CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

Just now, That One Guy said:

No more of this Beauty and the Beast "exclusively gay moment" garbage.

Just wait for Solo next week and the complete lack of acknowledgement in the movie of Lando's pansexuality mentioned by the writer in interviews.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

The only thing that is disappointing here is that it opens below our expectations. It has the second highest opening weekend ever for an R-rated movie and there's disappointment in here because as much as we all think that we know the box office, we really don't at times. I predicted this to open with 140 million. That probably wasn't realistic and seeing this drop by a small amount from the original is really not that surprising.

Tracking is to blame for that. Every outlet was indicating that 150 was a real possibility and that's what pushed everyone to come up with scenarios where that was possible. The last few months it seemed like tracking was consistently lower than results for big movies so it's pretty understandable imo

• Thanks 1

Just now, Nova said:

When it has the type of Friday to Saturday drop it has, it is. 

I give up. You of all people should be more optimistic. What to you Nova? You used to be someone I could trust?

So earlier this week, when I tried to outline why I thought Deadpool wasn't going to meet the over-optimistic expectations I explained it this way.

A - Comedy Sequel - which rarely do as well as their predecessors

B - lack of originality

C - Inflated OW for Deadpool #1

My argument was that Deadpool #1 was inflated by about 20m on it's 4-Day opening (so 130m 4-day instead of 150m.) And that anything over 130m would actually be an increase over a normal weekend / 4 day for the film.

Deadpool 2 is doing just fine. The data - just as with Solo next week - is all there to show that the film wasn't going to be busting out much higher (if at all) some of ya just chose to ignore it.

I swear if there was more logic and less emotion on this board the swings wouldn't be nearly so bad.

Now a broken clock is right twice a day - so I guess I used one of my times for the year (LOL)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Initial tracking was 100M+. The industry just overshot its chances a few days ago.

This was the initial tracking article: http://variety.com/2018/film/news/deadpool-2-tracking-predictions-ryan-reynolds-1202788499/

The Merc with a mouth is looking to serve up justice at the box office once again.

Deadpool 2,” the Ryan Reynolds-led sequel, is on pace to open to a huge $150 million in North America this summer, early tracking suggests. The superhero film isn’t bowing in theaters until May 18, but that number is already ahead of the original movie, which launched in February 2016 with $132 million domestically. It went on to earn $783 million worldwide, making it the highest grossing R-rated film of all time.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

This was the initial tracking article: http://variety.com/2018/film/news/deadpool-2-tracking-predictions-ryan-reynolds-1202788499/

The Merc with a mouth is looking to serve up justice at the box office once again.

Deadpool 2,” the Ryan Reynolds-led sequel, is on pace to open to a huge $150 million in North America this summer, early tracking suggests. The superhero film isn’t bowing in theaters until May 18, but that number is already ahead of the original movie, which launched in February 2016 with $132 million domestically. It went on to earn $783 million worldwide, making it the highest grossing R-rated film of all time.

Could've sworn the range started lower. I know 150M was brought up

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

Just now, baumer said:

I give up. You of all people should be more optimistic. What to you Nova? You used to be someone I could trust?

I was optimistic on it. But the preview to OD number came in. Then the Saturday number came in. I just don't see why it would have a 25% drop on Sunday when it hasn't had a good drop all weekend long. Like with any other film, we would be talking about a 30% drop if not more given the type of drops that DP2 has had this weekend.