Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

2 minutes ago, Alli said:

Depp is a good actor. Too bad his personal life is overshadowing his talents. Now people say they never liked him and he's untalented. sad

Can you see Clooney, dicaprio doing sweeny todd? nah

I agree. It's a matter of taste of cource but ever since the shit happened it started being a common consensus that Depp is untalented. L M A O

• Like 1

i'll agree watching them back to back that boseman is better in Civil War than he is in Black Panther. in cw he's still got that regal quality but i dunno, cos he's grumpy his dad died there's more of an intense edge to it that makes him more interesting. he never feels as driven at any point in panther. he's just kinda there. also michael b jordan is still bad. 

Just now, BK007 said:

By any chance are you black? 

I would only take that paragraph seriously if you were. Otherwise it comes across as blacksplaining that because you think it represents values the community has, that it will last when it's still just a superhero movie within the Marvel universe. 

For as many risks that it took, it is still hemmed in and doesn't really do its themes justice. It does go a lot further than the superficial in Singer's X-Men and Wonder Woman, but I feel, if you're gonna compare it to A New Hope of all things, it would require a lot more freedom to create and express that being in the MCU does and did not allow it. 

I'm not blacksplaining. The themes are part of why it is so resonate, sure, but it's also a very well done, incredibly cool movie with great, memorable characters and worldbuilding. There's a reason it has outgrossed all movies except Star Wars and Avatar ever.

I know it'll get me killed on the boards this morning, but Black Panther is a better movie than Infinity War by far, themes completely aside. It has better characters, a better bad guy, better stakes, much better direction, great music, funnier jokes....everything about it is better. Agree to disagree, folks.

• Like 4

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

I'm not blacksplaining. The themes are part of why it is so resonate, sure, but it's also a very well done, incredibly cool movie with great, memorable characters and worldbuilding. There's a reason it has outgrossed all movies except Star Wars and Avatar ever.

I know it'll get me killed on the boards this morning, but Black Panther is a better movie than Infinity War by far, themes completely aside. It has better characters, a better bad guy, better stakes, much better direction, great music, funnier jokes....everything about it is better. Agree to disagree, folks.

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I knew most of IW's spoilers going in, and that movie still shook the hell out of me. BP's stakes felt like most other CBMs.

• Like 1

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I knew most of IW's spoilers going in, and that movie still shook the hell out of me. BP's stakes felt like most other CBMs.

Black Panther was about something real. Infinity War is the same old end of the world shit as all these movies. Stakes come from character, not MacGuffins.

4 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I agree. It's a matter of taste of cource but ever since the shit happened it started being a common consensus that Depp is untalented. L M A O

This revisionist history is weird.

And please i don't see people turning on Brad Pitt for what he did to his kid. Everybody is excited about his new movies.

The truth remains that Depp is the most talented A-list actor

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Agree to disagree yeah, but theres one thing we can all agree on where IW is just much better: The CGI.

The visual effects in BP sucked big time. They're atrocious for a movie with a 200M+ budget. Doesnt matter in the big picture because when a film is this good, something "minor" like the effects beeing bad can be ignored much easier, but yeah. IW has amazing CGI.

IW had no stakes?

I think it had more stakes than any comic book ever? 

Black Panther was great but I think we forget that it was a Royale Drama that has a storyline that could be found in many older films in mythological tales and etc. Its a great story but its not groundbreaking.

The characters involved were. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

14 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

My DEFINITIVE 2018 rankings:

Great:

1. Unsane

2. A Quiet Place

3. Avengers: Infinity War

4. Black Panther

5. Blockers

Very good:

6. Love, Simon

Good but pretty unmemorable/heavily flawed:

7. Isle of Dogs

8. Annihilation

9. Game Night

They exist and aren't boring, I guess:

10. Deadpool 2

11. The Commuter

EHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH:

12. Rampage

13. Red Sparrow

14. Ready Player One

Bad:

15. Breaking In

spoiler tagged cause it's a long list

Spoiler
  1. Annihilation
  2. Paddington 2
  3. Tully
  4. Unsane
  5. A Quiet Place
  6. Avengers: Infinity War
  7. Deadpool 2
  8. Ready Player One
  9. On Body and Soul
  10. Black Panther
  11. The Commuter
  12. Blockers
  13. Love, Simon
  14. The Director and the Jedi
  15. Game Night
  16. Maze Runner: The Death Cure
  17. Mom and Dad
  18. Isle of Dogs
  19. Red Sparrow
  20. Book Club
  21. Chris Rock: Tamborine
  22. Peter Rabbit
  23. Andre the Giant
  24. Gringo
  25. A Futile and Stupid Gesture
  26. Truth or Dare
  27. Kodachrome
  28. Paterno
  29. Solo: A Star Wars Story
  30. The Ritual
  31. Happy Anniversary
  32. Tomb Raider

33. The Cloverfield Paradox
  34. Golden Exits
  35. Overboard
  36. Early Man
  37. Insidious: The Last Key
  38. Pacific Rim Uprising
  39. Seth Rogen's Hilarity for Charity
  40. A Wrinkle in Time
  41. Breaking In
  42. Fifty Shades Freed
  43. Come Sunday
  44. Den of Thieves
  45. 6 Balloons
  46. 12 Strong
  47. Rampage
  48. I Feel Pretty
  49. Mute
  50. Life of the Party
  51. Proud Mary
  52. Winchester
  53. The Open House
  54. When We First Met
  55. The Outsider
  56. Game Over, Man!

• Astonished 2

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Can we  just appreciate for a moment though how IW's RT score is simply way too low, especially compared to its franchise? 

It's just like the best MCU movie: Guardians Vol. 2!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Both films are are an amazing achievement and nothing is gonna touch them for the rest for the year. 

Ant-Man and the Wasp coming for #1 DOM and WW to balance the universe

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Can we  just appreciate for a moment though how IW's RT score is simply way too low, especially compared to its franchise? 

i mean, it's fine. i can understand sorta complaining about large discrepancies like movies you love being rotten but when it's "this movie is at 83% when it should be at 91%!" who actually cares.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Higher grosses even record grosses doesn't mean something will be generational. 

I'd like it if people looked back at BP as the starting point or the catalyst for more and equal opportunities for non-English speaking whites, but as a movie, it leaves a lot to be desired. Infinity War, as good as it is, is really not a good comparison for being generational either anyway.

I'm not sure a single CBM would even be considered as such given that the comics they're based on have been around for decades. 

50 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Why not drop him? He's just bringing controversy and baggage. He's not a very good actor and he brings zero box office draw anymore. It's gonna hurt if anything! Why not just cut your losses? Cast like Mark Strong, he's always available.

He's not a very good actor and he brings zero box office draw anymore

People that know much more about those aspect than us seem to disagree, at least on one of them. Personally I disagree with you on both aspect, he is in the very good range and has still some box office draw potential in him, is Pirates just did 800m/Murder 350m, Black Mass opened at 22m not so long ago.

Other aspect would be a significant pay or play contract, must be costly to fire him and your are destructing your art (must hurt to have a recast on a film series).

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

i mean, it's fine. i can understand sorta complaining about large discrepancies like movies you love being rotten but when it's "this movie is at 83% when it should be at 91%!" who actually cares.

Lol, not saying it really matters. It's just hard to see something like Civil War and Doctor Strange way higher. I mean seriously, YUCK. 

1 hour ago, SpiritComix said:

BOT has become my favorite place to talk about movies all over the internet <3. Are there problems? Of course! But there are also many good things and unique moments, like the one below:

SOME MONTHS AGO...:hellothere:

"Its IMPOSSIBLE for IW to beat TLJ. its the most impossible thing ever."

I'm grateful that nobody made that bet with Jay... :sparta:

"0% chance" :rolleyes:

"Star Wars is obviously going to make more."

:jeb!:

THEN...

3 Black Panther BV $698,703,242 2018
4 Titanic Par. $659,363,944 1997^
5 Jurassic World Uni. $652,270,625 2015
6 Avengers: Infinity War BV $626,441,638 2018
7 Marvel's The Avengers BV $623,357,910 2012
8 Star Wars: The Last Jedi BV $620,181,382 2017

4 Avengers: Infinity War BV $1,909.4 $626.4 32.8% $1,283.0 67.2% 2018
5 Jurassic World Uni. $1,671.7 $652.3 39.0% $1,019.4 61.0% 2015
6 Marvel's The Avengers BV $1,518.8 $623.4 41.0% $895.5 59.0% 2012
7 Furious 7 Uni. $1,516.0 $353.0 23.3% $1,163.0 76.7% 2015
8 Avengers: Age of Ultron BV $1,405.4 $459.0 32.7% $946.4 67.3% 2015
9 Black Panther BV $1,344.7 $698.7 52.0% $646.0 48.0% 2018
10 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 WB $1,341.5 $381.0 28.4% $960.5 71.6% 2011
11 Star Wars: The Last Jedi BV $1,332.5 $620.2 46.5% $712.4 53.5% 2017

Not only Avengers: Infinity War but also Black Panther had a bigger box office than The Last Jedi, DOM and WW, HAHAHA!

Actually IW WW >>> TLJ WW + Solo WW

Thank you BOT! :hahaha:

The last 6 months have been bad for me as an SW fan and the entire fandom and brand.

- TLJ sucking out all the enthusiasm that many had for SW.

- The Star Wars fanbase Civil War

- Solo flopping hard

- BP and IW becoming much bigger hits and more beloved by audiences and their fanbases and easily surpassing SW as the top brand Globally handily.  

Edited by Lordmandeep