baumer

Weekend Thread....Please read the staff announcement pg 104 (Solo 29.2...DP 23.3...Adrift 11.5)

7 minutes ago, oMeriMombatti said:

20th Century Fox’s Deadpool 2, looks to come in around where we saw it with $23.6M, -46% for $254.9M. The point is, business is still strong for this R-rated superhero, and don’t think just because it’s R, it’s not stealing money away from Solo. Pic is on its way to $300M+ stateside, the first DP made $363M.

@Nova Trust Deadline. When were they ever wrong?

50 minutes ago, John Marston said:

biggets money losers in worldwide box office. Solo is getting ready to join the list

V5ZYL4wGJjAZKAnfmUvbhlU0pIa3A3Roz-S0ME6X

From the first trailer, you could have known that 15 or 16 of those would be outright bombs. 

The outstanding ones being Deepwater Horizon (Great movie), How Do You Know (bonkers decisions to pay the cast that much), Hugo (another one that costs a bomb) and the Promise- which I have not a clue what it is. 

You could argue that the Wolfman had some potential in its trailer or at least I don't think it was positioned to be a blockbuster like many of these flops. 

First Reformed is expanding ok, hoping for strong PTA holds over the next two weekends. If it makes over $5m maybe A24 will even deem it worthwhile to do some awards campaigning for it at the end of the year. It helps that they currently don't have any obvious potential awards darling scheduled for fall/winter.

11 minutes ago, oMeriMombatti said:

https://deadline.com/2018/06/shailene-woodley-adrift-solo-star-wars-story-action-point-weekend-box-office-1202401740/

20th Century Fox’s Deadpool 2, looks to come in around where we saw it with $23.6M, -46% for $254.9M. The point is, business is still strong for this R-rated superhero, and don’t think just because it’s R, it’s not stealing money away from SoloPic is on its way to $300M+ stateside, the first DP made $363M.

How much did a Disney exec pay Deadline for them to say DP2 is stealing money from Solo 

:sparta:

the odd are in favour of deadpool 2 of reaching 300m, with Ocean 8, female-oriented film coming up next and I would presume the incredible 2 would hurt IW more than DP2....someone please give me that 300m is back on menu GIF!

Edited by titanic2187

58 minutes ago, John Marston said:

biggets money losers in worldwide box office. Solo is getting ready to join the list

V5ZYL4wGJjAZKAnfmUvbhlU0pIa3A3Roz-S0ME6X

Is it bad to say I quite enjoy a few movies on that list 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Maybe I am finally starting to show my age because two of my favorite movies this summer are films mostly about women and one of them is a movie that has all octogenarians in it. The other one is about a young love and then surviving at sea after a hurricane destroys the boat. Now granted two of the other films I  love so far this summer are Deadpool and infinity Wars so I guess everything is perfectly balanced just the way it should be.

• Like 11

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

the odd are in favour of deadpool 2 of reaching 300m, with Ocean 8, female-oriented film coming up next and I would presume the incredible 2 would hurt IW more than DP2....someone please give me that 300m is back on menu GIF!

Maybe some families will think Deadpool is an Incredible and go see his movie when Incredibles 2 sells out :ph34r:

6 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

First Reformed is expanding ok, hoping for strong PTA holds over the next two weekends. If it makes over $5m maybe A24 will even deem it worthwhile to do some awards campaigning for it at the end of the year. It helps that they currently don't have any obvious potential awards darling scheduled for fall/winter.

Their biggest contenders waiting to get dates are Mid-90s (Jonah Hill's directorial debut which will likely get a November/December bow following a run at the festivals) and Native Son (which recently concluded filming and will likely be done in time for the fall festivals).

1 minute ago, DAR said:

Is it bad to say I quite enjoy a few movies on that list 

Nah. Hugo, Deepwater Horizon and John Carter are very much enjoyable for the right reasons.

Gods of Egypt as well. For all the wrong reasons.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Weren't you complaining yesterday that Solo was stealing money from DP2?  :lol:

No. I said Flopolo took its screens which caused it to miss $300M. That's not stealing. That's just blocking :ph34r:

Edited by Nova
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

How much did a Disney exec pay Deadline for them to say DP2 is stealing money from Solo 

:sparta:

Same amount they paid them for this glowing headline to the article on the deadline homepage? : "Post-Holiday Blues: ‘Solo’ In Free Fall With $28M+"

1 minute ago, Rumpot said:

Same amount they paid them for this glowing headline to the article on the deadline homepage? : "Post-Holiday Blues: ‘Solo’ In Free Fall With $28M+"

Disney reached its max for PR spin headlines on Solo. So they're going for the write ups instead :ph34r: