CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

I am sorry but I don't buy that line of thinking.

Why is that? There is plenty of evidence to back it up throughout box office history. Before you say $250-260m is maximum capacity, I'm just going to shoot that down very quick. I believe Spizzer did the math years ago and the theoretical maximum is in the neighborhood of $350-400m for a weekend. 

14 minutes ago, MAKKALUL said:

So now that Infinity War has OW numbers, how is Black Panther > IW dom looking now?

still looking good. It has more competition and we don't know what the second/third weekend drops will be. Sorry, it might not beat BP dom run.

Edited by YLF

Logan s script and story beats were subpar superhero stuff, things we ve seen a million times before done better elsewhere.

The Dudebro aesthetics made people thought Logan was "important !" & "artistic" or whatever bullshit cinephiles believe these days.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

5 minutes ago, MAKKALUL said:

So now that Infinity War has OW numbers, how is Black Panther > IW dom looking now?

Gonna be close.  Black Panther looks to be headed to the 695-705 million area. IW will probably make at least 650 million. Deadpool and Solo are gonna hurt it some. We’ll have a pretty good idea after next weekend. 

14 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

Poor Fox. Even their big movie from last year Logan has already been forgotten. Can’t catch a break.

That's too bad as Logan is a much better film than AIW, quality-wise, that is.

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1

3 hours ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

TFA’s OW seemed like the untouchable holy grail when it occurred. So much pent up hype. The return of the royal family of cinema. Then this motherload comes and takes a steaming crap on that line of thinking 

I guess all records are meant to be broken.  

• Like 1

Black Panther is gonna need a mad push from Disney to get to the 700M. It will need all the drive in assistance it can get from Avengers now and from Solo in late May.

36 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Is there any way to find a list of Canadian OWs? It would be interesting to see what other mega-openers did in Canada.

15 minutes ago, baumer said:

Unfortunately no.  Tribute used to keep track of this stuff.  Now they don't.  The only way to get it is from a source like RTH or from Rentrak.

There is data here, they do weekly BO and from memory also break out QC, info on Canadian films etc.  However it use to be free now you have to pay for access

http://playbackonline.ca

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, YLF said:

Shes a joke. She said early in black panthers run that if it truly wanted to be special it would need to make 2B. And she insists that the numbers are soft overseas because of the domestic/overseas split percentage wise even though BP made more overseas than the vast majority of MCU movies sans team ups.

I don’t watch many videos of hers but you are right that is some grade A bullshit. Black panther did spectacular overseas (and I was screaming through the roof in this forum that it would, when some people had doubts) , it just became a cultural phenomenon in the u.s for obvious reasons. The thing has done 650 million os, how is that not amazing for a single character film ? How many single character superhero films have done better overseas than BP ? I can only think of iron man 3 , no Nolan Batman film , no other single character MCU film, not spider man 3. 

• Like 2

Just now, CJohn said:

Black Panther is gonna need a mad push from Disney to get to the 700M. It will need all the drive in assistance it can get from Avengers now and from Solo in late May.

That would be pretty awesome if Panther can get there. Incredible run and $700m would be an epic milestone to reach. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

The amazing thing is that this movie did not benefit from including $100 tickets sold for showings of all 7 Star Wars movies on the Thursday of TFA. No one has ever commented on this but I think it’s time to realize that those extra showings all day Thursday simply must have contributed a huge fraction of the space between all the other huge previews in the 35-40 range versus TFA at almost 60. 

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Logan s script and story beats were subpar superhero stuff, things we ve seen a million times before done better elsewhere.

Um what? Logan received an Academy Award nomination for its screenplay. I don't think any other superhero movie has received a screenplay nomination. Not even The Dark Knight managed a screenplay nom.

• Like 2

Just now, BugsBunny said:

The amazing thing is that this movie did not benefit from including $100 tickets sold for showings of all 7 Star Wars movies on the Thursday of TFA. No one has ever commented on this but I think it’s time to realize that those extra showings all day Thursday simply must have contributed a huge fraction of the space between all the other huge previews in the 35-40 range versus TFA at almost 60. 

You do realize Marvel has similar franchise marathon shows, right? Those shows add a very minimal number. And setting aside, how do you explain TFA's run the rest of the way? After Thursday, the film grossed $880 million all by itself. 

• Like 5

Whether you wanted IW to get the OW record or not, as box office nerds, this is what we live for.  We all want to see great box office feats and we have witnessed two mind blowing and record breaking weekends in 18 months.  It's a great time to be a fan of following the box office.  It's exciting to see the numbers come in, the whispers of underestimations from our two insiders and then to refresh deadline and twitter and facebook just to see if we can get any kind of hint as to what's happening.  This is like Christmas for me, filled with hope and joy and excitement! 

• Like 16

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Yeah but if A4 or TLK don't do it next year, I don't know what even could in the foreseeable future. TLK is the peak of Disneys animated library (maybe if they wrote a new sequel if it ends up being a huge success?). IW, A4 and TLK were all mentioned as contenders back in that TFA thread. I don't have a contender this time past 2019 and I think only A4 has a legit shot at it out of those 2.

As far as Marvel, it will take a long time to build up to an event this big again. Same with Star Wars.

I guess crazier things have happened though.