kayumanggi

AVENGERS ENDGAME | 1939.4 M overseas ● 2797.8 M worldwide

Just now, Chucky said:

Ok so endgame sold more tickets in places like Brazil but Brazilian box office attendance has increased from 112m in 2009 to 181m in 2017 (over 50%) so selling more tickets there comes down to an expansive market.

There are so many complex factors to count into all of that, so it's basically impossible to say which movie really is the most successful of all time, because movies like Gone with the Wind were gigantic partly due to multiple rereleases but overall they were. Considering that inflation, ER, growing markets etc, distribution of gross and admissions are varying constantly, which is why the general consensus is to take unadjusted biggest grosser in dollar to determine the most successful movie (and in the backhand look at admissions) and in the former barely in the later by quite a margin Endgame is the biggest movie.

Avatar in Brazil did about 9.2M or so, that means ticket numbers for Endgame are 100+% higher than for Avatar.

5 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I paid 14€ for Avatar in 3D, and something under 12€ for AEG (forgot, between 11.2€ and 11.9€, I have to search for the ticket remains)

Didn't watch Avatar in cinema and paid €8.5 for Endgame.

2 minutes ago, Chucky said:

Ok so endgame seems to be killing admission wise in places where the market has expanded over the last 10 years, I guess that would make sense then. I mention this because I've seen alot of posts pointing out Avatars advantages back in 2009 but there seemed to be alot of ignorance when it comes to Endgame's advantages today in this market 

Yeah, both have advantages and just because Endgame is slightly higher that doesn't make Avatar disappointing in any way.

Avatar money wise just hit it big in the right markets and that were the in general richer ones were ATP is high.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chucky said:

Ok so endgame sold more tickets in places like Brazil but Brazilian box office attendance has increased from 112m in 2009 to 181m in 2017 (over 50%) so selling more tickets there comes down to an expansive market.

And? I mean it still sold more tickets.

• Like 2

Just now, Taruseth said:

Didn't watch Avatar in cinema and paid €8.5 for Endgame.

I watched it in the midnight screenings in one of the more expensive cinemas.

That was the last midnight thing for me, its many hours to drive, parking space,... for no reactions of ppl I trust beforehand.

13 minutes ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

And? I mean it still sold more tickets.

Yeah that's fair enough and I'm glad some were able to explain how but those who were around a few days ago know my main point was Avatar's run being the more impressive given the circumstances. It's like saying AOU's gross is more impressive than Spider-Man 2001 because it sold more tickets in all these expanded markets yo

• Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, Chucky said:

You’re telling us that the movie which sold 100m more tickets did it in part because more tickets are sold now than a decade ago? This is a shock, an outrage! How could nobody have thought of that before!? 🤣

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Chucky said:

Ok so endgame seems to be killing admission wise in places where the market has expanded over the last 10 years, I guess that would make sense then

Admissions of Avatar were less than half of Titanic in India. Endgame beat Titanic admissions here. 

Same in case of Brazil.

• Like 7

So EG will be surpassed in admissions by TS4 in Mexico and possibly by Aladdin in SK (two of its strongest performances from the major markets). I wonder how long it retains the top spot in Brazil. Did it end up at #1 in any of the other Top 20 markets?

14 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

So EG will be surpassed in admissions by TS4 in Mexico and possibly by Aladdin in SK (two of its strongest performances from the major markets). I wonder how long it retains the top spot in Brazil. Did it end up at #1 in any of the other Top 20 markets?

I don't think any other movie can take EG crown from Brazil. It's a very super hero loving country. EG created a record for admission so it will be a long time. 

1 hour ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Admissions of Avatar were less than half of Titanic in India. Endgame beat Titanic admissions here. 

Same in case of Brazil.

Isn't it expansion of Hollywood movies which Endgame has taken advantage of though? It was only a few years ago the Hollywood market share there doubled. Much like China, Hollywood have found a way to widen their release in the market where-as before they could only be released in DCI theatres. Hollywood moves there have had a huge increase since 2009. The top 7 highest grossing Hollywood movies in India have all been in the last 6 years.

So are all these huge ticket increases over Avatar coming from these expanding markets? Because everything I've read so far indicates that

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Chucky said:

So are all these huge ticket increases over Avatar coming from these expanding markets?

Yeah, pretty much the huge admission increase is from markets that have expanded. Isn’t that obvious? What else would you expect, huge admission advantage in stagnant markets and flat in developing markets???

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Jiffy said:

In 1997, Brazil only had 1200+ cinemas with estimated 70m+ moviegoers in a year.

Titanic attracted 17.7m audience , that was a quarter of the annual total moviegoers.

Today, Brazil has 3300+ cinemas across the country with 160m+ people going into cinema a year. Yet, many blockbusters still struggle to top 10m admission. 

Just to give you an illustration of how massive of Titanic was in a way smaller market size back then. 

20 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

In 1997, Brazil only had 1200+ cinemas with estimated 70m+ moviegoers in a year.

Titanic attracted 17.7m audience , that was a quarter of the annual total moviegoers.

Today, Brazil has 3300+ cinemas across the country with 160m+ people going into cinema a year. Yet, many blockbusters still struggle to top 10m admission. 

Just to give you an illustration of how massive of Titanic was in a way smaller market size back then. 

Oh my god we get it, you love Titanic.

• Like 2

One thing that's very interesting and certainly in contrast to the average blockbuster is that the 3 biggest films of the last 30 years are all longer than two and a half hours.

Titanic 194 minutes

Endgame 181 minutes

The notion that audiences don't have the required attention span for longer than 100 minutes is just a myth. The ability for the aforementioned films to immerse their audiences into their respective Worlds is far more important than the running time. Most films simply don't go all-in in their conviction to tell a story. Whether it's a budget issue, studio meddling, unrealized ideas, or something else, it's peculiar how many films have been butchered to oblivion just so they can be packaged under 2 hours and yet, the true Mega Blockbusters are sprawling and feel just as their creators imagined them.

• Like 5