Sheikh

Weekend Thread | Avengers 2nd Weekend - 114.774 only a 21.5% drop on Sunday

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

19% Sunday hold is insane. Another rollercoaster weekend for IW. Is every weekend gonna be like this for it? I mean hey, if it keeps coming out looking so good by Monday, then fine by me. Very confident in 700+ again. 

Looks like Cinco de Mayo activities hurt the Saturday gross. If you give it 60-65% Saturday increase like Panther and other recent MCU films, the Sunday drop looks pretty normal. Very similar to the boxing match with Ultron's first Saturday. "Insane" 9% Sunday drop for Ultron was really just a normal Sunday after a very deflated Saturday.

• Like 3

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

Looks like Cinco de Mayo activities hurt the Saturday gross. If you give it 60-65% Saturday increase like Panther and other recent MCU films, the Sunday drop looks pretty normal. Very similar to the boxing match with Ultron's first Saturday. "Insane" 9% Sunday drop for Ultron was really just a normal Sunday after a very deflated Saturday.

I never knew CDM affected box office though, and no one even brought that idea up until just now. 

Next weekend will be interesting, solely because of Mother's Day :lol:. And because of that insane Sunday hold, it could mean that the Monday drop is bigger. But who knows. 

3 minutes ago, The Mad Titan said:

Black Panther’s 2nd Monday was $8.1 million. TA1’s was $7.9m

I’m gonna need $9 million today to prevent a meltdown. 

Is 8.9M going to be enough...for a meltdown? :lol:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Very confident in 700+ again.

Avengers made 2.42 times it's second weekend in legs, that would push Infinity war at 731.6m if it's second weekend is 115m.

Avengers legs were great too and got summer days during the end of it's run.

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I never knew CDM affected box office though, and no one even brought that idea up until just now. 

As pointed out before it's hard to get comps because so many big movies have opened the first week of May so other movies are getting slammed anyway. -

Considering the Hispanic population accounts for 25% of usual ticket sales even if if the holiday only impacts 20% of them -  that's 5% of the movie going population.

• Like 2

Just now, TalismanRing said:

As pointed out before it's hard to get comps because so many big movies have opened the first week of May so other movies are getting slammed anyway. -

Considering the Hispanic population accounts for 25% of usual ticket sales even if if the holiday only impacts 20% of them -  that's 5% of the movie going population.

This is why I think we're going to see a Nova movie sooner than later. Black Panther's gamechanging success makes Sam Alexander a no brainer with the massive Latino demo. 

• Like 1

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Yep, it's hard to compare the past on this topic. Last time Cinco de Mayo landed on Saturday was 2012 during Avengers 1's opening weekend. That's an impossible comparison due to the frontloading on Friday and also it seems like the MCU Saturday jumps have gotten stronger in more recent years compared to 2012.

Ultron's second Saturday jump was 59%, Civil War's second Saturday jump was 63%,  and Panther's second Saturday jump was 65%. Infinity War at 48% definitely makes you wonder if Cinco de Mayo hurt it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I think this is probably the first time where you can make that argument. 2012 was the last time CDM landed on a Saturday, and Avengers only dropped 18% on Sunday, but that can easily be attributed to spillover, especially since CDM happend on IW's second weekend. I guess Think Like a Man had a muted Saturday, but that was probably due to Avengers than CDM, especially since its Sunday drop was typical. Hunger Games still shot up a decent 49% on Saturday and only dropped 50% from a week ago, and had a typical Sunday drop.

I guess since CDM was on Guardians 2's opening day, that helped its Saturday to only drop 8.5%?

12 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Maybe it will actually help? Toss-up either way. I think $60m for 3rd weekend is very doable.

AOU dropped 33% on MD with the next w/e at 32.4%.  Avengers - 27.9% while next w/e was 28.7%   Both on 2nd w/es - seems negligible except Avengers had a high low 70s% drop on Monday than it's usual mid 60s while AOU's Monday drop was the same low 70s

AOU dropped 50% on it's 3rd w/e but was up against 2 movies that totaled $115m.   AIW will have less than 30% of that competition.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1