baumer

Happy Death Day 2U | Feb 13 2019

5 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I'm shocked with its domestic performance. Movie won't even make 30 million total. That's almost what the previous one got alone for its opening weekend.

it's the epitome of a "sequel no one asked for".

43 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I'm shocked with its domestic performance. Movie won't even make 30 million total. That's almost what the previous one got alone for its opening weekend.

its better than the original. i cant believe trash like ouija 2 did better

anyway the movie's gonna end up doing 7-8x its budget so im praying for a 3quel but i doubt it

9 minutes ago, TombRaider said:

anyway the movie's gonna end up doing 7-8x its budget so im praying for a 3quel but i doubt it

speaking of Ouija 2, if that can't get a ouija 3 made, then I dont see why a hdd tree would happen, given 2U made significantly less than ouija 2, on the same budget.

5 minutes ago, Avatree said:

speaking of Ouija 2, if that can't get a ouija 3 made, then I dont see why a hdd tree would happen, given 2U made significantly less than ouija 2, on the same budget. 

HDD actually having a fanbase and the movies being well liked probably?? im sure jason b has more love for HDD saga than ouija, plus the director and jessica rothe are an amazing team

Edited by TombRaider

1 minute ago, TombRaider said:

HDD actually having a fanbase and the movies being well liked probably?? im sure jason b has more love for HDD saga than ouija, plus the director and jessica rothe are an amazing team

clearly doesnt have that much of a fanbase when hdd2 opened to $9 million.

4 minutes ago, TombRaider said:

you dont get it...

by your reasoning, why did pacific rim have a sequel? im sure the studio could have given a sequel to other more profitable movie

Pacific Rim had a sequel because China grossed over $100M and they believed the Chinese audience could expand much further. Not to mention it was made by a Chinese company.

I don't believe that is the case With Happy Death Day which I dont think is getting a China release.

:hahaha:

Yeh, @Avatree has been dead against this film from the get go. 

“Sequel no one asked for”, yet he went to see it opening weekend for some reason. 

I asked for it, so your comment is officially incorrect. 

HDD3 won’t happen, but at least they’re not losing money. Wish more people turned up domestically. 

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

Pacific Rim had a sequel because China grossed over $100M and they believed the Chinese audience could expand much further. Not to mention it was made by a Chinese company.

I don't believe that is the case With Happy Death Day which I dont think is getting a China release.

:hahaha:

Well the first HDD did get a China release, so it’s up to Universal. 

Just now, Krissykins said:

Yeh, @Avatree has been dead against this film from the get go. 

“Sequel no one asked for”, yet he went to see it opening weekend for some reason. 

I asked for it, so your comment is officially incorrect. 

HDD3 won’t happen, but at least they’re not losing money. Wish more people turned up domestically. 

not true, not against this film, i enjoyed the first one, i am just talking from box office perspective.

Obviously there are certain individuals who "asked" for it, its a figure of speech, you know what I mean.

also I did not see it opening weekend.

1 hour ago, TombRaider said:

Blum said on twitter that a sequel was unlikely .

17 hours ago, Avatree said:

Pacific Rim had a sequel because China grossed over $100M and they believed the Chinese audience could expand much further.

well they're dumb for thinking that? HDD2 will finish with 7x its budget. hit. i dont know why they wouldnt do it, i mean, they know they'll get their budget back several times unlike with flops like upgrade, amytiville, the darkness or jem

Edited by TombRaider

I raised this point to Jessica recently, but the downside of the first movie exceeding any and all expectations was that it likely placed unrealistic expectations on the sequel’s box office performance. And yet, the sequel still made seven times its production budget, which is a figure that most movies would celebrate. Do you agree that the first film’s box office overperformance created starry-eyed expectations for the sequel?

Absolutely. 100 percent. When you have a really successful movie, you’ve set that bar really high and so everyone’s expectation was there. And what was really difficult, challenging and ultimately heartbreaking for everyone involved, but especially for Jessica and I, was that all of our tracking — literally up to opening weekend — said that we were going to perform in the similar sort of lane. But the audience just didn’t turn out the way they did before. It’s not a failure because you made a good point, which is that the movie actually made a lot of money. By the way, Universal marketing, they’re geniuses and they’re wonderful partners to work with, but I think that it was a tricky one to sell. What traditionally works for most sequels, which is sell the same thing, really hurt us. Because I made a movie that was quite different from the first film, they sold it just like the first film, all the way up to using the exact same song in the trailer. And so, in hiding all of the things that made the second movie unique, I think we kind of got hurt by that. But yeah, it’s weird. Any other movie would’ve gotten a sequel, or a third movie, based on our performance. And for some reason, we just didn’t. What’s interesting about both movies is that they’ve had quite an afterlife, and I think a lot of people, post-theatrical, found the second movie and then really liked it. I got a lot of messages on social media from people saying, “Holy shit, I wish I had seen this in theaters. It was good,” which is sort of bittersweet, but you never know. There still might be a path to a third movie, but that is entirely in Universal’s court. They know that everyone involved in the first two films wants to do a third one, but they have to be the ones that feel a need or a justification to do it.

• Like 2