sfran43

Monday's Numbers

Day 18 update of the 2018 “Legs of the Year” battle between Book Club and I Can Only Imagine.

BC: 3.582

ICOI: 3.309

BC needs $5.682M to reach 4.000 and it needs $17.368M to pass ICOI (4.860 currently).

Edited by LonePirate
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

:hahaha:

It always amazes me that a movie can make so much money (compared to majority of movies that come out it IS a lot of money) and still be a flop. Studios should really work at budget management. With Jumanji 2s 90m budget, this would have been a hit.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sfran43 said:

Exactly! How have the studios not realized yet what a bad colab/combo Melissa and her husband makes with their movies?!

I would imagine they are fully aware, but why say no to their proposition as long as they make money ? I imagine they are not studio pitches, and them wanting to work together.

46 minutes ago, McNerdy said:

It always amazes me that a movie can make so much money (compared to majority of movies that come out it IS a lot of money) and still be a flop. Studios should really work at budget management. With Jumanji 2s 90m budget, this would have been a hit.

Solo was supposed to be a very high profile blockbuster film and part of one of the biggest franchises in the world. Nobody expected this to bomb, you have to invest money to earn money. A 90 million solo would barely look better than a TV movie. You win some, you loose some. Oh and solo is not making “that much money” , for 2018 standards , anyway.

• Like 2

Really nice drops all around. 

DP2 with a sexy 60% drop

BC kicking all kinds of derriere 

I saw Adrift for the second time today. Sold out the first show of the day. Mostly people my age. Tears from many of them. I asked a younger kid who is sitting next to me, he was 17, if you liked it and he said yes it was very well done. Then I asked an older couple sitting in front of me if they liked it and the woman shook her head and said no not really but her husband said yes he thought it was fantastic. So I have no idea what that all means LOL

hmm...  

Solo - 3 + 3.5 + 3 + 2.5 = 12 for weekdays, essentially 4.0 times Monday #.  Thursday previews should cut everything down -10%.

for this particular week, I am finding 4.0 x Monday looking pretty close + or - 10% for all the movies.  Except maybe Show Dogs.  I thought that would go down -70%.  Maybe it will course correct itself and dip down Tues + Weds and only get a 3.0 weekdays multiplier from Monday.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, baumer said:

DP2 with a sexy 60% drop

I saw Adrift for the second time today. Sold out the first show of the day. Mostly people my age. Tears from many of them. I asked a younger kid who is sitting next to me, he was 17, if you liked it and he said yes it was very well done. Then I asked an older couple sitting in front of me if they liked it and the woman shook her head and said no not really but her husband said yes he thought it was fantastic. So I have no idea what that all means LOL

Sitting down to watch it right now. Glad to see you say such good things about it as it's been on my radar for awhile.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GraceRandolph said:

IW barely did 1 million? Yikes. This does not bode well. 

I used to say things like this but then I bothered to study and learn more about box office.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, baumer said:

DP2 with a sexy 60% drop

It makes me smile imagining you asking random strangers what they thought of a movie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Solo was supposed to be a very high profile blockbuster film and part of one of the biggest franchises in the world. Nobody expected this to bomb, you have to invest money to earn money. A 90 million solo would barely look better than a TV movie. You win some, you loose some. Oh and solo is not making “that much money” , for 2018 standards , anyway.

IMO Jumanji 2 and other similar movies with a 90m budget looked pretty enough for the big screen, and out of the 100 movies released this year only 4 made more than Solo and only 7 others crossed 100m domestically. So, agree to disagree *shrugs*.

4 minutes ago, McNerdy said:

IMO Jumanji 2 and other similar movies with a 90m budget looked pretty enough for the big screen, and out of the 100 movies released this year only 4 made more than Solo and only 7 others crossed 100m domestically. So, agree to disagree *shrugs*.

Just about every blockbuster type of film will perform better than solo, this year , at least worldwide. Mentioning all the movies released at the theaters is a weird argument , to say the least.

• Like 1

last year when Wonder Woman opened, the Tuesday/Saturday ratio (June 6th/June 3rd) for the following films ...

Wonder Woman .41

Pirates: Tales .38

Captain Under .30

Baywatch .42

Galaxy Vol .34

Alien: Covenant .40

Everything, .45

Diary Wimpy .48

Snatched .40

King Arthur .40

BATB .36

Boss Baby .44

using some of these numbers here gives ...

Solo .32 = +33% - 3.94 / 155.90

Deadpool .36 = +32% - 3.49 / 260.64

Adrift .40 = +40% - 1.72 / 14.55

Infinity War .34 = +32% - 1.53 / 645.70

Book Club .48 = +21% - 1.32 / 49.97

Upgrade .44 = +23% - 0.743 / 6.02

Life of the Party .39 = +40% - 0.583  / 47.35

Breaking In .39 = +52% - 0.493 / 42.16

Action Point .42 = +27% - 0.377 / 3.06

A Quiet Place .40 = +34% - 0.318 / 184.08

Overboard .39 = +44% - 0.309 / 46.02

Show Dogs .40 = +20% - 0.260 / 15.08

Rampage .37 = +37% - 0.100 / 95.28

• Like 1

Book Club is popping up on the East Coast for fandango pulse suggesting theaters are opening at 8am on a Wednesday morning.  I'm guessing with the beginning of summer, theaters are likely to open earlier.  I don't see why Book Club would be popping up so much otherwise.  The summer solstice is Thursday, June 21st and A Wrinkle in Time could be going -33% from Sundays to Mondays