The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

1 hour ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

I mean to be fair, these forums are like 70% male (and the industry as a whole produced a lot of male-centric films up until recently),

However I wouldn’t say GOTF, The Last Jedi, Gravity, Singin in the Rain, The Princess Bride or Before Sunrise are testosterone heavy films.

I kinda have to disagree on Princess Bride. I used to love that movie, and parts of it are still fantastic. But I saw it a few years ago with my daughters and realized that Buttercup does *nothing* in that movie. I mean, seriously, there are 2 female characters, and Miracle Max's wife has more personality and zest than Buttercup does. She's basically there to be pretty and get saved.

• Like 3

spike-lee-banner.jpg

Number 79

Do the Right Thing (1989)

Universal Pictures, Directed by Spike Lee (50 Points, 11 Votes)

tumblr_ofvg951NYz1s80h8lo1_500.jpg

"Wake up! Wake up! Up you wake!"

Top 5 Placements: 2

Top 10 Placements: 4

Top 25 Placements: 5

Previous Rankings: 2016 (94, +15), 2014 (Unranked), 2013 (88, +9), 2012 (Unranked)

Awards Count: Nominated for 2 Oscars

Tomatometer: 93% (8.9 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 27.5m (63.6m Adjusted)

Synopsis: On the hottest day of the year on a street in the Bedford-Stuyvesant section of Brooklyn, everyone's hate and bigotry smolders and builds until it explodes into violence.

Critic Opinion: "``Do The Right Thing`` clearly has been made by someone who enjoys using film to tell more than just a story. This is a sumptuous work, from its unconventional title sequence of a woman dancing hard in the streets to its provocative ending with conflicting quotes from Malcolm X and Martin Luther King Jr.

The subject is racism in America, and ``Do the Right Thing`` turns out to be a spiritual documentary that shows racial joy, hatred and confusion at every turn. Taking place during one long, sweltering day and night in Brooklyn, the film is based on incidents of racial violence that have plagued New York City of late. An Italian restaurant owner finds himself in conflict with some of his black clientele. Rude behavior leads to excessive police force, which leads to a riot and to destruction of property.

This might sound like a depressing story, but the level of performance and filmmaking is so high that ``Do the Right Thing`` becomes a most entertaining warning." - Gene Siskel

User Opinion: "Brilliant, morally complex, and fascinating movie. Can't believe it took me this long to see it. Truly important and great movie." - @Cmasterclay

"Really good film. Well directed. A very important film for everyone to see " - @Dexter

Commentary: Spike Lee makes it onto the list with his explosive racial commentary, Do the Right Thing.  Do the Right Thing manages to blend together both drama and comedy in a way that provokes laughter, rage and social commentary.  While Spike Lee intends to do this with most of his films, Do the Right Thing manages to hit this mark in a more direct way than many of his other films.  The 11 voters who put this movie on their lists rated it highly, placing it just outside of their top 25 on average, and it was seen on around 18% of the lists submitted.

Decade Count: 80s (5), 10s (4), '00s (4), 90s (3), 70s (2), 40s (2), 60s (1), 50s (1)

Director Count: Richard Linklater (2), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), James Cameron (1), Frank Capra (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), John McTiernan (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Roman Polanski (1), Rob Reiner (1), Gus van Sant (1), Martin Scorsese (1), Ridley Scott (1), Isao Takahata (1), Orson Welles (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (3), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), James Cameron (1), Monty Python (1), Star Wars (1), Studio Ghibli (1), Alien and Predator (1)

Genre Count: Drama (7), Sci-Fi (5), Adventure (4), Epic (4), Fantasy (4), Crime/Noir (4), Thriller (4), Action (3), Period Piece (2), Western (2), Tragedy (2), Family/Children (2), Comedy (2), Animation (1), Musical (1), War (1), Bio-Pic (1), Romance (1), Christmas (1), Remake (1), Horror (1)

Screen-Shot-2014-01-26-at-8.20.59-PM.png

• Like 17
  • Astonished 1

DTTR is  outside my top 100.  But it's a great film.  Hopefully my Spike Lee pick makes it on here.

Oh and killer soundtrack.  Can never go wrong with Public Enemy

Edited by DAR
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Number 82

It's a Wonderful Life (1946)

Liberty Films, Directed by Frank Capra (49 Points, 13 Votes)

YAAAAAAS!!

I adore It's A Wonderful Life.  I wish I had ranked it higher now.

George Bailey is a god damn superhero.  I feel it's a movie you appreciate more with age.  I remember being a teenager wanting to get the fuck out of town, having big dreams of taking the world by storm.  Unlike George, I did get out.  And it was good.  But I ultimately made my way back to my hometown -- where I work selling real estate with my mom (just like she did, when she worked with my grandfather building houses).      

At every closing for one of our new construction homes, we re-enact the Home Warming scene between the Baileys and the Martinis.  That's how much the movie means to me.

Also!  Fun Fact!  This movie was a box office flop went it first came out.  It was overlooked until the 1970s when NBC/Universal acquired the rights, and started showing it every Christmas.

1 hour ago, LonePirate said:

This list is very testosterone heavy so far. I’m losing all hope that someone else voted for my female empowerment trio of Basic Instinct, 9 to 5 and Jackie Brown. 

9 To 5 made my list, but I only gave it one point.  You have to play to your audience.  I knew that type of movie wouldn't make the list, so I didn't rank it any higher.  The only one I Hail Mary'd was The Birdcage - that received 9 points and my #2 spot. (Which, makes me wonder if that's the movie Panda talked about that scored 9 points.)  I saw the whole thing more as a rank choice voting assignment.  Once I got my 100 movies, I combed through to figure out which ones needed the most points to make the list and then ranked them from there.

• Like 4

c03b1461821757a58196c6501a1a1c7b-la-la-l

Number 78

La La Land (2016)

Lionsgate Films, Directed by Damien Chazelle (50 Points, 13 Votes)

c357f35893da2da727df6d1bb81a6d41.jpg

"People love what other people are passionate about.:

Top 5 Placements: 1

Top 25 Placements: 6

Previous Rankings: NEW

Awards Count: Won 6 Oscars, Did not win Best Picture

Tomatometer: 92% (8.7 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 151.1m (156.7m Adjusted)

Synopsis: While navigating their careers in Los Angeles, a pianist and an actress fall in love while attempting to reconcile their aspirations for the future.

Critic Opinion: "People say the movie musical is dead. Tell that that to your tapping toes while watching the enchantment of La La Land, one of the year’s best films.  Writer/director Damien Chazelle plunges us straight into his song-and-dance mindset from the film’s opening frames. On a traffic-clogged freeway in Los Angeles, bright young things exit their cars and begin to strut their stuff to composer Justin Hurwitz’s peppy original tune “Another Day of Sun.”

So far, so Broadway — but slow down for a second. Chazelle’s candy-coloured salute to L.A., the movies and chasing your dreams isn’t your standard Tinseltown tuner, where production numbers erupt every five minutes.  As he did with Whiplash, his similarly melodious previous picture, Chazelle takes time to count the cost of ambition and to ponder what really qualifies as a Hollywood ending. La La Land delights, like the Gene Kelly and Jacques Demy musicals it tips its hat to, but it’s also grounded in reality." - Peter Howell

User Opinion: "I jizzed all over that screen." - @Ethan Hunt

"Won tickets to see an advance screening for this tonight after eagerly anticipating it for months on end, and it completely lives up to the hype. Damien Chazelle has expanded on the promise he showed with Whiplash here, and in a way, La La Land feels like a natural follow-up with its themes of ambition. The movie is a marriage of color (the movie is a cinematography lover's wet dream), song, and fantasy that serves as a magical love letter to both Los Angeles and a time when Hollywood made movies they seldom do anymore while also very much creating a new classic of its own. This is very much a two-hander between Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone, and both actors are more than up to the challenge and deliver bonafide "movie star" performances that make Sebastian and Mia one of the more endearing movie couples in history. These two have so much chemistry with each other that it should be written into their contracts that they appear together in every movie they sign on for going forward. Gosling, continuing to show off his considerable charisma that has been mostly suppressed by the stoic parts he's taken on for the better part of the last several years, has probably never been better and proves surprisingly capable of carrying a tune. But the heart of La La Land is Stone, who has been a favorite of mine for years now, who gives Mia the vulnerability and likability that makes her easy to root for. The actress has never been more luminescent, and her final number ("Audition") recalls Jennifer Hudson's "And I Am Telling You, I'm Not Going" in Dreamgirls and Anne Hathaway's "I Dreamed a Dream" in Les Miserables in that this could very well be her ticket to an Oscar. This is a total crowdpleaser that will make all of the money, and I will definitely be seeing it at some point again over the holidays." - @filmlover

Commentary: Rocketing off to its debut on these lists, La La Land comes in as a pick from the younger crowd here at BOT.  While recency bias may have played a bit of a factor, it's safe to say La La Land is a modern classic in the making, as it's fueled with fun, memorable shots and music, and plenty of haters to stir up controversy.  The movie manages to blend both a conventional and unconventional style with its music and dance, which garnered some complaints as it's almost more of a deconstruction of a classic musical than an homage to the golden age musical.  La La Land was on around 26% of the lists that were submitted.

Decade Count: 80s (5), 10s (5), '00s (4), 90s (3), 70s (2), 40s (2), 60s (1), 50s (1)

Director Count: Richard Linklater (2), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), James Cameron (1), Frank Capra (1), Damien Chazelle (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), John McTiernan (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Roman Polanski (1), Rob Reiner (1), Gus van Sant (1), Martin Scorsese (1), Ridley Scott (1), Isao Takahata (1), Orson Welles (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (3), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), James Cameron (1), Monty Python (1), Star Wars (1), Studio Ghibli (1), Alien and Predator (1)

Genre Count: Drama (7), Sci-Fi (5), Adventure (4), Epic (4), Fantasy (4), Crime/Noir (4), Thriller (4), Action (3), Period Piece (2), Western (2), Tragedy (2), Family/Children (2), Comedy (2), Musical (2), Romance (2), Animation (1), War (1), Bio-Pic (1), Christmas (1), Remake (1), Horror (1)

sdfasd.png

Edited by Critically Acclaimed Panda
  • Like 14
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 3
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

Do The Right Thing was my #2 pick, probbly because of recency bias. I'm glad it's here,and I knew that I was kidding myself if I was hoping for it to be as high as the top ten or something of the sort.

• Like 1