOR DIRECTS

David Chase is still pissed.

DEADLINE: It is kind of ironic that here you make a theatrical film based on the iconic HBO series, and it’s coming out day-and-date on something with HBO in the title. What did you feel when that edict came down?

CHASE: Extremely angry, and I still am. I mean, I don’t know how much you go into this, you know, like…okay. If I was…one of those guys, if one of those executives was sitting here and I was to start pissing and moaning about it, they’d say, you know, there’s 17 other movies that have the same problem. What could we do? Covid! Well, I know, but those 16 other movies didn’t start out as a television show. They don’t have to shed that television image before you get people to the theater. But we do. And that’s where we’re at. People should go see it in a theater. It was designed to be a movie. It was…it’s beautiful as a movie. I never thought that it would be back on HBO. Never.

David Chase On The Sopranos’ Prequel ‘The Many Saints Of Newark’ & More Movies – Deadline

5 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Has this moved yet to Sept 24 (or kicked later)?  My 12s have already set Venom 2 for 4.5 screens and both double biggie screens each...so there's not gonna be a whole lotta room for this to do...well...anything...if it could do anything...

Venom already has all the biggest screens for that weekend looking around where I am and Dear Evan Hansen is locking in prime auditorium real estate the weekend before (plus Shang-Chi will still be making notable amounts of money). I don't think this is gonna make much in theaters and WB knows it honestly, especially when it'll be available to watch at home (where most people were likely always going to be more eager to watch it in the first place) the same day and the fact its target audience of adults has yet to show signs of returning to theaters en masse. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dear Eric Hansen said:

Currently at 67 on MC and 67% on Rotten Tomatoes

The Empire and Total Film reviews told me that this is exactly what I was hoping it’d be. I can see it splitting critics though as it seems like although you can dive into it without having seen the show and it makes sense, its designed more for the existing fans.

I’ve just come back from seeing it in the UK

Now I’m a huge Sopranos fan. Along with Mad Men and The Wire, it’s my favourite show of all time. 

Newark is GREAT. Everything a Sopranos fan could wish it to be. So for anybody thinking they’ll catch it on HBO Max who is a fan? Go to the theater. It’s cinematic and a somewhat religious experience to see something you love return and feel like it’s always been there - you just haven’t seen it. 

• Like 2