baumer

Weekend Thread....Please read the staff announcement pg 104 (Solo 29.2...DP 23.3...Adrift 11.5)

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Ok, but that doesn’t really matter considering how late into its run it is and the home video release having happened. Jumanji is a nearly perfect comp here. If you look at Jumanji’s 17th weekend, it was in a similar spot as BP this weekend in both gross and theater count. From then, it has only added 550k and will likely close any given weekend now. I’d say it was more kids skewing than BP too, which always helps late legs. BP needs to add about 900k after this weekend. And we’re heading into the heart of summer competition too. Can’t see any way it gets there without some form of fudge/help (whatever you want to call it) from Disney.

Jumanji already passed both 400m and Spider-Man at that point it had nothing to worry about. 

So then Black Panther in all likelihood will get some sort of help. Be it an expansion or a fudge with Incredibles or both. Whatever. 

• Community Manager
6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

interview with A vampire is all the proof you need that tom cruise >>>> brad pitt. pitt SUCKS in it and cruise is dynamite. maybe my second favourite cruise performance after magnolia.

Oh wow you just scorched Brad Pitt. 

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Jumanji already passed both 400m and Spider-Man at that point it had nothing to worry about. 

So then Black Panther in all likelihood will get some sort of help. Be it an expansion or a fudge with Incredibles or both. Whatever. 

Right, and I’m just saying I don’t really know if Disney will care enough for that. They still probably care more about WiT hitting 100 for the TV deal purposes and if Solo ends up needing the push for 200 they will care more about that too for the same reason. There is no real reward for them for BP hitting 700 on the other hand. If they did care about 700 so much, I’m guessing they would have delayed the home release. But hope I’m wrong and they do ensure it gets there since it’s going to suck hard if it came all that way to miss by 500k or less.

18 minutes ago, Nova said:

Quick question: why are there showtimes for Ocean's 8 on Wednesday? There's a theater by my that has 8PM showtimes on Wednesday. 

Some theaters are also starting Thursday previews at 4PM. I'm starting to feel like Captain Picard in regards to this shit

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Ok, but that doesn’t really matter considering how late into its run it is and the home video release having happened. Jumanji is a nearly perfect comp here. If you look at Jumanji’s 17th weekend, it was in a similar spot as BP this weekend in both gross and theater count. From then, it has only added 550k and will likely close any given weekend now. I’d say it was more kids skewing than BP too, which always helps late legs. BP needs to add about 900k after this weekend. And we’re heading into the heart of summer competition too. Can’t see any way it gets there without some form of fudge/help (whatever you want to call it) from Disney.

Unless BP deviates significantly from Disney's other live-action films, I'd say it probably has at most a month more in theaters before it gets pulled and tracking stops. Looking at a few recent examples of Disney's theatrical windows (from start to close date) for their non-animated films:

TLJ: 126 Days 

Thor 3: 133 Days

PotC 5: 119 Days

GotG2: 140 Days

BatB: 119 Days

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

I think it'd be hilarious if BP just petered out at 699.7 or something. 

Probably exactly what it will do on its own. Disney having WiT, IW, and Solo to push for double features with their upcoming release isn’t helping it any.

5 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Unless BP deviates significantly from Disney's other live-action films, I'd say it probably has at most a month more in theaters before it gets pulled and tracking stops. Looking at a few recent examples of Disney's theatrical windows (from start to close date) for their non-animated films:

TLJ: 126 Days 

Thor 3: 133 Days

PotC 5: 119 Days

GotG2: 140 Days

BatB: 119 Days

Impossible for it to make 900k in a month after it’s gross this weekend without a huge expansion/double features with I2. 

9 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Some theaters are also starting Thursday previews at 4PM. I'm starting to feel like Captain Picard in regards to this shit

giphy.gif

The fuck? Might as well just release it on Thursday. 

11 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

giphy.gif

Aren't a lot of theaters not even open by 4 PM on a Thursday? At that point it becomes a full day.

• Community Manager
12 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

They deserved that one.  Mostly because Upgrade is really good and creative, and Solo is not.

Solo is good but yes Upgrade is the best science fiction movie of the year so far.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
22 minutes ago, cookie said:

Aren't a lot of theaters not even open by 4 PM on a Thursday? At that point it becomes a full day.

What? Most theaters are open in the morning every day.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

What? Most theaters are open in the morning every day.

Guess it's different in the US because most theaters near me unless a big multiplex are only open from 5/6 PM on school days.

Edited by cookie