kayumanggi

AVENGERS ENDGAME | 1939.4 M overseas ● 2797.8 M worldwide

20 hours ago, Permanent Magnet said:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

tumblr_p78fh9IHGA1tctq75o6_400.gif

Avatar UK gross- £94m ($147m) 1.601 exchange rage

UK box office inflation has increased 32% since 2009, heres a link..

https://www.cinemauk.org.uk/the-industry/facts-and-figures/uk-cinema-industry-economics-and-turnover/average-ticket-price/

So Avatars UK adjusted gross is £125m and with today exchange rate of 1.24 that gives it a gross of $155m

That's an increase pal

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I can assure you, here write also people who, like me, didn't like AEG and love Avatar... and still do not share your POV about BO. And have literally decades of BO following experience (me as an example started to follow BO in the '70)

= maybe its your POV that is a bit cut to match? I do not mean the whole post, but some little parts of the conclusions / details seem a bit not based on a complex POV

Hmmm joined yesterday... an alt again? $2b the new $1b and such, who was it that wrote like that again?

Then explain to me which parts of my post you disagree with? 2b being the new 1b stems from the fact only 4 movies had managed to top 1b when Avatar was released, much like today where only 4 movies have managed to make 2b when Endgame was released (and 39 movies have now topped 1b). I cant see how anyone who tracks box office as much as you guys fail to see how much more welcoming the market is today for massive grosses

5 minutes ago, GOATPeterJackson said:

99+ percent of the population doesn't care about inflation/ER and simply knows that Endgame is #1. The semantics matter to almost no one.

Most of the population couldnt care less let's face it and those that do read things already think Endgame topped Avatar 2 months ago (according to my new feed atleast) the semantics matter to no-one except maybe people that write religiously on a box office site? If you don't discuss these things then why have a site in the first place? Just view box office mojo once a week

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Alexdube said:
1 Avatar Fox $57,778,619

2008 before Avatar:

1 The Dark Knight WB $20,156,555
2 Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa PPI $16,949,456 12/12
3 Kung Fu Panda PPI $16,379,155 7/4

GODDAMN how much is a 3d ticket in Brazil?

If that's not a dominant performance, I don't know what is

You know what movie also came out before avatar? Ice Age 3 

Brazil Fox 7/1/09 $4,557,572 10% $45,373,371

And guess what: It beats avatar in admissions. So yes, goddam the 3d. 

A Era do Gelo 3 2009 9 281 202

5 hours ago, Agafin said:

Avatar ended up at #1 (in lc and US$) in most Latin american countries in 2009, that's not remotely "weak." Ice Age did surpass it in some countries (or most, if you use admissions) but that's also going to happen this year with Endgame and Toy Story 4 and no one would consider Endgame's latin american performance as weak. This territory is just extremely friendly to animation.

Then the Endgame European and Japanese performances aren't weak either. 

Edited by salvador-232
  • Like 3

Don’t be too harsh on @Chucky. He’s just doing his part for our new missions ‘Endgame OS thread page numbers over Endgame Weekend thread page numbers’.

I’m glad we have someone like chucky who sacrificed his time to make some posts about one if not the most debatable topics in this thread in order to accomplish the mission. I hope you could join him too , doing your part just and creating a new interesting topic just like what Chucky did. Together we can. 

Thank you , Chucky.

the office crying GIF

• Haha 7
  • Knock It Off 1

6 minutes ago, Claudio said:

Don’t be too harsh on @Chucky. He’s just doing his part for our new missions ‘Endgame OS thread page numbers over Endgame Weekend thread page numbers’.

I’m glad we have someone like chucky who sacrificed his time to make some posts about one if not the most debatable topics in this thread in order to accomplish the mission. I hope you could join him too , doing your part just and creating a new interesting topic just like what Chucky did. Together we can. 

Thank you , Chucky.

the office crying GIF

Yep, only 51 pgs to go. Couple of more alts by JCS should suffice.:ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Chucky said:

Avatar UK gross- £94m ($147m) 1.601 exchange rage

UK box office inflation has increased 32% since 2009, heres a link..

https://www.cinemauk.org.uk/the-industry/facts-and-figures/uk-cinema-industry-economics-and-turnover/average-ticket-price/

So Avatars UK adjusted gross is £125m and with today exchange rate of 1.24 that gives it a gross of $155m

That's an increase pal

You can't just apply inflation on the movie and ignore other variables, you are now assuming that Avatar in 2019 (with increased competition and , streaming services and most importantly the less popularity of 3D) will sell same amount of admission and not only that but the 3D ticket price of Avatar will have the same price as it was in 2009 (and if you don't know Avatar ticket was more expensive than the average ticket, specially in EU)

• Like 1

I knew that a lot of people would have a hard time accepting Avatar going down but the level of ridiculously desperate  excuse making is certainly eye opening.

Avatar sold 110+ million tickets less than Titanic, then sold 100 million tickets less than Endgame.  I love how being sandwiched between two films selling 100 million more tickets is getting completely ignored because it doesn't fit the narrative.

Avatar had all the advantages over Titanic that Endgame supposedly has over Avatar and yet it sold 110+ million tickets less. Not to mention that the gimmick with which it made it's money would never fly today. I love that Avatar's selling point of 3D and CGI would have the exact same effect in 2019 where TV shows like GOT have better CGI nowadays and 3D is all but dead. 

The arguments are now boiling down to the same nonsense a boxing/MMA P4P list would do. You would compare a 135 pound fighter with Mike Tyson and claim that if his relative speed and power carried proportionally to 225 pounds he would be better. Which makes perfect sense....in an Ant Man movie. The 135 pounder would lose all of his speed advantage when he packs 70 pounds on a 5'6 frame, the ability to take a shot would go down the drain, and his power would be silly compared to an actual Heavyweight. ''He would also be 6'1 in this scenario'' Aaaaa ok, so now a 5'6, 135 pounder would become 6'1, 225 AND retain all the advantages he would have as a small fighter.

That's what Avatar's rebels (Save The Dream!) are doing. Having all of the pros of 2009, and there are a LOT of them, including a ridiculous ER (Endgame would have made $3,5B with it) coupled with all of the pros of 2019 (like a bigger China market) but having none of the cons that 2019 would bring.

The reality is simple....Endgame made more money despite having a a lot worse ER and it sold 100 million more tickets. Take China out and it's still over 60 million more tickets. Everything else is sour grapes. 

sqmljs.gif

b48c92.gif

126bmuf.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 10

19 hours ago, Agafin said:

This is an interesting chart but I don't think it does that (the part in bold). The argentine number (among others) shows that you can't dissociate ER from inflation.

It is not that difficult to understand that correlation between  ER and inflation, people simply ignore that fact. Price aren't that resilient, they are quite reactive to macro-economics environment in the faster pace nowadays.

People just want exaggerate or undermine every single factor when they found out that factor is in favour or against them.

Like Titanic to me, I honestly don't think that Titanic will get its adjusted inflation of more than 3.2b-3.4b even if it released with today's ticket price because I fully aware that people just like to discount modern day blockbuster achievement with inflation, e.g someone sit in Forbes. The impact of inflation just got exaggerated like the impact ER in this thread. 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

20 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

It is not that difficult to understand that correlation between  ER and inflation, people simply ignore that fact. Price aren't that resilient, they are quite reactive to macro-economics environment in the faster pace nowadays.

People just want exaggerate or undermine every single factor when they found out that factor is in favour or against them.

Like Titanic to me, I honestly don't think that Titanic will get its adjusted inflation of more than 3.2b-3.4b even if it released with today's ticket price because I fully aware that people just like to discount modern day blockbuster achievement with inflation, e.g someone sit in Forbes. The impact of inflation just got exaggerated like the impact ER in this thread. 

If Titanic only gets 3.2B today, Avatar doesn't get 2.7

I think the biggest advantage for avatar wasn't the good ER.

The point is  avatar was a movie that you should watch in cinema in 3D.

So high 3D share , around 80 % with much higher ticket price.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, infamous5445 said:

I feel like I missed out on the Titanic craze. I regret being a youngster.

I was 14 when Titanic was out and it also missed me completely. I liked armageddon, something about mary and other movies more and have seen titanic in 2002-4 on tv first time and maybe once after that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Claudio said:

Thank you , Chucky.

the office crying GIF

You're welcome 

1 hour ago, Permanent Magnet said:

You can't just apply inflation on the movie and ignore other variables, you are now assuming that Avatar in 2019 (with increased competition and , streaming services and most importantly the less popularity of 3D) will sell same amount of admission and not only that but the 3D ticket price of Avatar will have the same price as it was in 2009 (and if you don't know Avatar ticket was more expensive than the average ticket, specially in EU)

Sherlock and Alvin offered far stiffer competition for Avatar than Endgame had in its first few weekends

In the UK the 3d ticket price for avatar was cheaper than a 2d ticket price today. My Endgame ticket was around £9.90 for standard 2d. I just checked and to watch Lion King in 3d its £12.10. That's much higher than the 3d surcharge of 2009. I agree the average ticket price was higher compared to other movies in its year but that's due to it being ideal for that format, it was still alot cheaper than today so ignoring inflation makes no sense. 3d was also declining before Gravity enjoyed a healthy 3d share proving people will still pay the premium if its worthwhile.

Its hard to argue that streaming devices and illegal downloads effect big CGI driven blockbusters, especially when we see just how big movies can become. you can bring up those variables and I can bring up how social media has become a marketing beast since 2009 boosting WOM and awareness for movies today. Theres always variables to consider. It just makes sense not to ignore obvious disadvantages Avatar has against movies today.

3 hours ago, Claudio said:

Don’t be too harsh on

As I am never a record hunter (my reason for being into BO is another one than the most here seem to have) I prefer levelled and complex posts to simply adding to the 1000-times repeats of the same not levelled / complex reasoned posts we got here already way too much.

Not happy about what might happen here if people really try to get additional ~ 50 pages to reach some record or whatnot