Alli

Weekend Thread: Weekend estimates pg 38...BP 41.14....WIT 33.31

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

For some reason people treat Oprah like she's some kind of deity.  She has never been a box office draw and she hasn't really been a relevant personality for about a decade.  

Have you ignored the news for the past two months? :hahaha: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

For some reason people treat Oprah like she's some kind of deity.  She has never been a box office draw and she hasn't really been a relevant personality for about a decade.  

I think you may want to raise shields after that one to get prepared for what is coming :P 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Have you ignored the news for the past two months? :hahaha: 

But does her so called presidential aspirations (which I think is all bullshit anyway) doesn't really make her a box office draw.  Sorry, maybe I worded it incorrectly.  

Oprah is no box office draw, but she is most certainly a relevant pop figure. People treat her like a mythical figure because, whether we likr her or not, her life narrative is still an object of fascination, derision, and endless buzz to thr public and the media. She may not have a top rated talk show anymore, but she still exerts a powerful influence on all things pop culture. and I say this as someone who doesn't really worship at her altar.

12 minutes ago, baumer said:

Even in its prime, her talk show was consistently beat in the ratings by Judge Judy, the film adaptations of the much-hyped Book of the Month club bombed (White Oleander, The Deep End of the Ocean) and her showing up on shows like 30 Rock (Remember what a huge deal that was in the press?) didn't help its ratings whatsoever. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Alli said:

Wrinkle is a "normal" movie with a black girl as the lead. I have not seen it, but it doesn't seem to promote black culture/power. I'm surprised tho it didn't get a more black audience.

I think above all else, it kind of shows that when most people talk about "I want to see diversity in movies", they mean "I want to see diversity in the type of movies I already watch".

• Like 5

People I know are now trying to say everyone expected BP to make a Billion WW before it's release and it wasn't unexpected. I've been laughing at this all morning. Because that was not what everyone expected lol. Very few people expected that before the film came out.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Even in its prime, her talk show was consistently beat in the ratings by Judge Judy, the film adaptations of the much-hyped Book of the Month club bombed (White Oleander, The Deep End of the Ocean) and her showing up on shows like 30 Rock (Remember what a huge deal that was in the press?) didn't help its ratings whatsoever. 

And yet she was billed number one in the movie.  It makes no sense to me.  She was a talk show host but for some reason studio heads think that people want to see her in a movie?  Strange.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Alli said:

Wrinkle is a "normal" movie with a black girl as the lead. I have not seen it, but it doesn't seem to promote black culture/power. I'm surprised tho it didn't get a more black audience.

I mean the movie is about a biracial girl in search for her white father based on a children’s book from the 60’s. Not to be racially inflammatory but that doesn’t really scream to most of the black community as “we must support this movie!” 

Thats why why I think pushing the “diversity angle was a weird marketing move from the beginning. It seemed they were trying to ride the wave of black panther when the films couldn’t e more different.. 

2 minutes ago, NoLegMan said:

People I know are now trying to say everyone expected BP to make a Billion WW before it's release and it wasn't unexpected. I've been laughing at this all morning. Because that was not what everyone expected lol. Very few people expected that before the film came out.

Lmao I’ve seen Marvel fans on reddit be annoying about it and now saying that infinity war is guaranteed to make 2 billion now. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, NoLegMan said:

It's going to be 2018's top grosser (domestically and worldwide) and yeah, nobody saw this coming. Which is why box-office can be so fun to follow.

• Like 3

I have the opportunity to see WIT or Strangers 2 this afternoon.

First film with three recommendations wins it......what should I see?

3 hours ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

He’s a child with a 5 second attention span

Oh stop it....he likes Cameron, is that so bad?

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Strangers 2, you'll probably like it more. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Predictions for next week:

Black Panther: 26.7M

Tomb Raider: 22M

Love, Simon: 16M

A Wrinkle in Time: 15.5M

Game Night: 5.5M

Peter Rabbit: 5.2M

Red Sparrow: 4.8M

Strangers: 3.7M

Death Wish: 3.3M

I Can Only Imagine: 2.5M

I won't be surprised if WIT drops 55%+. WOM is fucking awful for a family movie, and it has little appeal for anyone over the age of 10.

Han, where are the predictions you made last Sunday for this weekend and the +/- deviations? 

3 hours ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Stay home, order take-out and rewatch The Blues Brothers in your underwear instead.

Movies are an addiction.  I love going to the theatre...so pretty please with sugar on top...recommend a fucking movie.  :)

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

AWIT but not because I'm recommending. I just want to see your reaction to the film in the box office forum. Similar to how you reacted to that stupid fucking fish a few years back :ph34r:

Strangers 2 as my actual recommendation 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1