Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

Finally saw Solo.

It was hardly essential, but it was totally fun and deserved a better BO fate than its going to get. And while I was prepared to hate Ehrenreich, he totally grew on me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Cool, and I don't care for yours! Just ignore me. Stop posting dumb shit about me for no reason.

but you post dumb shit all the time :ph34r:

Edited by Lordmandeep

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

OK, let's talk about Solo and Star Wars again.

TLJ, Rian Johnson, Kathleen Kennedy, identity politics, covfefe.

Thoughts anyone? 

that covfefe shit is a full year old this week time is truly slipping away smh.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

what does that have to do with... huh?

Condescending rhetorical questions isn’t a wise way to win people over in your argument.

But I’ll play along: your pleading in the name of common sense is falling on deaf ears at my post. I called out that person for saying something trite. I’m sorry that...Nah, actually I’m not sorry that hurt feelings. 

Sometimes you gotta call out stuff for what it is. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Ant-Man and the Wasp coming for #1 DOM and WW to balance the universe

It is definitely coming for Top 5 😈

1 hour ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Obviously BP's performance in the states is amazing but I was quite surprised by how well it did overseas too. It shows that people don't give a fuck If it's a black or white protagonist If they find the movie appealing enough.

Smith and Eddy Murphy before him were often even better example (movie not being specially domestic heavy like BP was), the actual protagonist is not much of an issue I think.

What a black cast (that is seen as an issue for oversea sales) can often do in the eye of the oversea audience is to make it feel like a regional american movie, like when it is about baseball. I suspected it would not be an issue for Black Panther because the movie is not set in the US, does not have Americans characters and it Sci-fi anyway.

But was the subject matter of Hidden figures not appealing to oversea audience that explain that almost 80-20 extreme split ? Maybe, segregation/south/NASA all very american but for the NASA part very well known and often work well oversea, hard to know because so much of the all black cast movie tend to be very domestic appeal/story that is normal for it to play very domestic (Like Straight out of Compton) that people mix the regional appeal to the black cast factor in the oversea performance.

Domestic:  $169,607,287    71.9%
Foreign:  $66,349,611    28.1%

Worldwide:  $235,956,898  

When it is not an american story or if they put the eye of the international audience into the protagonist by being a fish out of the water in the us like Coming to America, you can have one of the biggest oversea box office and bigger than domestic with an almost all black cast since at least the late 80s:

Rank Movie Worldwide Box Office Domestic Box Office International Box Office Domestic
1 Rain Man $412,800,000 $172,825,435 $239,974,565 41.87%
2 Who Framed Roger Rabbit? $351,500,000 $154,112,492 $197,387,508 43.84%
3 Coming to America $288,800,000 $128,152,301 $160,647,699 44.37%
4 Crocodile Dundee 2 $239,606,210 $109,306,210 $130,300,000 45.62%
5 Twins $216,600,000 $111,936,388 $104,663,612 51.68%
6 Rambo III $188,715,611 $53,715,611 $135,000,000 28.46%

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 4

I've decided to casually stan for Ant-Man 2 even though I don't really like the first one just because it being huge will be really funny and Michelle Pfeiffer

• Like 3

Just now, FantasticBeasts said:

This week I watched A Quiet Place and The Wolf of Wall Street.

The latter was bad the former was very good except for the pregnancy thing that got me quite mad. :P 

Both had pregnant ladies assaulted iirc which is a random connection.

#waxcandle for the win

Just now, Chewy said:

I've decided to casually stan for Ant-Man 2 even though I don't really like the first one just because it being huge will be really funny and Michelle Pfeiffer

But why are they hiding her from the marketing though? 

14 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Lord of the Rings is so spectacular, it's amazing the Hobbit movies blew so bad. That said there is some weirrrrd stuff in Lord of the Rings. Like how the hell does Gandalf overhear Gollum being tortured in Mordor at the beginning? And why does he ride what we're told is like two years there and back to essentially read one library book? Gandalf is such a weirdo, man.

In th books, Gollum chased after Bilbo after he steals the ring and ventures too close ro Mordor where he gets captured and tortured where he reveals who stole the ring and about hobbits. After this he is released by Mordor but is captured by Gandalf and Aragorn and interrogated by them. He reveals to them all what he told to Sauron in Mordor. This is how Gandalf finds out that Sauron knows the ring is in the Shire and hurries to get to Shire. He leaves Gollum in care of the wood elves but he escapes. 

Also in the books Gandalf leaves the ring in the shire for a very long time. Many years. During this time he does a lot more than just find and read a book lol. He only returns to the shire when he finds out from gollum that Saueon knows where the ring is and is sending the Nazguls to get it

13 minutes ago, MrGamer said:

Did Gandalf ever explain how he and the Balrog went from a water cavern to a snowy mountain top? 

The fight lasted a long time and went from the cave to the top of the mountain. Although we are never told in details what happens in the fight

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Hot take: A Quiet Place was a goofy ass movie that thought it was way smarter than it actually was. Had some good sequences, though.

See, this is a backlash

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

OK, let's talk about Solo and Star Wars again.

TLJ, Rian Johnson, Kathleen Kennedy, identity politics, covfefe.

Thoughts anyone? 

Trump honnors fallen soldiers by congratulating himself. :mellow:

• Astonished 1

Just now, Chewy said:

I liked the first one but surely the sequel will be better? It should be anyway.

8 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Orcs don't exist and in both The LOTR & The Hobbit movies, they use something called special effects.

People seem to have a rubber fetish, god only knows why.

No idea what you are talking about now, but just so you know how terrible your takes are:

Best Makeup Peter Owen and Richard Taylor Won
Best Visual Effects Jim Rygiel, Randall William Cook, Richard Taylor and Mark Stetson Won
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1