baumer

Weekend Thread....Please read the staff announcement pg 104 (Solo 29.2...DP 23.3...Adrift 11.5)

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

None of which has to do with his bonkers idea that Disney thought the movie was bad pre-release and was trying to big it up with news of a fake trilogy. :lol:

In my view, TLJ is an objectively atrocious Star Wars film (there's no way it screen-tested as well as Disney would have liked) My claim is that even the people who defend it, do not really believe that it is a good movie, but not only are they lying to others, they are also lying to themselves as well. Is this too far-fetched? I say absolutely not! In matter of fact, the whole basis of psychoanalysis is that people lie to themselves constantly! I think that this is one such case. I remember my much younger self, that when The Phantom Menace came out, I was telling both others and myself that it was a great movie. My desire to have another great Star Wars movie, trumped any objective analysis, this happens exceedingly often with people. As for critics, please do allow me the suspicion that their motives can sometimes be suspect, not only in the very mundane and ever-present money/career sense, but also from a political standpoint etc etc etc..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

10 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

2.8 is a very solid number, I think we could see about 11.5 for the weekend for a 670-690 total. Fingers still crossed for TDK and Thunderball adjusted.        

Also, looks like it should be north of 1.05B for US+China to me, so between 2B and TFA for sure.

Avengers did $51.357m more after it's 6th w/e of $11.25m

AOU made another $32m after it's 5th w/e $11.4m

Avengers had a Labor Day expansion for a few million more that AIW most likely won't get. :(

But even if AIW starts dropping like AOU (and there's no reason it should)  it would hit $676m

Edited by TalismanRing

3 hours ago, MOVIEGUY said:

Lol so now even Carrie Fisher's untimely death is Rian Johnson's fault, okay.

Also I don't want to sound nasty to you baumer but I don't get what is up with butthurt SW nerds and the Knights of Ren. I'm more talking about this dude at my work who hates TLJ and every time he brings it up it's always "WHAT ABOUT THE KNIGHTS OF REN?" I had seriously forgot about them, weren't they in TFA for like half a second? I'm not saying it's not a legitimate complaint, I just don't get it at all.

tenor.gif?itemid=5740837

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PPZVGOS said:

In my view, TLJ is an objectively atrocious Star Wars film (there's no way it screen-tested as well as Disney would have liked) My claim is that even the people who defend it, do not really believe that it is a good movie, but not only are they lying to others, they are also lying to themselves as well. Is this too far-fetched? I say absolutely not! In matter of fact, the whole basis of psychoanalysis is that people lie to themselves constantly! I think that this is one such case. I remember my much younger self, that when The Phantom Menace came out, I was telling both others and myself that it was a great movie. My desire to have another great Star Wars movie, trumped any objective analysis, this happens exceedingly often with people. As for critics, please do allow me the suspicion that their motives can sometimes be suspect, not only in the very mundane and ever-present money/career sense, but also from a political standpoint etc etc etc..

does-not-compute.jpg

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

When would they have gone for a course correction?   

The only movie that's come out since then is Solo and it was made before TLJ came out and had it's own BTS issues that spilled over in the mainstream.

Solo may or may not have been a lost cause. It was way too troubled a production, but then again it's not really a bad movie.

My point is that people were disillusioned with TLJ, and LF did nothing to keep these fans. Instead they alienated them further.

4 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

This is an impossible sentence. I hope you know why.

2 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

I liked TLJ a lot. (Mostly for Rey/Kylo) Though I don't give a fuck about star wars lore or "respecting luke as a character" (luke has always been bland and boring to me) so I liked that his character was used to in a way that wasn't just some dumb 12 year old boys wish fulfillment. I wouldn't see it twice but it was a hell of a lot better than TFA which was a subpar retelling of an okay movie.

3 hours ago, John Marston said:

They should flat out re release Infinity War fi get it over 700m

I's going to be at about 642 after this weekend.  I don't really think it's going to come close enough to 700 that a rerelease is going to get it there.

17 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Where did you read the script for Episode IX?

In any case, judging a movie before one has even seen a teaser for it, just because of the director, is not helpul at all.

I’m judging a directors 20 year career not just his last movie Abrams just rips off those who did it first and usually better that’s his only trick look over his filmography and say I’m wrong

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

The mods need to go full DC on TLJ. These arguments are so fucking tiresome.

I agree.  I'm just as guilty as anyone else.

I'm going to make some breakfast, and come back in 10 minutes and unlock the thread.  

• Thanks 1