Neo

Venom | 5 OCTOBER 2018 | Sony | Tom Hardy is Venom. Social Media reactions coming in

43 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

this movie was HILARIOUS 

2nd best superhero comedy of the year after DP2 (yes I found it funnier than AMATW minus that luis scene and I didn't see I2).

Problem is it was sold and marketed as a dark and horror themed take on the Superhero genre. Bait and Switch..even if unintentional...never works in the long run.

Yeah, it will have a good opening weekend but will drop like a stone.

9 minutes ago, dudalb said:

God, you actually expect the people who put up the money and took the finisncial risks not to have a say ?

Don't know where you are living with that, but it's not reality.

The producer's job is to rep the studio, but within reason. Learn how filmmaking works. 

It's not about what I expect. I know what the reality is...I'm merely voicing what I think should be the case. Motherfucking business school grads don't know a damn thing about making movies. 

• Like 1

nd

25 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

The producer's job is to rep the studio, but within reason. Learn how filmmaking works. 

It's not about what I expect. I know what the reality is...I'm merely voicing what I think should be the case. Motherfucking business school grads don't know a damn thing about making movies. 

And a lot of filmmakers don't know a damn thing about running a business..which a studio is.

3 minutes ago, Mulder said:

International doesn't care about reviews as much.

Brazil doesn't care at all : BVS and JL were both huge there despite their terrible reviews so I expect Venom to do well there.

Other markets like France are more sensitive to reviews though.

19 minutes ago, Mulder said:

International doesn't care about reviews as much.

Then why didn't Justice League do better than BvS overseas? Why did BvS have such large drops after it's massive opening weekend?

Edited by Zakiyyah6

1 hour ago, Fullbuster said:

Brazil doesn't care at all : BVS and JL were both huge there despite their terrible reviews so I expect Venom to do well there.

Other markets like France are more sensitive to reviews though.

This weekend, there will be elections here in Brazil. Venom should not have a good debut.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Then why didn't Justice League do better than BvS overseas? Why did BvS have such large drops after it's massive opening weekend?

Because international didn't like BvS, I'm just explaining why the RT score wouldn't hit Venom in South Korea.

• Like 1

If Sony didn't spend 250/300 million with Venom, then I guess the movie's gonna be profitable.

Sony wasted a ton of money with TASM 2. Some sources say budget was 200 million + 190 million for marketing/promotion. That's insane. I can fully get why did they give up the TASM universe even after TASM 2 managed to make more than 700 million worldwide.

They spent way too much money.  Hopefully Venom has a smaller budget

4 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

If Sony didn't spend 250/300 million with Venom, then I guess the movie's gonna be profitable.

Sony wasted a ton of money with TASM 2. Some sources say budget was 200 million + 190 million for marketing/promotion. That's insane. I can fully get why did they give up the TASM universe even after TASM 2 managed to make more than 700 million worldwide.

They spent way too much money.  Hopefully Venom has a smaller budget

$100m for Venom's production budget and maybe another $100m for Venom's marketing?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

That would have been relatively cheap a 390m budget + WW P&A for those big SH movies.

TASM 2 was the cheapest Spider Man movie in a very long time.

Net Production budget / World releasing cost

2004: Spider Man 2: 237.48m / 239.38m

2007: Spider Man 3: 299.76m / 243.21m

2012: TASM 1      : 261.59m / 199.07m

2014: TASM 2      : 263.95m / 191.79m

Total actual / adjusted for inflation in 2014 dollar

SM2 : 476.87m / 586.35m

SM3 : 542.98m / 619.96m

ASM1: 460.67m / 475.00m

ASM2: 455.74m / 455.74m

Price was far to be the issue with those Amazing Spider Man movies, quality was.

Edited by Barnack

23 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Sony also expected TASM 2 to make $1 Billion so falling far short of those expectations definitely dented their confidence. 

https://variety.com/2014/film/news/spider-man-2-facing-formidable-foes-at-foreign-box-office-1201157653/

Just how big does “Spider-Man 2,” directed by Marc Webb and starring Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone, need to be? Pascal, who declined to be interviewed, has set a goal of $1 billion worldwide, say sources

That some impressively level of vague sources.

In reality Sony expectation were

At Greenlight time: $850m (300m dbo / 550m intl)

At annual budget time: $865m (315m / 550m)

About 1 month before release the Sony forecast from world tacking was almost exactly what happened between 695m and 710m

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1