kayumanggi

AVENGERS ENDGAME | 1939.4 M overseas ● 2797.8 M worldwide

16 minutes ago, Permanent Magnet said:

Wait, was TLK their second chance at the record:hahaha:

No, I mean that bad reviews could potentially hurt the box office of The Lion King and even potential sequels, and that means it’s bad for Disney as a company.

26 minutes ago, Zatt Hawkguy Murdock said:

No, I mean that bad reviews could potentially hurt the box office of The Lion King and even potential sequels, and that means it’s bad for Disney as a company.

you put wait too much value on this, you shouldnt

• Haha 1

Just now, Zatt Hawkguy Murdock said:

Huh. We are on a box office message board. 

It would be great press either way, even better for Disney if The Lion King is a bit disappointing with its performance. 

Edited by Doctor Stark

2 minutes ago, Zatt Hawkguy Murdock said:

Huh. We are on a box office message board. 

you didnt understand my point, my point wasnt that you shouldnt care for the reviews, but that you shouldnt change your predictions completly bc the critics didnt like it as much, recent example is aladdin, if audiences like/love the lion king, then the affect will be minimal in the long run, that was my point

Just now, Zatt Hawkguy Murdock said:

How it would be better for Disney if the performance of TLK is a bit disappointing?

It wouldn’t be, that was poor wording. I meant the passing Avatar news would be even better than before because it would distract from a "disappointment" for Disney. Instead of just being good press, it also helps people ignore an "underperformance" by The Lion King. It would be better for them if the movie did super well, but the passing Avatar news can be an even greater tool for Disney if The Lion King disappoints.

• Like 1

Just now, john2000 said:

you didnt understand my point, my point wasnt that you shouldnt care for the reviews, but that you shouldnt change your predictions completly bc the critics didnt like it as much, recent example is aladdin, if audiences like/love the lion king, then the affect will be minimal in the long run, that was my point

That’s not how this works. Yes Aladdin is an unmitigated success, and audiences clearly embrace it over the critics, you are definitely correct on that. But the effects - however mild - of the lackluster reviews will be felt. I don’t see how TLK miss $1B, but after these reviews I’d be surprised if it makes to $1.5B, let alone over Titanic like some box office clubs that were made on the main board. 

It’s a shame because Jon Favreau is a great director and I wish this had succeeded critically for him as well. The critics seem specially harsh on the "lack of vision" part. I have no doubt that The Lion King will make money, but not as much as it potentially could. 

8 minutes ago, Doctor Stark said:

It wouldn’t be, that was poor wording. I meant the passing Avatar news would be even better than before because it would distract from a "disappointment" for Disney. Instead of just being good press, it also helps people ignore an "underperformance" by The Lion King. It would be better for them if the movie did super well, but the passing Avatar news can be an even greater tool for Disney if The Lion King disappoints.

Sure, got you.

1 minute ago, Zatt Hawkguy Murdock said:

That’s not how this works. Yes Aladdin is an unmitigated success, and audiences clearly embrace it over the critics, you are definitely correct on that. But the effects - however mild - of the lackluster reviews will be felt. I don’t see how TLK miss $1B, but after these reviews I’d be surprised if it makes to $1.5B, let alone over Titanic like some box office clubs that were made on the main board. 

It’s a shame because Jon Favreau is a great director and I wish this had succeeded critically for him as well. The critics seem specially harsh on the "lack of vision" part. I have no doubt that The Lion King will make money, but not as much as it potentially could. 

again my point was that the affect, from critics review will NOT worth 500 million dollars

1 minute ago, john2000 said:

again my point was that the affect, from critics review will NOT worth 500 million dollars

It’s not just about the critics tho. If the critics are being harsh, there is a reason for that. That hurts box office legs, no two ways around that. Sure there are instances like Aladdin that put that to check, but Aladdin would far even better with better critical acclaim. I’m not saying that it won’t happen the same that it’s happening with Aladdin: it’s definitely likely to gross more than Aladdin. But the question is: by how much? 

1 minute ago, Zatt Hawkguy Murdock said:

It’s not just about the critics tho. If the critics are being harsh, there is a reason for that. That hurts box office legs, no two ways around that. Sure there are instances like Aladdin that put that to check, but Aladdin would far even better with better critical acclaim. I’m not saying that it won’t happen the same that it’s happening with Aladdin: it’s definitely likely to gross more than Aladdin. But the question is: by how much? 

Depends. For example one big critical complaint is that Lion King doesn't deviate much from the original. I'd argue that's more likely to help WOM/box office than it is to hurt. Your point about the critical reception is generally correct but there are some exceptions.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, a2k said:
    Movie Distributor Gross Change Thtrs. Per Thtr. Total Gross Days
1 (1) Spider-Man: Far From Home Sony Pictures $9,250,000 -39% 4,634 $1,996   $220,325,421 9
- (2) Toy Story 4 Walt Disney $4,305,709 -35% 4,540 $948   $321,273,472 20
- (3) Annabelle Comes Home Warner Bros. $1,201,246 -33% 3,613 $332   $54,107,002 15
- (5) Aladdin Walt Disney $1,103,436 -32% 2,758 $400   $324,443,289 48
- (8) Men in Black: International Sony Pictures $500,000 -30% 2,716 $184   $73,819,958 27
- (9) Avengers: Endgame Walt Disney $384,327 -24% 1,985 $194   $849,153,234 76
- (10) Rocketman Paramount Pictures $305,123 -21% 1,409 $217   $89,982,181 41
- (13) Godzilla: King of the Monsters Warner Bros. $113,077 -25% 721 $157   $108,641,374 41
- (-) Pavarotti CBS Films $70,518 +1% 250 $282   $3,171,032 34
- (14) Shaft Warner Bros. $66,127 -37% 439 $151   $20,325,476 27
- (15) Dark Phoenix 20th Century Fox $54,065 -34% 426 $127   $64,836,778 34
- (-) Pokémon: Detective Pikachu Warner Bros. $39,235 -16% 247 $159   $143,188,079 62
- (-) The Other Side of Heaven 2:… ArtAffects $30,478 -50% 179 $170   $1,098,063 13
- (-) Dumbo Walt Disney $10,035 -15% 103 $97   $114,577,921 104
- (-) Shazam! Warner Bros. $8,204 -8% 104 $79   $140,230,073 97

Great hold for Avengers: Endgame’s Wednesday. I think Charlie was saying $300k with his riddle yesterday? Either way, that’s a -38,5% drop from last Wednesday, which was already inflated by the July 4th holiday.

42 minutes ago, Moses said:

What are the expected number of theaters for EG this weekend?

At first I thought that $2m was unrealistic after a $3.012m weekend. Now I kinda think $1.7-2m is possible.

$350k Thu

$480k Fri

$780k Sat

$520k Sun

$1.78m weekend.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zatt Hawkguy Murdock said:

So much for losing all theaters after July 11. That's a pretty fucking decent theater gold for weekend 11.

Didn’t you heard? Disney is pulling the movie out from theaters for no reason.

• Haha 3