CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

uhh since when has $125M been "low budget"

Since apparently only CBMs get big budgets. The Last Jedi looked great for it's apparent under 100 million budget. Same with Skull Island and Blade Runner: 2049

3 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Since apparently only CBMs get big budgets. The Last Jedi looked great for it's apparent under 100 million budget. Same with Skull Island and Blade Runner: 2049

Don't forget Ready Player One, King Arthur and Dunkirk 

• Like 1

Just now, harrycaul said:

Hollywood will make live-action cartoons until they run them into the ground.

That day will come. It always comes.

This is as it ever has been and as it ever shall be.

You mean like Star Wars?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

Don't forget Ready Player One, King Arthur and Dunkirk 

Dunkirk was 'only' made for 100 million or so, and let's assume Chris took a nice upfront for it :sparta:

Edited by MrPink

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I was wondering when we were gonna get to that "comic book movies are destroying other genres" stage. 

The ironic part is CBM movies have become every genre. Just in the last year you have your sci-fi space adventure with GotG2, your high school coming of age comedy with Homecoming, your zany buddy comedy with Ragnarok, your politically/socially charged drama with WW and BP, your big budget epic with IW, and now your raunchy adult satire with DP2.

And New Mutants was attempting to tick the horror box before it got delayed into oblivion. The only true "comic book movie" in genre in the past year has been JL. Maybe that's part of why it failed so hard. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I was wondering when we were gonna get to that "comic book movies are destroying other genres" stage. 

Here comes La Binoche

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Dunkirk was 'only' made for 100 million or so, and let's assume Chris took a nice upfront for it :sparta:

I knew the moment you quoted me that you were quoting me because of my Dunkirk comment :P

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

uhh since when has $125M been "low budget"

Off topic but after first Deadpool made that fortune off that budget which for spandex movies is super dollar store discount, I thought everybody else would go that route too because hey less money you spend, less you have to make back to break even.

and that’s not happened at all. 

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The ironic part is CBM movies have become every genre. Just in the last year you have your sci-fi space adventure with GotG2, your high school coming of age comedy with Homecoming, your zany buddy comedy with Ragnarok, your politically/socially charged drama with WW and BP, your big budget epic with IW, and now your raunchy adult satire with DP2.

And New Mutants was attempting to tick the horror box before it got delayed into oblivion. The only true "comic book movie" in genre in the past year has been JL. Maybe that's part of why it failed so hard. 

truly incredible range

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RRA said:

Off topic but after first Deadpool made that fortune off that budget which for spandex movies is super dollar store discount, I thought everybody else would go that route too because hey less money you spend, less you have to make back to break even.

and that’s not happened at all. 

Most of the comic book movies that have come out since have come from established universes that already had huge costs. Infinity War, in particular, was always gonna have a massive budget because of salaries alone. They probably saw the first Deadpool as an anomaly and that's it (a reasonable assumption after seeing that the sequel's looking at a sizeable decrease).

Edited by filmlover

Just now, filmlover said:

Most of the comic book movies that have come out since have come from established universes that already had huge costs. Infinity War, in particular, was always gonna have a massive budget because of salaries alone.

The only lower budget one on the horizon is probably Shazam. Think that might come in at Deadpool 2 budget numbers or lower.

12 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

More genre range than I'd imagine the 12 Avatar sequels will show. :redcapes:

4 sequels! Would you have preferred it if The Two Towers was a sci-fi comedy instead of a continuation of fellowship?  Avatar will be a saga for the ages, you laugh now but Jim always laughs last.

12 minutes ago, narniadis said:

If I ignored @IronJimbo I would lose half of the forums conversation about comic books.... 

I feel although if I didn't have comic books MCU to hate I would move on to something else, perhaps Nolan? To be honest MCU films aren't terrible they're mostly serviceable which is what makes them malicious, a formulaic assault on nostalgia.

time to sleep...

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Most of the comic book movies that have come out since have come from established universes that already had huge costs. Infinity War, in particular, was always gonna have a massive budget because of salaries alone. They probably saw the first Deadpool as an anomaly and that's it (a reasonable assumption after seeing that the sequel's looking at a sizeable decrease).

More like regarding MCU is we’re making a lot of money by what we’re doing, why fix something that’s not broken? Wrong or not, I get that.

But while watching DP2, I was reminded that DCEU has Gareth Evans booked to do DEATHSTROKE even if we haven’t heard anything about that since it was first reported. We all know DCEU has had issues with spending and making that money back, why not get Evans (who made some of the best action movies of this decade for not much money in Hollywood standards) to make a balls out R rated action film that you would sell on the action scenes, spend 70-100 million at most. 

I’ve been accused of being a DCEU hater, but that above I just pitched? I would think it would make money in his current global marketplace. Maybe not great money or even necessarily Deadpool money, but you make good profit.