sfran43

Tuesday's Numbers (IW 23.5) page 2

58 minutes ago, fmpro said:

Both BP and The Avengers had wedensday which was around 25% (1/4) of its sunday. 

They dropped 45-50%

AoU and CW was 18-21%(1/5) and dropped 59,5%

So

18+ Tomorrow will mean 45-48% 2nd weekend drop

17-17,5ish could indicate 50-52% 

14 and were looking at 60% drop

lets hope @Rthanos will drop a early number tomorrow

I'm guessing about a 33.5% drop today for a 15.56m Wednesday and Thursday will drop about 10% for $14,000,605.

Casual reminder that one year ago, the big Marvel Film to kick off the summer season was GOTG Vol. 2 - with a 146M Opening. Infinity War's second weekend will probably come close to that.

Just mind-boggling. The second weekend of a movie could potentially match the Opening weekend of the big summer starter from last year:ohmygod:

• Astonished 1

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

I imagine that it is such an event, that the amount of people seeing it that would have been seeing it anyway getting a rebate does not make up for the gained audience because of a rebate (i.e. for the avengers type, theater would not have to offer any kind of rebate the first 5 or 7 days without loosing much sales)

That's true. Has anyone calculated approximately how much a film has to increase in admissions on Discount Tuesday to stay flat from Monday? 

17 minutes ago, Marek the Jedi said:

not sure if this was already posted somewhere here....

31671426_1879089562142636_10648542696492

It was! Notice it's a studio thing now so it's basically marketing, the good intention is gone.

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

It was! Notice it's a studio thing now so it's basically marketing, the good intention is gone.

Of course heads of studios and producers are incapable of good intentions unlike certain directors who can't be bothered to even pretend to have good intentions.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

That's a really sad way of looking at it. Movies don't just come out of thin air. These people still put a lot of work and love into them.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Of course heads of studios and producers are incapable of good intentions unlike certain directors who can't be bothered to even pretend to have good intentions.

Everybody in the film business is an evil bastard...except for James Cameron, he is as pure as the driven snow.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It was much more endearing when it was a director to director, mind you could the opening weekend handovers always been a studio thing? It's possible that the Kathleen did it from good will alone but it's far more possible that it was because it's a little bit of easy marketing you can't miss out on. I'm not trusting of big companies and history is on my side, I assume everything they do s for the ultimate goal of making more profit.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, aabattery said:

That's a really sad way of looking at it. Movies don't just come out of thin air. These people still put a lot of work and love into them.

Not to mention I suspect that Kennedy and Feige probably have a pretty good working relationship at Disney.

RUmor has it that after Feige saw a rough cut of the 2016 Fantastic Four movie (which as head of Marvel film division he had contractual rights to do) he warned Kennedy that she did probably did not want to let Josh Trank near a Star Wars film.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

It was much more endearing when it was a director to director, mind you could the opening weekend handovers always been a studio thing? It's possible that the Kathleen did it from good will alone but it's far more possible that it was because it's a little bit of easy marketing you can't miss out on. I'm not trusting of big companies and history is on my side, I assume everything they do s for the ultimate goal of making more profit.

Yep, like making 4 more Avatar films.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I consider this little “passing of the baton” to be especially meaningless and hollow.  In the context of Star Wars the brand and story, it makes no sense.  They write their most beloved characters in such a way that they throw away light sabers.  They don’t like or respect their own mythology, fans or material.

Huge difference between the MCU and Star Wars right now.  One is showing incredible respect to the source material, the other is interested in (some form of?) deconstruction of its source material.  And I think that’s being extremely charitable.

11 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I think you are seeing humans as to rational here, that picture is targeting an already "conquered audience" (who care about it that would have not seen the movie and now will.....)

A lot of what people do is what to project their worth to the group, to sell themselves. That public note (instead of a phone call) studio/director do is a good way to projects to others that you are able to be happy for others success, same team, everyone boat rise with the tide, not a sore looser type (irrelevant if any of this is true, you want to show that this is the case, specially if the person beating you is a friend like Lucas/Spielberg were or now Jurassic World/Star Wars/Marvel crew all being linked a lot together in some ways).

Most of what is said/shown by someone is a way to express/elevate is social standing among the group, by demonstrating that he possess skills/well seen by the groups values/knowledge and so on or to demonstrate for which team he play in an ostensible way (solidarity/fidelity toward the group).

Doing that type of thank you accomplish both at a very small price and does not require any expected monetary gain to be made.

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I think you are seeing humans as to rational here, that picture is targeting an already "conquered audience" (who care about it that would have not seen the movie and now will.....)

A lot of what people do is what to project their worth to the group, to sell themselves. That public note (instead of a phone call) studio/director do is a good way to projects to others that you are able to be happy for others success, same team, everyone boat rise with the tide, not a sore looser type (irrelevant if any of this is true, you want to show that this is the case, specially if the person beating you is a friend like Lucas/Spielberg were or now Jurassic World/Star Wars/Marvel crew all being linked a lot together in some ways).

Most of what is said/shown by someone is a way to express/elevate is social standing among the group, by demonstrating that he possess skills/well seen by the groups values/knowledge and so on or to demonstrate for which team he play in an ostensible way (solidarity/fidelity toward the group).

Doing that type of thank you accomplish both at a very small price and does not require any expected monetary gain to be made.

I would argue it's spreading the word that it's a record holder and that's it's super hot, so I wouldn't say it's targeting a "conquered audience"

I agree with the rest though, perhaps this is so trivial that it's not a business decision rather just Kathleen trying to look good.