Fancyarcher

Weekend Thread | Estimates: AQP 50M, RP1 25M, CKBLK 21.4M, BP 8.4M,

10 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Get Out's cinematography and overall presentation are far from perfect. It doesnt really look "cinematic" and reminded me of a TV-Show (which in some cases isnt a bad thing, but i just wished this movie looked better). The camera is quite stale, the directing is just solid, not great (for example, IT had far better cinematography and directing). The jumpscare noises were incredibly annoying and totally unneccessary (ftr, i hate these loud jump noises in all horror films). Also, the movie itself was extremely predictable for me and i laughed not once. I also didnt find it to be scary at all but thats probably me because the last film that scared me was Lost Highway and thats like 8 years ago.

Just to be clear, i really like the film and its certainly one of the most unique and thematically effective "horror" movies of this decade. But as a film, it could have been even better.

Oh okay.

I didn't notice any glaring issues. 

I was fully engrossed. 

But if a movie doesn't pull me in I will nitpick out of sheer boredom.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, harrycaul said:

So is Blum like some sort of immune carrier?

No. He dies with the curse next week when Truth or Dare bombs.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Oh okay.

I didn't notice any glaring issues. 

I was fully engrossed. 

But if a movie doesn't pull me in I will nitpick out of sheer boredom.

To be fair, im pretty much the same. When i really get into a movie i tend to ignore small flaws, but when the movie is just chugging along, im a lot more nitpicky. Also depends on the mood im in.

• Like 1

Saw that Pacific Rim Uprising is out of the top 10 on Friday, 14 days after release. One of the fastest movies to go from #1 to outside the top 10. Devil Inside did it in 10 days. Friday the 13th 2009 also took 2 weeks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Astonished 3
  • Sad 2
  • Disbelief 1

9 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Saw that Pacific Rim Uprising is out of the top 10 on Friday, 14 days after release. One of the fastest movies to go from #1 to outside the top 10. Devil Inside did it in 10 days. Friday the 13th 2009 also took 2 weeks.

Remember when that creep Devin Faraci said that Pacific Rim was the next Star Wars?

• Haha 4

50 minutes ago, grim22 said:

40 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Remember when that creep Devin Faraci said that Pacific Rim was the next Star Wars?

"Pacific Rim Uprising is a springboard for a cinematic universe, where DeKnight revealed "If enough people show up to this, we've already talked about the plot of the third movie, and how the end of the third movie would expand the universe to a Star Wars/Star Trek-style [franchise or series] where you can go in many, many different directions... You can go main canon, you can go spin-offs, you can go one-offs. Yeah, that's the plan."[62] DeKnight also talked about the possibility of a crossover with the MonsterVerse,[63] as co-writer T.S. Nowlin is a member of its writers room"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 3

9 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

It’s going to be a good long while before I see any headline regarding the box office  as insane as “Black Panther passes Titanic” 

Wait till next year

BP gonna beat TLJ ww. Was less that 35 away on Thursday. 

This weekend will be 7.8 dom + 4.2 os (assuming -45% from 7.7 os last weekend) = 12 (at least, cause my os estimate is conservative).

That leaves it <23 ww away from TLJ after this weekend. Could add that amount with post 8th weekend dom run itself, and os after this weekend should take BP over HP8.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, a2knet said:

BP gonna beat TLJ ww. Was less that 35 away on Thursday. 

This weekend will be 7.8 dom + 4.2 os (assuming -45% from 7.7 os last weekend) = 12 (at least, cause my os estimate is conservative).

That leaves it <23 ww away from TLJ after this weekend. Could add that amount with post 8th weekend dom run itself, and os after this weekend should take BP over HP8.

MCU coming for that 5/10 WW top 10 spots. It’ll probably happen next May/June unless JW2 can clear Panther.  

Edit: Unlikely to last very long of course, with Lion King, SWIX, Avatar 2, etc.

Edited by Sliver Legion
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

28 minutes ago, John Marston said:

"Pacific Rim Uprising is a springboard for a cinematic universe, where DeKnight revealed "If enough people show up to this, we've already talked about the plot of the third movie, and how the end of the third movie would expand the universe to a Star Wars/Star Trek-style [franchise or series] where you can go in many, many different directions... You can go main canon, you can go spin-offs, you can go one-offs. Yeah, that's the plan."[62] DeKnight also talked about the possibility of a crossover with the MonsterVerse,[63] as co-writer T.S. Nowlin is a member of its writers room"

I know all studios want their cinematic universes now because of Marvel but how about focusing on making good individual movies first and if it happens it happens? Hell, it's young days yet and maybe it falters soon but The Conjuring franchise is doing pretty darn well and you know what it has in common with the MCU? The first film in the franchise is solid, gives you likable characters and an interesting world but doesn't overwhelm with tedious world building. It's focus is on being a singularly good film first. I wish Universal (who should have made horror movies with their horror characters) and WB had understood that when it came to their comic book movies anyway.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sliver Legion said:

MCU coming for that 5/10 WW top 10 spots. It’ll probably happen next May/June unless JW2 can clear Panther.  

Edit: Unlikely to last very long of course, with Lion King, SWIX, Avatar 2, etc.

FOX will never go to Disney. Its already under appeal for not to happen. One movie company can not have so much power and be top at the boxoffice every year and likely every month. 

Edited by svenson
  • Disbelief 1

4 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I'm afraid the curse will die again w/The Purge 4 later this year, and then once more w/Halloween.

Purge 4 seems like political suicide, it is gonna be the lowest grossing of the 4. Halloween will bomb too as younglins won't give a fuck about it since it is a sequel. Universal has killed Blumhouse.

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

3 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Get Out's cinematography and overall presentation are far from perfect. It doesnt really look "cinematic" and reminded me of a TV-Show (which in some cases isnt a bad thing, but i just wished this movie looked better). The camera is quite stale, the directing is just solid, not great (for example, IT had far better cinematography and directing). The jumpscare noises were incredibly annoying and totally unneccessary (ftr, i hate these loud jump noises in all horror films). Also, the movie itself was extremely predictable for me and i laughed not once. I also didnt find it to be scary at all but thats probably me because the last film that scared me was Lost Highway and thats like 8 years ago.

Just to be clear, i really like the film and its certainly one of the most unique and thematically effective "horror" movies of this decade. But as a film, it could have been even better.

It is literally jump scare followed by another disjointed jump scare, and anyone saying that it has good direction is ridiculous. 

My prediction about A Quiet Place receiving a B+ Cinemascore after having seen it at SXSW turns out to be right. It is going to have a 3x multiplier like Split and will probably gross $140,000,000+. That is great for Paramount, but it is not enough to make it an Oscar contender. The entire conversation about A Quiet Place being an Oscar contender is strange. 

A Quiet Place is good, but it has conventional horror trappings. It is even stranger given the fact that Hereditary is right around the corner, and that movie is legitimately great. If any horror movie receives Oscar nominations this year it will Hereditary. That movie has layers (similar to Get Out), great acting and elevates the genre. Once it is released for everyone, the conversations about A Quiet Place being an Oscar contender are going to evaporate. I am quite positive that critics are going to rally around Hereditary enough at the end of the year to ensure that it pops up at the Oscars. 

Edited by PenguinHyphy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

I wanted to add a disbelief so you could have all reactions to this post.