Sheikh

Weekend Thread | Avengers 2nd Weekend - 114.774 only a 21.5% drop on Sunday

Just now, edmkh said:

The next Star Wars JJ Abrams movie will do it. IMHO he is the key plus Star Wars Brand plus the end of a trilogie plus Christmas legs (Boom: Second weekend record broked)

Hell to the no. I'm not even convinced IX will open to Civil War numbers at the moment. Marketing campaign is gonna have to be about 5x better than TLJ's was to sustain a 200+ OW. No resting on their brand name this time. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Don't try to come to reason with that profile ... it's a "one person-two profiles" case.

The original profile is IronJimbo who gets worried whenever a real threat to Cameron's Avatar comes out and floods the threads with tears and whines and bizarre arguments.

When that threat is gone and the threaten one is the other Cameron big movie, Titanic, then uses the second profile, GraceRandolph, to try to discredit the menace with posts like the ones we are seeing today. 

I just hope IW makes it past Titanic ww, so the existence of GraceRandolph in these forums will be no longer required. #markmywords

Off your rocker as usual

• Like 4

3 hours ago, edmkh said:

The next Star Wars JJ Abrams movie will do it. IMHO he is the key plus Star Wars Brand plus the end of a trilogie plus Christmas legs (Boom: Second weekend record broked)

Unless they do something to bring Luke back or get some major marketing gimmick to the film, the next SW won't do anywhere near TFA.  I think it can beat TLJ but not close to TFA.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Don't try to come to reason with that profile ... it's a "one person-two profiles" case.

The original profile is IronJimbo who gets worried whenever a real threat to Cameron's Avatar comes out and floods the threads with tears and whines and bizarre arguments.

When that threat is gone and the threaten one is the other Cameron big movie, Titanic, then uses the second profile, GraceRandolph, to try to discredit the menace with posts like the ones we are seeing today. 

I just hope IW makes it past Titanic ww, so the existence of GraceRandolph in these forums will be no longer required. #markmywords

Double accounts aren't allowed here.  If he was GraceRandolph, we'd know about it by now.

So lighten up Francis.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

Just now, baumer said:

Unless they do something to bring Luke back or get some major marketing gimmick to the film

Crossover with the Guardians :Venom:

• Like 1

Just now, Daxtreme said:

Beating TFA's 2nd week-end would require Darth Vader returning as a Force Ghost imo

Without that, they're not tying the 3 trilogies together = not maximum BO potential

I think he will do whatever he needs to to "save" the franchise to stratopherics numbers again.

LIVE FROM PANDORA..............

Image result for James Cameron gif

:lol:

Meltdowns happen yet?, lol.   All Jokes Aside.   That drop is about where I had it in the Thursday Thread.  I also notice there were a few others that felt a 55% + could happen.  It's playing like a Marvel Sequel.  It seems Monday-Tues definitely handled the spillover demand.  The Whole Universe saw it OW.  BP is probably safe domestically with this drop.  IW has about 11 more days before it's legs will get challenged.   DP2 and Solo are both tracking for fantastic openings.   2.4x gets it to 616 and under TLJ and A1.  2.5x gets it to about 642 but still under JW and Titanic.   So it's gonna need about 2.6 (668) to get into the Top 5 Domestically.   2.7x (693) is actually where BP is at right now.  

Worldwide, it's doing amazing.  Marvel has done a great job building up the brand globally.   BP with another Godly Hold.   It clearly has more gas in the tank and is definitely benefiting for Avengers being out though the Home Video Release is this week.   The New Comers were DOA though they all had manageable budgets.  I remember "Overboard" from the 80's with Goldie and Kurt.   It actually adjust to about 60 Million Domestic.  So the Remake will make more raw dollars but fall short on tickets sold.  Looks like Ram could leg it's way pass 100.   Again AQP has nothing more to prove. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, REC said:

Your numbers are just insane, as is anyone else who claims this will make sub-1b minus China OS.

It's already done 713m OS, without China, after 12 days of release.  It's going way past your 900m, and its going past 1b.  It will keep going.  And that's not even counting China, where 4-500m is easily in play.  You are massively low balling it's OS gross.  As well as the Dom gross.

I really wonder if you guys are paying attention to what's happening with this movie.

And your zero-sum game when it comes to entertainment consumption, that's just not how this works.  Others have tried to point that out to you.  If there are 2 or 3 must-see movies going on at the same time, believe it or not people will go see those 2 or 3 movies.  If something doesn't have legs it's because of it's own merits.

The same thing can be said for video games, streaming video, or any general entertainment product.

Also the idea that Solo will be cutting off anyone's legs (under any circumstances) is ludicrous.  Solo has to prove its own worth in the market, we'll see what kind of movie it ends up being.  There are reasons to think it might do well.  There are also reasons to believe it will be the lowest grossing SW movie ever.

Don't try it. That @GraceRandolph profile is here to undermine any Disney property menacing Titanic's ww gross (since it's dom has already been vilified by TFA and BP, and soon by IW, TLK, Avengers 4 ... i do not include Avatar, since GraceRandolph is one-half of a full one obsessed with Cameron ... we all know which profile is the other half). Note that GraceRandolph just cares about IW not reaching 2.1B ww , what could mean a menace for Titanic #2 ww. 

@GraceRandolph is to Titanic what @IronJimbo is to Avatar. And both of them are the same obsessed with James Cameron

• Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, edmkh said:

I think he will do whatever he needs to to "save" the franchise to stratopherics numbers again.

*JJ Abrams strikes jesus pose*

3 hours ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Don't try it. That @GraceRandolph profile is here to undermine any Disney property menacing Titanic's ww gross (since it's dom has already been vilified by TFA and BP, and soon by IW, TLK, Avengers 4 ... i do not include Avatar, since GraceRandolph is one-half of a full one obsessed with Cameron ... we all know which profile is the other half). Note that GraceRandolph just cares about IW not reaching 2.1B ww , what could mean a menace for Titanic #2 ww. 

@GraceRandolph is to Titanic what @IronJimbo is to Avatar. And both of them are the same obsessed with James Cameron

There's nothing wrong with someone not wanting a film to pass another film.  We do it with sports all the time too.  We don't want (insert team here) to win another championship because that would give them more than (insert team here).  I'd suggest to lay off this narrative that Jimbo and Grace are the same people.  They aren't.  Period.  End of story.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, NoLegMan said:

If we have a 12-13 mill Monday, I will die laughing.

That would be huge, no doubt.  It looks like Monday, if you go by history, will be at about 10 million.

Just to show well IW is doing per expectations before OW and how much the huge OW skewed expectations, here are the predictions from the pre-summer game

OW - Average 239.4

Domestic Total - Average 615

Worldwide - Average 1.65b

Infinity War will blow past these predictions. Its only after that massive opening that people sort of went crazy with predictions. 

• Like 6

IW is basically locked to pass all of the Avengers films by the end of next weekend maybe a few days later. It's doing better than it's previous films seems like it's doing fine.

1 hour ago, Thrylos 7 said:

You can bail out, the post credit scene is nothing special and I speak as a marvel loonie .

You must not really be a Marvel “loonie” then. Please stick around for the credits. 

• Like 1