Sheikh

Weekend Thread | Avengers 2nd Weekend - 114.774 only a 21.5% drop on Sunday

Are we really sure that IW was deflated by Saturday festivities? I know about Cinco de Mayo and a lot of grad parties, but... damn. I mean, how else do you explain the stunning Sunday hold?

Also, its probably gonna have a 30% drop next Sunday due to Mother's Day, so IW better hope that the Fri and Sat business is big :lol:

36 minutes ago, Giesi said:

Damn, TFA‘s domestic 2nd weekend record won‘t be broken for a looooong time.

You pretty much need X-mas on a Friday to break the record imo.

I'm a little late to the party on this one, but here goes:

Another great weekend for Avengers, even if it didn't quite soar to the bullish $120+ million heights BOM pegged it at after the Friday numbers rolled in. It held up better than Age of Ultron and Civil War, and it has the added benefit of not really facing much competition next weekend. With how huge it has been thus far, scoring that extra week of breathing room ahead of Deadpool 2 (and then Solo) was an excellent move on Disney's part. As far as its future prospects are concerned, next weekend's hold should give us a stronger idea as to whether it will finish north or south of the $700 million milestone - and Black Panther, by extension.

Overboard posted very strong numbers in its relatively modest wide release. It wasn't as strong per-location as last year's Eugenio Derbez vehicle, How to Be a Latin Lover, but it clearly still found its target audience.

A Quiet Place held up very well yet again. Next week should yield another strong hold, and it should be in line for around or over $180 million if it can weather the two big blockbusters set for release later this month.

I Feel Pretty stabilized after last weekend's somewhat rough drop. I would say that Mother's Day could be very kind to it next weekend, but it's going to have major competition on that front, so we'll see.

Rampage also stabilized nicely this weekend, though that nasty drop last weekend dashed its chances at surpassing $100 million domestically.

Tully had a weak debut, but it was always going to be a tough sell as an early summer dramedy, even with the strong reviews working in its favor.

Black Panther continues to chug toward $700 million, though the Blu-Ray release next Tuesday will present a major challenge. I'm guessing Disney will end up fudging it rather generously when Solo hits screens over Memorial Day weekend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Finnick said:

$37.5M  yesterday  (Sunday) According to Deadline and $115.5M Weekend,

http://deadline.com/2018/05/avengers-infinity-war-second-weekend-box-office-overboard-tully-bad-samaritan-1202382713/

Been away for a while, seen IW 3 times and like it more every time. It is now my favorite Marvel movie.

Apocalypse canceled for the 3rd time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

15 minutes ago, Finnick said:

http://deadline.com/2018/05/avengers-infinity-war-second-weekend-box-office-overboard-tully-bad-samaritan-1202382713/

Been away for a while, seen IW 3 times and like it more every time. It is now my favorite Marvel movie.

115?  That’s only 4 more million than BP. Not numbers that us fans were hoping for.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

20 minutes ago, Finnick said:

Welcome back! I missed your daily numbers update. @sfran43 been stepping up to the task even more during your absence lol.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sam said:

Welcome back! I missed your daily numbers update. @sfran43 been stepping up to the task even more during your absence lol.

@sfran43's speed of posting tweets is absolutely nuts. I saw a tweet regarding AIW from boxoffice.com and thought of posting here. He had already posted it and it had 4 likes on it as well :ohmygod:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

That's a great Sunday number! Really, the only thing disappointing about the weekend was the Saturday jump. The jump, not the number. The number itself is huge, just not as big as I would have thought relative to the Friday number.

Edited by JB33