sfran43

Tuesday's Numbers (IW 23.5) page 2

16 minutes ago, AJG said:

Just noticed that Panther needs $15m more to become the 8th highest grossing film WW.

15 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

I hope it gets there but it'll be close. Might just barely miss it. OS seems to be at a crawl right now. 

It just need about 7 million actually. It is at 1334.5m while DH2 is at 1341.5m million. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

It just need about 7 million actually. It is at 1334.5m while DH2 is at 1341.5m million. 

Great, then it'll be in the top ten even after Avengers 4 is out... only to be knocked off by Lion King. Guess it's fitting that a lion beats a panther.

3 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Great, then it'll be in the top ten even after Avengers 4 is out... only to be knocked off by Lion King. Guess it's fitting that a lion beats a panther.

Although I think its chances are getting slimmer, I wouldn't rule out JW2 passing BP WW. The first grossed $1.672 billion, so it would need a drop of around 20% to beat BP. I'd definitely bet on BP winning at this point unless China just explodes. 

1 minute ago, KP1025 said:

Although I think its chances are getting slimmer, I wouldn't rule out JW2 passing BP WW. The first grossed $1.672 billion, so it would need a drop of around 20% to beat BP. I'd definitely bet on BP winning at this point unless China just explodes. 

I have Jurassic World at about 1.25B. It'll be interesting to track its BO since I feel like it's a micro example of the Avatar effect; big movie that doesn't accumulate much of a visible fanbase. Now that it's actually getting a sequel in a reasonable timespan, I'm curious how it will do. 

• Like 1

@Chewy Someone should find the posts from 2012 where we are arguing about their being no discount Tuesdays in 2008.... seriously we are to point now where apparently we cant remember box office history and it repeats (there was an argument in the weekend thread about no discount Tuesdays in 2015 of all years....) 

Discount Tuesdays have existed since late 2008 / early 2009 started to really notice the trend in 2009 with the rise of 3D (and no discounts on those tickets). Obviously the use of such discounts has only increased over the last 5 years, let alone decade but they definitely existed in 2012 because I saw Avengers that way via Cinemarks $5 tuesday program. 

• Like 4

To put it one way:

On Friday (true Friday), Infinity War was at 108% of The Avengers.

Saturday: 118%

Sunday: 121%

Monday: 131%

Tuesday: 132%

Every day that has passed has it outperforming The Avengers more than the last.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Obviously the use of such discounts has only increased over the last 5 years, let alone decade but they definitely existed in 2012 because I saw Avengers that way via Cinemarks $5 tuesday program. 

Indeed. The chart for May 8, 2012 shows there was a significant Discount Tuesday boost for most movies, even if the Avengers didn't benefit from it.

1 (1) The Avengers Walt Disney $17,677,190 -6% 4,349 $4,065   $244,014,897 5
2 (2) Think Like a Man Sony Pictures $709,358 +9% 2,010 $353   $74,498,641 19
3 (3) The Five-Year Engagement Universal $676,430 +44% 2,941 $230   $20,280,005 12
4 (5) The Lucky One Warner Bros. $588,365 +40% 3,005 $196   $48,782,426 19
5 (4) The Hunger Games Lionsgate $535,331 +26% 2,794 $192   $381,574,650 47
6 (7) Safe Lionsgate $377,155 +42% 2,271 $166   $13,723,001 12
7 (6) The Pirates! Band of Misfits Sony Pictures $357,256 +31% 3,358 $106   $19,295,118 12
8 (8) The Raven Relativity $343,944 +30% 2,209 $156   $12,784,228 12
9 (9) Chimpanzee Walt Disney $248,080 +30% 1,531 $162   $23,540,211 19
10 (10) The Cabin in the Woods Lionsgate $209,995 +18% 1,669 $126   $38,406,474 26
  • Like 2

Wrinkle in time is playing in a raelly funny way (without the same black panther explanation)

Friday the 20th april: +50.3%

Last friday mojo say it lost 44% of is theater and yet made a + 565.5% boost and posting strange number since.

Is this the most extreme double feature in drive in or something like that boost we ever seen ? Or there is some holiday currently ?

10 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Indeed. The chart for May 8, 2012 shows there was a significant Discount Tuesday boost for most movies, even if the Avengers didn't benefit from it.

I imagine that it is such an event, that the amount of people seeing it that would have been seeing it anyway getting a rebate does not make up for the gained audience because of a rebate (i.e. for the avengers type, theater would not have to offer any kind of rebate the first 5 or 7 days without loosing much sales)

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

BoxOfficePro is predicting $111M (BP #s) for  IW 2nd weekend...

People need to start reading what @Shawn actually is writing it. 

Avengers: Infinity War is set to easily lead the box office again this weekend coming off its all-time record opening of $257.7 million. The Marvel epic has amassed $305.8 million in its first five days of release, standing as the second highest five-day total in history behind only Star Wars: The Force Awakens‘ $325.4 million.

As Infinity War continues to build more piles of cash for Disney and Marvel, the film is on course for one of the best second weekends in history. Force Awakens‘ record $149.2 million is probably off the table, but Black Panther‘s runner-up $111.7 million is within reach.

It’s important to keep in mind, though, that Marvel sequels — as with most franchises — are typically more frontloaded than origin stories. For example, both Iron Man sequels, Avengers: Age of Ultron, and Captain America: Civil War each dropped more than 58 percent in their respective second weekends. A similar drop for Infinity War would lead to a (still incredible) second frame slightly below Panther‘s.

On the optimistic end, Thor: Ragnarok (-53.5 percent) holds the lowest second weekend drop among the MCU’s direct sequels. Marvel’s first Avengers film notably dropped just 50.3 percent in its second weekend six years ago.

Ultimately, Infinity War has shown early signs of slightly stronger holding power than predecessors like Civil War and Age of Ultron, so it remains to be seen how long-term performance balances out against the limited micro trends we’ve seen in early days thus far. Monday attendance marked clear indicators of spillover business from the weekend, which muddies the waters in terms of extrapolating how midweek business will then lead into Friday. The film’s cliffhanging nature could also deter the kind of strong repeat family business that drove films like Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and Avengers 1.

Our current Infinity War models project a second weekend range between $104 million and $128 million.

And I say that it will go over Shawn's predictions and defy TFA's 2nd weekend record, and it'll be close. I agree that it's unlikely that Infinity War will top TFA's second weekend, but it's not off the table. 

• Like 1

Just now, sfran43 said:

BoxOfficePro is predicting $111M (BP #s) for  IW 2nd weekend...

Am I the only one who thinks that's lowballing it? I suppose it really, really depends on today's number. The Thursday number should be relatively flat and the Friday number will likely be about double the Thursday number.

Wednesday: $17.5M

Thursday: $17.0M

Friday: $34.3M

Saturday: $56.7M

Sunday: $38.0M

Weekend: $129M

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, narniadis said:

@Chewy Someone should find the posts from 2012 where we are arguing about their being no discount Tuesdays in 2008.... seriously we are to point now where apparently we cant remember box office history and it repeats (there was an argument in the weekend thread about no discount Tuesdays in 2015 of all years....) 

Discount Tuesdays have existed since late 2008 / early 2009 started to really notice the trend in 2009 with the rise of 3D (and no discounts on those tickets). Obviously the use of such discounts has only increased over the last 5 years, let alone decade but they definitely existed in 2012 because I saw Avengers that way via Cinemarks $5 tuesday program. 

I know they existed but they weren't as culturally relevant or well-known, compare the Tuesday increases to those today. Double or even triple. Apologies for being unclear

• Like 1