Box Office Hit

Peppermint | September 7, 2018 | STX | Jennifer Garner

STXfilms and Lakeshore Entertainment have set a Sept. 7 domestic release date for the Jennifer Garner action-thriller “Peppermint.”

Directed by Pierre Morel (“Taken”) from a script by Chad St. John, Garner portrays a mother who awakens from a coma after her husband and daughter are killed in a brutal attack on the family. When the system shields the murderers from justice, Riley she sets out to transform herself from citizen to urban guerrilla — eluding the underworld, the LAPD and the FBI — as she methodically delivers her personal brand of justice.

Peppermint” also stars John Ortiz, Juan Pablo Raba, John Gallagher Jr., Annie Ilonzeh, Pell James and Richard Cabral. Producers are Tom Rosenberg, Gary Lucchesi, Eric Reid and Richard Wright, with Renee Tab and Christopher Tuffin serving as executive producers.

STXfilms noted that “Peppermint” is the latest in a series of its female-led releases including the two “Bad Moms” movies, “The Edge of Seventeen,” and “Molly’s Game.” It’s opening Amy Schumer’s comedy “I Feel Pretty” on April 20 and Shailene Woodley’s sailing drama “Adrift” on June 1.

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/jennifer-garner-thriller-peppermint-september-1202733627/

• Like 1

Well, it's not that different: ALIAS comes to mind, and Elektra.

I welcome her return to badass action babe mode.

It does remind me of Death Wish and Kill Bill, but who cares? Every movie takes cues from other films and properties. It's the execution what matters.

I have always found her very likeable and charming; I hate that she has been relegated to TV ads and tertiary roles in family comedies that nobody watches.

I hope this finds an audience.

• Like 2

The only other wide release on September 7th is currently The Nun, so it seems to me that STX 'struck while the iron was hot' in regards to getting this film a date with minimal competition. Such scheduling worked for Death Wish against Red Sparrow (to a degree).

Jennifer Garner is certainly not as big of an actress as she was before; but performers have certainly resurged before, and Garner's resurgence just might have started with this:

Jennifer-Garner-Oscars-Meme.png

This was one of the most popular internet memes from the previous Oscar ceremony, and it certainly did place a new focus on the actress. So I think it'd be in STX's best interest to release a trailer for this as soon as possible, so people bring up this meme to the point where buzz for the film can pull itself up.

I think the best comparison to this film would be The Foreigner from last year: an action thriller distributed by STX that stars a performer who has seemingly lost the stardom they once had.

I heard that this project had previously won funding from Orange County (or some sort of community accolade such as that), so my hopes for this project are high.

• Like 1

I can't believe I'm saying this, cause I can't stand her, but between my former hardcore Alias obsession and just watching her in Love, Simon, I... probably could get behind this.  But I'm not holding my breath.

1 hour ago, captainwondyful said:

I can't believe I'm saying this, cause I can't stand her, but between my former hardcore Alias obsession and just watching her in Love, Simon, I... probably could get behind this.  But I'm not holding my breath.

How can you not stand jennifer? she seems so nice, and how can you not stand someone if you were obsessed with HER show?

They should just rename these films “[blank] Punisher” and be done with it.

”Woman Punisher”

”Old Punisher”

”Black Punisher”

”Old Black Punisher”

”Disabled Punisher”

Again, who cares if it reminds people of X film? The top grossing films of all time list is full of films that are based on the template of countless other films. Are we not aware by now that what truly matters is not whether a film is "unique and original" but how it is executed and how compelling the characters are? 

Plus, Punisher did not invent the concept of "vigilante sets out to avenge his slain family" anyway...

By the way, I love the tagline ("the system failed; she won't").

And I love the concept of that poster, although the execution seems a tad wonky to me...

• Like 1