Water Bottle

Ocean's 8 Weekend Thread | O8: 41.5...Solo 15.1...DP2: 13.6...Hereditary: 13.0

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

That was exactly an example of someone feminizing a franchises, just one really well done. 

I don't know if that's entirely accurate.  I'd argue George Miller has always had something of a feminizing streak to his work... MM Beyond Thunderdome featured Tina Turner as Auntie, she made the rules in BarterTown and was in charge.  She was ultimately the antagonist of the story and given a somewhat complex role.  MMBT has an entire 2nd half of the movie that was about saving the children.  While not really feminist one could argue that's feminizing, or at a minimum non-masculine.  It was certainly different and unexpected for an action film at the time.

The feminizing of the franchise was already there, Fury Road just leaned into it more.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, aabattery said:

From the reactions I've seen, the cast of O8 is the one part that actually stands out so it seems a little misguided to blame the feminisation of the franchise as to why it's not getting an A+ reception.

Bring back Soderbergh for a sequel and then we'll be cooking.

The movie is good because of the cast, everything else is pretty lackluster.  The cast was good enough imo to make it overall enjoyable.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mekanos said:

Why do franchises that reboot with men get the okay but when they reboot with women it's seen as a slight?

I don't think the majority of people have a problem with O8 at all.  

8 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

I’d definitely see it, but it may be worth seeing post-theatrical run.

I had an annoying as hell audience.  There were a few people intentionally making sounds to mimic a certain essential sound in the movie.  People complaining, somebody stormed out of the theater right at the end and then it got a loud boo from someone.

Saw it with 5 people, I think I was the only one of the group that liked it, but they were casuals.

It was the girl's clucking from the trailer, right? :gold: 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

You mofos didn't answer me. I asked what trailers did yall get with O8? I wanna see whos going where in this great trailer tsunami.

The one I remember was the next Harry Potter, first time I saw it, I could see this work big time. Bumblebee also. Oh and a very long and strange Mamma Mia trailer.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

It was the girl's clucking from the trailer, right? :gold: 

Yup.  There were points where I couldn’t tell if it was from the movie or the audience.  

Not being into the movie doesn’t give people an excuse to mess with the experience for others.  It was so annoying.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ironically enough, HR posted an article earlier about why the Ghostbusters/Star Wars trolls didn't bother going after Ocean's 8.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/why-gender-swapped-oceans-8-has-avoided-ghostbusters-trolls-1117940

Personally, I think they all probably figured out early on "don't fuck with this particular group of actresses cause we will lose."

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pandamia! said:

Yup.  There were points where I couldn’t tell if it was from the movie or the audience.  

Not being into the movie doesn’t give people an excuse to mess with the experience for others.  It was so annoying.

That sucks. I’m scared to see this with an audience full of seniors that will ask too many questions to whoever they’re seeing it with :kitschjob:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

You mofos didn't answer me. I asked what trailers did yall get with O8? I wanna see whos going where in this great trailer tsunami.

I got Mamma Mia, Crazy Rich Asians, A Simple Favor, Life Itself, A Star is Born, Bad Times at the El Royale, and The Girl in the Spider's Web.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

That sucks. I’m scared to see this with an audience full of seniors that will ask too many questions to whoever they’re seeing it with :kitschjob:

There’ll be a certain scene near the end that’ll surely get the seniors fired up.  Be prepared for that.

• Astonished 1

7 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

Not being into the movie doesn’t give people an excuse to mess with the experience for others.

I would be curious if that change from state to state and country to country, I almost never had any of that and I went to many bad cinemascore movie in recent year's, including Hereditary, mother! 2 time, I come at night and so on. The only instance I can remember is someone saying something one time during Blade Runner 2049. I often see people leaving, sleep, play on their phone quitting on the movie or displeased and saying it loud once the movie end (someone shouted "Finally!" when Silence generic started and a couple of people agreeing), but never trying to mess up the experience for others.

Maybe it is the runtime I go to the movies, if I would go to 19:00 type presentation maybe I would encounter that more.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Ironically enough, HR posted an article earlier about why the Ghostbusters/Star Wars trolls didn't bother going after Ocean's 8.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/why-gender-swapped-oceans-8-has-avoided-ghostbusters-trolls-1117940

Personally, I think they all probably figured out early on "don't fuck with this particular group of actresses cause we will lose."

Not sure how right they are here too:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5164214/ratings?ref_=tt_ov_rt

16.8% 1/10 votes on IMDB is a lot.

Even close to Ghostbuster 17.4% :

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1289401/ratings

Maybe they are, with only 5,000 votes in it is simply that the small group of trolls have still a big weight, it will be hidden when the movie will get a couple of 10 of thousands of more vote. And not big enough to call it some campaign.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The director did not engage with trolls calling them sexist/racist?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I would be curious if that change from state to state and country to country, I almost never had any of that and I went to many bad cinemascore movie in recent year's, including Hereditary, mother! 2 time, I come at night and so on. The only instance I can remember is someone saying something one time during Blade Runner 2049. I often see people leaving, sleep, play on their phone quitting on the movie or displeased and saying it loud once the movie end (someone shouted "Finally!" when Silence generic started and a couple of people agreeing), but never trying to mess up the experience for others.

Maybe it is the runtime I go to the movies, if I would go to 19:00 type presentation maybe I would encounter that more.

I rarely have this problem, this case seems more like an exception

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Why do franchises that reboot with men get the okay but when they reboot with women it's seen as a slight?

Why indeed :sparta:

And I love the "make original movies instead" posts like they ain't see that 90% of every year's top 10 grossers list is #brands

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Many Americans are narcissists who think they rule the room wherever they are. With theaters, some feel they're entitled to talk during a movie (not including obnoxious teens in here because they just want attention) and get EXTREMELY offended if you ask them to be quiet. It's more prevalent in certain areas, especially rural places like where I live. A lot of the people in rural areas aren't as educated as other areas and can be oblivious to certain things (not trying to be political here). In my area, seniors are the dominant demo and think they own it. This isn't just limited to theaters; going out to the store can be frustrating when seniors snide at you or make rude comments. I'm constantly looked down upon when shopping, and it annoys the hell out of me.

Conversely, my moviegoing experiences in Orlando have been better. Granted, I only see movies there in IMAX, but people very rarely speak. If they react, it'll be to a joke or plot twist. I only had an issue with a group in their late teens/early 20s talking once, and they shut up after I told them to. Rude people exist everywhere, but I notice them less in the city. That's just my view.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Not sure how right they are here too:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5164214/ratings?ref_=tt_ov_rt

16.8% 1/10 votes on IMDB is a lot.

Even close to Ghostbuster 17.4% :

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1289401/ratings

Maybe they are, with only 5,000 votes in it is simply that the small group of trolls have still a big weight, it will be hidden when the movie will get a couple of 10 of thousands of more vote. And not big enough to call it some campaign.

Ghostbusters started out insanely low because of the trolls. Two years after release, that's all pretty much subsided.

IMDB is a cesspool of hate that tends to downvote anything seen as "progressive" (in other words, anything that isn't about straight white men). Just cause they deleted the forums doesn't mean they're rid of the trolls.

• Like 1