CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

5 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

I will say the late night shows of DP2 near me look super packed so maybe this just plays to a later crowd.

I mean the 10:15 PM showing that was just added was sold out. Granted it's the smaller theater but still. The 10:45 PM showing that was recently added is 60% full. 

I feel like my theater should have had more later shows for this and less earlier shows 

But all this and nothing to show for it 

Edited by Nova

2 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Really sad I won't be here for the Solo meltdowns next week.

I'm gonna miss Incredibles 2 weekend...I don't think folks are as invested in the animated movies, but it has the chance to be a wild and wildly unexpected weekend in either direction, so I'm bummed missing the excitement...

35 minutes ago, harrycaul said:

The thing about Deadpool is there's no compelling reason to see it in a theater. It's just as funny at home.

Not for a lot of people, crowd laughing can make stuff much more funny, what is funny bar get lower with a crowd often.

Comedy is a genre that get a lot of advantage from a theater experience, but you need a crowded room. Same goes for jump scare horror, watching a movie like IT in a near 100% full theater is a different experience than at home.

Edited by Barnack

4 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

MCU sequels generally get a boost from having an Avengers film in-between instalments or an addition of a major supporting character to raise the anticipation levels. Even Ant-Man and the Wasp will get a decent boost partly because of Ant-Man's Civil War appearance. Just makes GOTG Vol 2's Opening Weekend the more impressive.

GOTG 2's opening weekend was always great. It had the opening weekend that people thought Iron Man 2 would have.

7 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

MCU sequels generally get a boost from having an Avengers film in-between instalments or an addition of a major supporting character to raise the anticipation levels. Even Ant-Man and the Wasp will get a decent boost partly because of Ant-Man's Civil War appearance. Just makes GOTG Vol 2's Opening Weekend the more impressive.

Yup that big jump was fully on is own first movie home video giant success.

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

I'm gonna miss Incredibles 2 weekend...I don't think folks are as invested in the animated movies, but it has the chance to be a wild and wildly unexpected weekend in either direction, so I'm bummed missing the excitement...

True, but Incredibles 2 is simultaneously a superhero movie and a long-awaited sequel to a movie that I'm guessing many people on this board loved (and from the ages of some of the posters here, it might even have been a beloved childhood staple), so I won't be surprised to see discussions turn passionate in that weekend thread.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Lol at the "rumors" of a $300m budget on Solo.  

I guess if "rumors" are defined as shit on this site posters completely made up.  

300+ is certainly accurate if you add in marketing though. Movie is not going to be making bank until a solid 700 WW. 

Oh man, the Iron Man 2 meltdowns back in the day were fun. We also never stopped giving poor Gopher shit for his "what went wrong" thread (at least over at Filmgasm) - to the point where he even made a few self-deprecating jokes about it. :lol:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

300+ is certainly accurate if you add in marketing though. Movie is not going to be making bank until a solid 700 WW. 

Solo is going over DP2 WW. It will have no problem going over 700m WW. 

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Well probably, but 300+ would not particularly big for a movie like that if you include world releasing cost, that Total Recall remake cost adjusted in 2018 dollar, that is much cheaper than a movie like Hancock ($334m in 2008, around $388m in today $).

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I still think Iron Man 2's opening weekend and legs were disappointing. 

Opening weekend was great, a solid 30 million over the first one. Legs are another matter but considering the movie's quality (fine but nothing exciting), it probably was as good as you could get.

Had no problem getting into this last night. Someone sat in my seat though (which doesn't happen often) and I was running late so that sucked. Didn't feel like saying anything so just sat a few seats down. Didn't effect my enjoyment of the film though.

Really curious how Solo does next week and think DP2 will play better with later audiences.

13 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Not for a lot of people, crowd laughing can make stuff much more funny, what is funny bar get lower with a crowd often.

Comedy is a genre that get a lot of advantage from a theater experience, but you need a crowded room. Same goes for jump scare horror, watching a movie like IT in a near 100% full theater is a different experience than at home.

I would have rather watched it at home rather then sit next to two teen girls who had their phones in their laps the entire time.

And as far as horror, yes when the crowd reactions are funny because jump scares do absolutely nothing for me. No, when it's a film like A Quiet Place that asks the audience to be silent and they still talk.